Popcorn ceiling killing my hard coral?

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
stray voltage with ac can be hard to diagnose as there is induction and the meter you use can make it hard to get a good reading. I had problems with voltage readings and it turned out to be a bad power supply for two of my Jebao pumps. If you have a ph probe it will give erroneous readings with stray voltage. Lots of things may take 1-3 weeks to show up in your corals.

OP
OP
Wiz

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so confused. I was telling my wife about the voltage issue when I got home about 10:30 and had to show her. At this time the timer that controls my lights was off. But everything else was running. When I plug the multimeter in I got a reading of 9. It makes absolutely no sense. I thought it must have something to do with the lights because that's the only difference. So I turn the lights on and read it again and it dropped to 8.6. Earlier when I got the 44 reading I had just about 4 times to make sure. I tested this one multiple times to make sure to. I have no idea why there would be such a big discrepancy from afternoon till night.
I thought maybe the heater since it's intermittent. So I turned that on but still 8.6.

Clueless.....

OP
OP
Wiz

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just tested again and it reads 6 right now. Geeeeez how is this possible

aaron23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
stop what you're doing and run carbon. its got to be something in the water if all your parameters are right.

o wow just read the above is that stray voltage?

OP
OP
Wiz

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always run a bag of rox 8. If it was the water wouldn't all the corals be going bad?
And I know right, I have no idea about the voltage
stop what you're doing and run carbon. its got to be something in the water if all your parameters are right.

o wow just read the above get that voltage issue fixed :x

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always run a bag of rox 8. If it was the water wouldn't all the corals be going bad?
And I know right, I have no idea about the voltage
It is possible that with all the tinkering you have done lately that you have created a path to ground from one of your tanks. That would cause your indicated induced voltage to go down. You can check for this by cleaning all of the glass on your aquariums and wiping down the cords for a foot or 2 where they come out of the water. This should clear out any potential salt trails that could be dropping your induced voltage.

slosoak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noticed a flame angel in one of the pictures has it been in the tank long? They sometimes like to pick and if a coral is starting to have a issue they may make it worse.

OP
OP
Wiz

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
after putting fabric on the ceiling to avoid any more contamination, switching out the pump and heater which were giving off unusual amounts of electric, and lowering the intensity of my LEDs some of the injured corals appear to be regenerating. It's still a bit early to tell but I think the problem may be better. I will try to keep you guys updated.

On a side note I still have a crazy fluctuation in electricity throughout the day. Not quite sure what that is.

20170307_151445.jpg

20170307_151429.jpg

20170307_151500.jpg

20170307_151520.jpg

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a side note I still have a crazy fluctuation in electricity throughout the day. Not quite sure what that is.
Get a ground probe so you don't have to worry about it!

I know people say that they draw current and that can be harmful to fish. The whole bird on a wire comparison? It's just not true. Birds don't live in air that is more conductive than they are. Voltage impacts marine fish, current impacts people and fresh water fish.

Ok, I'll step off my soap box.

OP
OP
Wiz

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. I nailed the fabric to the ceiling and cut holes for where the lights hang through. It is very difficult to look on top but I will try to do it Sunday.

Last edited:

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. I nailed the fabric to the ceiling and cut holes for where the lights hang through. It is very difficult to look on top but I will try to do it Sunday I mailed the fabric to the ceiling and cut holes for where the lights hang through. It is very difficult to look on top but I will try to do it Sunday I nailed the fabric to the ceiling and cut holes for where the lights hanging through. It is very difficult to look on top but I will try to do it Sunday I nailed the fabric to the ceiling and cut holes for where the lights hang through period it is very difficult to look on top but I will try to do it Sunday I nailed the fabric to the ceiling and cut holes for where the light shines through. It is very difficult to look on top but I will try to do it Sunday
Lol,
Wiz, Maybe you could nail the fabric to the ceiling and check it Sunday. :)

OP
OP
Wiz

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apparently there is something wrong with my talk-to-text as well. Lmbo

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back