Please Read Before Posting or ID'ing in This Section

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there :bigsmile:

One of the more enjoyable aspects of this hobby (for many at least, myself included) is discussing and sharing with fellow reefers about what’s currently in each other’s tanks. With corals that have a massive variety of colorations within a single species, it becomes difficult to identify them purely based on scientific names. As a result, hobby names based on physical appearance and coloration have become much more prevalent in the community so discussion of the corals is made much easier.

With Zoas and Palys, this is even more prevalent as almost all hobby-present varieties are found within a very few distinct species. Where stony corals can be distinguished at least by their anatomical structuring to some degree, with Zoas and Palys (Z’s and P’s) we really are left with nothing more than coloration to guide us.

As such, the ZoaID forum is here to help you identify what variety of Z&P you may have, or to share with others what already-established name(s) are out there for their Z&P’s. That said, please remember a few things when browsing this section:

-Names are given for ease of identification, nothing more. For a coral to bear a name does not give it, nor take away from it, any intrinsic value. Additionally, there are more than a few vendors in the U.S. alone, and there is no obligation by those vendors to stay in near-constant communication with each other to ensure that all like-colored Z&P’s are being referred to by the same name. As such you will find multiple upon multiple of different names for identical Z&P’s. In such cases the name that has been ‘around’ for the longest, typically is considered the ‘truest’ name.

-Names are made up by people no more talented than you or I. For something to be named a certain way, as of yet, means nothing more than that is what a person chose to call it on the given day they happened to put up the name (there are a few exceptions, such as ‘hornets’ but for now this is the most extensive rule.) Many are named by vendors at the time of sale, many are not and come into the hands of a hobbiest without already having a name. If you get no responses to your initial inquiry for a name, understand that perhaps the Z&P simply does not have a name yet. Posts of “cmon, no one knows what these are?†are not helpful if your goal is to discuss the name of the Z&P, you will get far more help asking “any ideas what they might be close to?â€

-Many Z&P’s ARE known by a specific name, and many people select their purchases based upon a name because they know what that name represents in the coral. In these cases, keep in mind it is not the name that is being purchased, it is the coral that is known by that name (typically these have spectacular colorations or patterns that breed discussion about them, making them known).

-Frustratingly, as many Z&P’s do have high price tags associated with them, so called “knock-offs†or “second generation†named Z&P’s exist, or simply Z&P’s that are similar enough to a named one that a seller will pass them off (either knowingly or not) as something they are not. In such cases, please understand the community is simply offering their advice as to the accuracy of a name, and is not discussing inherent value of the specific Z or P. Again, value discussions are not the point of this section.

-That said, just having a Z&P without a previously known name will not (and usually does not) imply that the Z&P is going to be a highly sought after coral that will fetch a good price. The purpose of this section is not to seek out and find Z&P’s for the purpose of turning them around for sale-rather it is solely for finding and sharing names for those that already have names, or discussing names that may fit a Z&P for a particular reason.

-Please understand, that again, the purpose of this section is as stated above-for identifying Z&P’s that have existing names, or discussing potential names that fit Z&P’s without previously established names. Any discussions aimed at generating interest for selling of corals or “hyping†is not acceptable, here as elsewhere on Reef2Reef, and the thread will quickly be removed from the section.

-That said, have fun, post your pictures (the clearer, crisper, and more close up the better,) and have fun!

kershak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IM NEW(2 and 1/2 years only) in the hobby and this forum help me to do things that i never do thanks (just learning from the best)

Bio-nut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Brian what brough about this? Or did you and Jay get in another one of your philosophical dicussions?

OP
OP
drainbamage

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Brian what brough about this? Or did you and Jay get in another one of your philosophical dicussions?

Hah, no, the jerk has been busy "getting married" or something silly like that :tongue:

I think this forum is a lot of fun, and perhaps doesn't get as much use as it could just because of some of the things I posted about-having a general idea of what the place is for, and specifically not-for, will hopefully be beneficial.

And it was 2 am and nothing good was on TV, and the tank lights were out.

cbswindle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please ID these for me!
utapara7.jpg
vymegagu.jpg
amatuha5.jpg

Dream2aReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry Just realized I forgot to back out of this thread back to the main area before posting. I'll get this to the correct thread as soon as I figure out how to delete these posts. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Rob Top1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is perhaps the best forum idea I have ever seen. While new Here i have been on some forums for over a decade and felt the pls id threads got lost in the mix. If I may be so bold to suggest a forum for eye candy threads separate from discussion threads. Love looking at others collection for sure but people who need help or discover something new in husbandry have their ideas lost in the eye candy flood.

Back