Our 400 Gallon In Wall Natural Sun-Lit Reef

Deep_Six Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those sun domes are great. Have you put a par meter under them? The tank looks great, I like how you say you feel like you're snorkeling in your living room, I can just imagine!

Rob.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been following this thread from the beginning but I've never posted...shame on me...but after reading your post from the other day, it seams that I should at least say something. Well,I hope I don't sound like a fool, Joe, you are a much stronger man than myself, I honestly do not think I could handle such grief and heartbreak. It is ridiculously obvious that you loved your wife very much, your post celebrating your anniversary where you loaded the bed of your truck with rose petals filled balloons just simply brought me to tears, but not in a bad way,I think it was the way you must have loved your wife so much. If there is one thing I can do is take something positive and that is to show a little more love and appreciation to my wife. I hope=you find peace one day and may that day come soon. Last but not least, your tank is amazing, and if you decide to move to Ashville, NC, you have a friend not to far away in Knoxville, TN.

OP
OP
jdpiii3

jdpiii3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the tank isn’t the way everyone remembers last seeing it, and I’m sorry for the lack of updates as of right now I’m going to keep the tank up and running. I’ve started working on getting things back slowly, things are shaping up and everyone is well fed and happy.

OP
OP
jdpiii3

jdpiii3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I write this I’m on another journey flying across this great Nation to see RUSH’s R40 Live this weekend’s stop was in Denver, Colorado we’ve been here many times to see RUSH. One of the most memorable would have to be in 2002 during the Vapor Trails tour Blake and his family drove in from Albuquerque, New Mexico and met Kelly and me here. I remember that weekend and the great times we spent together. I do so miss those times, now those wonderful times are just memories.

As I continue on my journey to finding myself the loneliness I feel weights on my heart and mind. Hoping somewhere out there I’ll find that happiness once again, the struggle is real and never ending. The emotional strength it takes to push away the fear is exhausting and at times it knocks me down but it’s something I must do if I want to be healthy again, to live again, and to love again.

I started to feel alone and abandoned in a pretty short time after Kelly’s passing. Grief is a greedy monster. It is not satisfied with tearing my heart to pieces, no, it has to rip my world to shreds too. I had people around me that I trusted; I took them at their word. Pretty sad time to have trust broken as well as life as I knew it. It leaves this emptiness where not so fine emotions rush in to fill the void. Many have promised to be there for me, truthfully only a few were. For some bizarre reason, I accept that they turned their backs on me within weeks of my deepest sorrow. A trust that was already shaken becomes broken. I feel that loss keenly but in time, it is part of my new ‘normal.'

Loneliness is a big hurdle in this life now. When the one you love is gone, the loneliness is almost intolerable. That is true in break-up relationships, triple true in death. When it is a relationship break-up, you are aware that they are somewhere out there in the world and you could see them again. In death, I know there is no seeing her in this world. I am lonely for her voice, smile, laughter, hugs and kissing. In a crowd of a 20,000 I am alone, for I am the only one who knows my own mind, but it is never felt as keenly as it is when you lose someone. So many empty places now echo in the silence. You don't realize, until they are gone, just how big a space they occupied in your life.

I have always be a loner from childhood. Never cared much for crowds or even letting people too close to me. People have power to hurt, being alone takes that power away. I have allowed a few in to that place. I hold back parts of who I am and still give to those I love. Kelly taught me to give, to love, to share and to hurt more deeply than I ever thought it was possible to hurt. To lose one is to lose it all, to become alone again within. Loneliness has many shades and shadows. My heart craves for what was. This new life is terrifying.

Slowly, in time, I start to learn to live with this. Fighting it just makes me carry the sharp spikes of grief beyond the limits of my ability to survive. Yes, grief will always be there, loneliness will stay but I can walk upright. I can get use to anything if it lives with me long enough. It becomes bitter-sweet and a part of who I am. I am always aware that it is there, but it does not have to dominate every waking and sleeping moment. I will eventually find things to take my mind away be it a hobby or work or RUSH concerts. Maybe even helping others over the first humps of sorrow... something, anything to give proof of my existence.

