Parameters with Triton Elementz

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

djbetterly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what is the best way to get my calcium down, just stop dosing Calcium for a few days?

I saw this in the manual, so I'm presuming that what I should do..

You may also find that your Calcium or Magnesium start to rise due to the corals taking up excess Alk which of course makes
you increase your dose. This can be remedied by reducing the dose of the relevant solution until the level drops back in line.
Solution 2 for Ca, solution 3 for Mg.

Last edited:

gpwdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to dose equal amounts of all the elementz and don't want to have unequal amounts left over. So I lower all the elementz together and add extra BRS soda ash for the extra alkalinity uptake.

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!
at the beginning of my triton I noticed my cal was rising. There was a few intermittent days where I would stop the dosing and add my ALK from my original 2 part.
it took a little while for everything to balance out but it did.
a lot of testing for the fist 30 days.
don't get too frustrated just stay on top of your numbers.

Very well said gpwdr

gpwdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The beauty of this reef keeping method is you don't have to nock yourself out trying to follow the numbers. The Triton Manual explains how the Ca and Mg will balance themselves out.

How do “BASE ELEMENTZ” work?

Adding “BASE ELEMENTZ” supplements the water with the desired substances (refer to page 8, Fig. 1).

This means that substances are consciously introduced into the tank by using “BASE ELEMENTZ”. The

removal of aquarium water based on an established quotient in turn keeps these values stable.

The functional factors of the operating principle include:

1. The quantity of substances in “BASE ELEMENTZ” (controlled)

2. The quantity of substances in the aquarium

3. The quantity of water removed from the aquarium (controlled)

Example:

10 mg/l of substance X is contained in TRITON “BASE ELEMENTZ” and 1 mg/l in the aquarium water. The

TRITON method effectively increases substance X in the aquarium water to 10 mg/l. The quotient of the

quantity removed from the tank water is directly linked to “BASE ELEMENTZ”. This means: The controlled

removal of water ensures that the content of substance X in the aquarium water cannot rise above this

dosage (refer to Fig. 2.1).

I dose 204 ml per day for 145 gallon system if the salinity rise then 371 ml of water is removed per day.

http://www.triton-lab.de/en/triton-method/method-calculator/

Gene

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good post Gene
sorry forgot your name earlier
skimming is a good effective way at pulling the needed water out.
I run my skimmer dry for 3 days out of the week then I manually remove the water

Love triton!

OP
OP
djbetterly

djbetterly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was under the impression that the reason for removal of water was to correct for the sheer amount liquid being put back into the aquarium. The problem I'm having is my calcium levels are averaging between 550-600, while my alk is stable at 8 and Magnesium 1400. The only element I can't seem to get down is the calcium.

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its to keep salinity right.
stop dosing all elementz and let the calcium fall naturally
keep adding your ALK (not the elementz)
this will bounce around a few times but will stabilize

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add your 2 part alk or you will come out uneven with your elementz later down the road

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh well if you are able to I would say test it.
I test every 30-40 days for now
just to make sure that there is no overdosing of elementz

OP
OP
djbetterly

djbetterly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Valid point....not sure I can justify the cost to do it that often. My LFS, which is owned by Unique Corals who brought triton to the U.S., claims that if I do it every 4-6 months that is more than reasonable. If it was cheaper I would definitely do it more.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The beauty of this reef keeping method is you don't have to nock yourself out trying to follow the numbers. The Triton Manual explains how the Ca and Mg will balance themselves out.
e

That's the beauty of any two part that is well designed. You really only need to monitor alkalinity, and calcium and magnesim should follow along just fine, with perhaps only rare corrections needed. :)

Triton US

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree too. On the systems I have seen, occasionally Ca and Mg do get a bit out of line and the best cure is to find the lowest common denominator of daily dosing that keeps the alk, ca and mg in check, then supplement just the one or two other items that need boosting. The parameters do seem to come back inline fairly quickly. The more established, diverse and healthy the system is the more the levels will probably stay balanced. Even the algae in the refugium and coraline algae play their parts. Although the BRS products should work perfectly fine, Triton does offer very clean products- Alk, Ca and Mg intended for this very purpose.
-Joe

OP
OP
djbetterly

djbetterly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you're saying the same as @twilliard, stop dosing ca and magnesium and continue dosing alkalinity. My mag isn't far off, last I checked I believe it was around 1400-1450. So would you suggest the same, dose alk only and wait until calc comes back into check then restart triton...

I need to pick up some two part locally, some where in NJ or NY, any suggestions? I know Manhattan aquariums usually carries the ESV, which I have used in the past. Not sure if MA carries the triton alk supplement though.

Triton US

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Manhattan Aquarium does have pretty much the entire line of Triton products now. Just letting you guys on the east coast know. manhattanaquariums.com

Back