Pink linkia?

Reef Creeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up this starfish from my lfs about a month ago and he was a model citizen for a few weeks. Last week however, I caught him snacking on my setosa so I threw him in the sump for now. It was sold to me as a pink knobby linkia from Fiji and I was told it was reef safe but I can't seem to find any more info on it. I'd like to keep him as he's the coolest thing in my tank by far but I'd rather not lose a couple thousand dollars worth of coral either. Any idea what this guy is or if he's reef safe or not?

abecker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found another site that had a picture similar to yours. They had it named Echinaster echinophorus. When I checked liveaquaria it listed it as not reef safe. I may be wrong but the starfish I found looked very similar.

Jayman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg

OP
OP
Reef Creeper

Reef Creeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's funny, my kids call him Patrick.

I looked up echinaster echinophorus and aside from them both having "thorns" or "knobs" mine appears to be something different. Maybe they are related but to me it looks a lot like a linkia which made sense to me when I bought it. Looked just like the blue linkia I had in a previous setup. I'll try and get a couple different pics up.

OP
OP
Reef Creeper

Reef Creeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, after more research I think have this guy properly identified as Mithrodia Fisheri. They are native to Hawaii, and not commonly found at scuba depths. Not from Fiji and definitely not a Linkia. Burned by the lfs again. Anybody want a montipora eating starfish?

Back