Not long after Kelly died, I had family turn on me. The emotions that caused, along with my sorrow, was a bit shocking. Though the hurt could not come close to the loss of Kelly, it still caused more sadness on top of what I was already dealing with. It changed how I trust, accept, and interact with others. Death alone changes your world, but what comes with it helps destroy it. I learned hard lessons and I am rebuilding my life. It is not totally rebuilt, that will always be in progress. There is no hate for I don't have the room or patience for it. There is the loneliness, but I am learning to live with it. Sometimes, it jumps up and smacks me in the face. I stop for a while and then go on my way.

This week, I received communication from a few people out of my past. I am not so alone after all. They have been where I am and understand me. Knowing that few understand where I am, and where I am going is what makes this journey so lonely. It makes a difference when those who do not understand refrain from judging or giving advice. It makes a difference when they don't get it, but are still there for you. It makes the loneliness, less. I don't expect people to understand but I do expect them to accept, maybe my expectations are too high. So that is something I am working on. I am learning to turn my mind away from those who hurt me and more toward those who have supported me. I live with the loneliness I have for Kelly. I will not get a phone call or see her. That is loneliness that is alone in grief. The rest can sort itself out. The people I have met since Kelly’s passing have been good, caring, decent people. The friends who care are wonderful.

As I stand in a sea of cheering happy people I’ll make new friends all helping to break my shell a bit more and for a while I’ll forget that I am alone I can get lost and enjoy the show remembering the good times making new happy memories.

I know there are many out there who have lost someone and feel so completely alone. Just telling you that you are not alone will not make you feel less so. Being around people who allow you to be you will. Finding people, who understand that loneliness, will. They are everywhere. Find them, for your sake.

'Forever a Husband.'

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank still looks awesome bud, love the look of the two sided in wall. Great choices on fish too, they all look nice and healthy. Hope you have a great time at Rush, Denver is an awesome city. Check out the aquarium while your there if you haven't before, it's worth the visit.

OP
OP
jdpiii3

jdpiii3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, It's a far cry from where it was but will be back even better soon. Slacking on daily tank maintenance, less then perfect water chemistry and infestation of asterina starfish caused some big problems.

OP
OP
jdpiii3

jdpiii3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Becoming me. Again.

My wife left this world on June 2, 2013. This was the last day of my life. For the past 2 years I have struggled daily with memories, guilt, remorse, anger, confusion and loneliness. Finally, I have been able to let go of most of these feelings. I was the best I could have been at that time with what I knew and had. I cannot apologize for loving someone as much as I did and still do. No, my life with my wife was not perfect. We made mistakes, we would fight and be angry at each other for days. But even in the heat of an argument we would care for each other’s feelings. Even during a fight we could find ways to still be silly, and make each other laugh. She made my heart flutter and I gave her chills with my smile. First love feeling were always there, it had never totally left. We kept that thought and I believe this is what kept us together. This grief thing is one twisted thing.

Some of our friends have branded me as “The model of what a Good Spouse does”. Oh please, no titles. I was her husband. I am not a model of anything. nuh, uh. Not me. I believe, for me, you can get through what you have to. Some of it can sit on the side until you are ready to go through it, but it never goes away. Trust me, it multiplies until you deal with it. I did what needed to be done. That is it. Could I have done better? Of course. Would I do it again? Yes, no question. I immersed myself into taking care of anything my wife needed. I never thought of it as a sacrifice or a “job”, it was what needed to be done. Was it easy, um… no. But that didn’t matter to me. Not at that time. Still doesn’t.

During Kelly’s battle with her illness, anytime I had the nerve to vocalize how desperately tired I was, I was wracked with guilt. I clearly remember just wanting a few minutes to sleep and smacking myself awake knowing that I needed to spend as much time as I could with Kelly. I still see her eyes with tears in them when she looked at me and knew how exhausted I was. I would smile and do something silly, dance, sing, whatever, it didn’t matter.

I cannot believe our Anniversary is almost here, it will be my third without her. I have had to learn how to live my life over again. The world has lost its magic, now, I am a stranger on a strange planet and I am ready to get off of this world. I look at those I love, I know I still love them, but the glue has flaked away. The night Kelly passed away in my arms, it was an immediate change, not gradual, but immediate. My eyes see, my mind denies. A fog envelopes until you are ready to acknowledge what your eyes have told you. I'm not sure if I even realize that my mind was protecting me until I finally stepped out into the light again and looked back into the darkness. I shudder to think how much worse it might have been without that layer of protection? I cannot even imagine that it could be worse, with the horror already felt.

