• Rear glass overflow

Votes: 23 76.7%

• Total voters

joeyhatch11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to get some insight from my fellow reefers on this topic. If you had the option when having a tank built to go with a full corner/center overflow box or a rear glass overflow, such as ghost overflow or Glass-Holes, which would you choose?

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hands down, one of the unconventional "rear mounted" for the simple reason that they take up very little space. I could never understand those behemoth overflows going from top to bottom and taking up so much room.....and to boot, ugly.

And FYI, I have a 1500 Glass-Holes overflow on my 90 DT.

OP
OP
joeyhatch11

joeyhatch11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mame would be along the lines of the rear glass overflow I guess, being that it has a small foot print.

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 75g Planet Aquarium tank that had a rear external glass overflow box. I loved it because it was so easy to access the plumbing.

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Installed a Synergy Overflow on my 93 Cube and love it. Very minimal in tank footprint and quiet. Only downside is the space needed behind it which is negligible as I like have room behind the tank to work if needed.

OP
OP
joeyhatch11

joeyhatch11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel people only put up with corner overflows due to buying a reef ready tank. Maybe custom builds are too expensive or there is a fear of drilling a tank too.

Ed Hahn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tagging along. I am looking for overflows for my rack display - 3 eighty gallon tanks.

Ed Hahn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like simplicity. Custom Aquariums has a nice design with H20 overflow. I witnessed one. I am not sure what to think. My friend was moving a small amount of water. Maybe more water it would be more quiet? I like quiet and simple.

Zoomer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glass Holes overflows are on both my tanks, and I'm quite happy with them. I had a corner flow on my old 120, and didn't hate it, but I will never buy on of those again as they take up so much space.

Zoomer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Double post - so I'll add that the down side of the Glass Holes type over flows can be the amount of space they take up behind the tank. Also, be mindful about where you drill in relation to the water line. On one of my tanks the bit walked lower on me a little and I chased it. I ended up with the overflow box placement making my water line almost below my canopy...

ss95003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Notched tank top and external box. Takes up no tank space and the tank doesn't have to be drilled anywhere.

Above would be my first choice, second would be the smallest internal footprint which would likely be the "ghost".
I still not understand the people ordering custom tanks from Reef Savvy with the ghost, if you are going custom 100% external is a no brainer IMO.

DanConnor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mean the siphon type overflows?

No, those are the worst. I mean where where the top edge of the back of the tank is cut a bit lower, and it overflows into an external box where your drain pipes are. People refer to long ones as "coast-to-coast" overflow.

Here's a nice write up, although I would have made his box a bit deeper: http://www.glassreef.com/basics_overflow.php

KingTriton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im personally not a fan of glass-holes. Too loud even when using the mesh in my experience.

Terry4505

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Synergy Reef Overflow on my 180. Dead silent. I mean dead silent. I absolutely love it. Worth every penny. The tank is a room divider between my kitchen and living room and needed to be quiet.

sundog101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, those are the worst. I mean where where the top edge of the back of the tank is cut a bit lower, and it overflows into an external box where your drain pipes are. People refer to long ones as "coast-to-coast" overflow.

Here's a nice write up, although I would have made his box a bit deeper: http://www.glassreef.com/basics_overflow.php
That's really cool, I've never seen those before

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

• I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Back