ordering custom aquarium help

Cvbvllero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to order a 240 gallon tank. 8'x2'x2'. Where is the best place to order a custom built tank online? I would like the tank to have black silicone but can live without it. I would also like to have a metal stand that looks like the ones used in "tanked". If you know of any websites to have one built please let me know. Thank you!

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out reef savvy or coast to coast aquariums. Both companies make some of the nicest tanks out there. They're not cheap by any means, but you get what you pay for.

OP
OP
Cvbvllero

Cvbvllero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out reef savvy or coast to coast aquariums. Both companies make some of the nicest tanks out there. They're not cheap by any means, but you get what you pay for.
Thank you! I will check those out!

jolt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should know that the current reef savvy wait time is approximately 6 months ... Didn't stop me, though, I have a 150 gallon on order :)

ssdawood

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Also don't forget tank is a one time purchase. Everything else can be upgraded except tank. So don't go cheap. Get the one u really want.

OP
OP
Cvbvllero

Cvbvllero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you guys for all the advice and help! Much appreciated!

gidenski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By not cheap, what's a good price per liter or gallon figure to use? I'm interested in this subject as well, but I want to know if I should start emailing when I have $5 or $10 k set aside for the tank. I'm looking right about the same size.

jolt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My custom Reef Savvy came in at approximately $22 per gallon. There are several cost factors, perhaps most importantly the thickness of glass. Mine had to be 3/4" thick glass.

gidenski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My custom Reef Savvy came in at approximately $22 per gallon. There are several cost factors, perhaps most importantly the thickness of glass. Mine had to be 3/4" thick glass.

I went ahead and contacted them as well and I'm right around where you are. Thinking to ditch the phantom bottom to go 2 sides vs. 3. I can only imagine the shipping quote.

jolt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went ahead and contacted them as well and I'm right around where you are. Thinking to ditch the phantom bottom to go 2 sides vs. 3. I can only imagine the shipping quote.

If you don't need the phantom it can definitely save you money. I have not gotten my shipping quote yet, but I'm definitely saving my pennies between now and then!

Oh! I just noticed you are from Bulgaria, I had no idea they could ship there ...

I would think maybe an ELOS would be a little closer to you :)

gidenski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh! I just noticed you are from Bulgaria, I had no idea they could ship there ...

I'm a US expat and will be returning in the next year. Just being proactive in my planning as it's going to take some time and patience to convince my wife this tank build is inevitable!

cheezybuda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you decide on reef savvy, expect a very long lead time. I was quoted at 6 months, but another of the local club members has been waiting for 9 months...

jolt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We may be thinking of the same person, but I know someone currently going through a similar experience. I don't really expect mine in six months either :(

nick12881

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also look at Planet Aquariums out of Texas. They are the engineers from the original Oceanic and they make some really nice tanks. The prices on their custom work are some of the best I have found too. I have worked with all three too. Reef Savvy, Miracles and Planet. You really can't go wrong with any of them.

jerseyshark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having a custom 280 Peninsula tank built and I recently got quotes on glass and acrylic tanks. For Acrylic tanks there's Advance Acrylics in Cali, Mid West Custom Aquariums and MRC. For Glass tanks Planet Aquariums builds reasonable glass tanks. There's also Glass cages in Tenn. Planet Aquariums builds tanks with 1 inch PVC bottoms. MRC also build glass and Hybrid tanks. I decided to go Acrylic and looks like I'm I may be choosing MRC. I'm planning a trip to there manufacturing facility next week which is not far from my house.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.8%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 74 43.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back