I wonder if that is why the second year seemed so much more painful. The veil that separated me is slowly lifting, allowing me to feel more. I don't want to feel more, but do know that it also dampened my feelings toward everything, not just her loss. Like getting the feeling back in a limb that went to sleep. Does that mean I am stronger now so I can take more? Whoa, I don't know, I don't feel stronger.

2 years. I go past the flowerbeds in my yard and I remember how beautiful and full of love they once were. Now my heart hurts to look at them and how overgrown they have become, 28 months. It makes me look back and see how much has happened over this time. How in the hell did I get here? I still cry on a near daily basis. It is a different cry from the gut wrenching first year. It is almost a new grieving. I know it is time for me to be me again. The face that everyone has been seeing is a façade. Putting on a smile every day when inside all I wanted was to do is curl up in a ball and cry, mourning for me. I cannot do that anymore. It has taken me 2 years to learn how to be me again.

I will miss Kelly for the rest of my life. That is a fact. I will grieve for my loss until… I don’t know how long. I will undoubtedly experience days of horrible sadness. Birthdays, Anniversaries and Holidays will continue to pass. I want to live again. I can no longer just “survive”. Kelly fell in love with the clever, quick witted, sometimes hysterically funny, compassionate, hardworking, family loving, man from Northport. She loved the energy I put into everything. She admired my enthusiasm. And my “I can do anything” attitude. She “got” me. How am I honoring her memory by disguising myself? This woman, whose energy and spirit envelops me, would want me to be Joseph. She sees my struggles. I have had some very comforting “visits” from my wife. Each one brings a significant meaning or “message” for me. I would never expect anyone to understand them. She does not want this for me.

I believe people are brought into my life at the exact moment they are supposed to. In my mind, this epiphany is happening at the exact moment it is supposed to. I was not in a place before now where this was an option. I am not ashamed to admit that I have sought professional guidance. One of the best things I have done for me. Grief is as individual as the person we mourn. There is no one size answer. When it is time to “get it” you will. Grief is part of a life lesson.

For so long after Kelly’s death, I have looked at the future spinning out before me, empty. To conceive that it would be my life now without her anywhere in the world. It brought home what 'live in the moment' means. I could die now, or not for many years. Grief can hold me spell bound, unable to move. The fear of the years ahead, the fear of losing others. In the big scope of things, living another hundred years would still be just a tiny drop in the bucket of time. Even though it is hard to drag my mind away, I am learning to live in the moment. I am learning to incorporate grief into my life so it does not rule my every waking thought. It is there, but it does not have to cloud everything. My future is not empty, I just don't know what’s in it. More mystery to contemplate.

I have been through hell. Truly. Honest to God, I look over the past 2 years and I am completely speechless. Befuddled. I have experienced every emotion and the bruises are still healing. I have doubted my existence and questioned my actions long enough. I am trying not to do this anymore. I have to learn to give myself permission to release these feelings.

Two years ago, my wife Kelly went to Heaven. Today I grieve and celebrate. Not just for her. For me too. Today I resume being the person I have always been, just a bit different. A bit older and wiser but the person she fell in love with all those years ago. Words may fail me, but yet there are so many that do know what I am trying to say. I will continue trying to say it because maybe one day, I will accidentally run across the right words and my pain will be validated. I’m taking the steps needed back into my life. Deep breath, it's time for me.

Forever a Husband.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gabriel Garcia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just read through your entire thread and I wanted to say something to show you how touched I am by your words. You are brave to share your feelings with us.
My wife is sick and we are struggling with her fight against lupus among other things. We are at the hospital weekly for one thing or another. She is the love of my life and it's hard watching her struggle and in pain. One thing you have given me and I can take away from your experience is to cherish every single moment I have with her. God willing it's a long time. Thank you for sharing your story. We will continue to fight and live our lives together for as long as we have.
As you said words don't come close to showing how we truly feel. I cant imagine how I would feel if I lose her. I don't want to. So I can't begin to imagine your pain. All I can say is stay strong. My belief is that you will be reunited one day.

OP
OP
jdpiii3

jdpiii3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I am grateful for each and every person who has let me know they were thinking of Kelly and me and continue to do so. It helped ease my heart to know that others think of me, and care about me. For so long after Kelly’s death, I have looked at the future spinning out before me, empty. It has been your stories, your lives, your happiness and joy that has kept my path lit while mine was so dark. Never has a road been so hard to walk as the road of loss of a wife, and the life changes that occurred and continues to happen. I’m on a journey and it is just the beginning. It is beginning in a new vein, a new light and a new path.

There are times the scars on my heart rip wide open, shedding tears of hurt and grief. For a little while, I am back to square one, feeling the raw pain of her passing. I still hear her laughter, the sound of her voice, and the smell of her perfume. I see the light that shone so brightly from her eyes, and I see them closed in eternal sleep. No, it does not get easier, but it does change from day to day, moment to moment.

I live my days differently now. I am more grateful for each and every day. I am more aware, living in the moment for life can change in a moment… Love equals pain when one loses a wife. It brings fear of loss to the front of everything I do. Life is so fleeting after all.

The loss will not go away, how could it? I learn though, I learn how to walk this rocky road, I learn to avoid the pitfalls that trigger my sorrow. I learn to see the sunrise as beautiful again instead of another long day away from Kelly. The questions of loss will be there, but in time, I quit asking for answers, for I realize that there is no one who has the answer. My heart will weep, break open, reknit, break again. The scars are not strong for they hold my love for my wife and will open often. I learn to accept that and take the next step.

Life will go on, for now, no one lives forever. There will be hard days, and days that are not so hard. I will cry, but I will also laugh. I talk about Kelly often for she was involved in so many things in our life that we shared together. So many memories. I wish there were more than memories, but I learn to be grateful for what I have and let go of what I cannot change. I hope Kelly knows how loved she is.

I learn to cope and compensate. Healing and recovery is about accepting the reality of the loss over time. But getting over the people we loved and have lost would mean forgetting or somehow pretending they never existed. Ridiculous. Impossible. I’ll never get over missing Kelly. But I will get through this time.

I hold on to Kelly’s lessons and will use them as I move forward along my new path. I will continue to choose to love. I have loved and have been loved, there’s no better feeling in this whole world. To love with no strings attached, no hidden agendas, no mind games just straight forward and honest love. That when we give ourselves to others we receive far more in return. That tomorrow may never come, if it’s worth doing, do it today. To resolve all disagreements or arguments and never let them stew – we can’t control other people, but we can control our own response and we can forgive them even if they don’t forgive us. To keep going no matter what. To be aware of ourselves and our impact on the way we think and the way we perceive others. To trust your heart as well as your head. Go to Disney, often! To take time for myself. To enjoy a decent bottle of wine. Pray

I will continue to grow. I will continue to develop. I will continue to go to Disney…and RUSH concerts(come on guys! Back out on tour!) I will continue to pray. And will continue to choose to love. I will continue to live my life to the fullest possible with the love and support of those people closest to me, and if you are one of those people – thank you, I love you from the bottom of my heart!

OP
OP
jdpiii3

jdpiii3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
12661783_10208287065154971_4302596123628306161_n.jpg

Just stopping by to say hello!

Slm222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been riveted to this thread and read it all in a couple hours. I hope your doing well.

I will be doing solar tubes on my next tank.

Nicknackzz13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
During the build my wife was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer it has spread to her liver and both lungs. She had major surgery to remove the tumor she has been in chemotherapy 3 days a week since November. The build has taken a back seat. We still work on the tank when time permits.

So many areas of the build still need a lot of work.

Some of my daily care of the system include

Water Changes

Daily 1-2% gallon water changes

Dose

I’ve been dosing 50ml of vinegar daily
Tropic Marin Bio Calcium // AquaVitro Fuel

Feeding

Reef Nutrition // Phyto Feast // Arcti Pods // Oyster Feast
Rods Food, Nori, mysis , all with a Selcon soak

Current Water parameters

S.G. 1.0255 - 1.026 Ph 8.1-8.3 // NH3-4 0.00// NO2 0.0 //NO3 0.0 //PO4 0.0 //Mg 1450 //Ca 490 // Alk 9.4

why do you use vinegar? what does it do bud? lovely tank btw!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 32.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 17 25.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 17 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back