ProfiLux and monitoring Alkalinity and other things ...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Dumaurier7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like everyone and their grandma is releasing a dKH monitor ! GHL you need to take your time and hurry up and release yours please.

Iballhog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like everyone and their grandma is releasing a dKH monitor ! GHL you need to take your time and hurry up and release yours please.

The main difference will be the GHL will be reliable and solid, like everything else I've bought from them. However they still need to hire me to clean up the app :)

eg8r210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My gosh, I hope they don't get crazy and charge $1k for it like the other guys are polling. :)

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I read the article and tried to find where the project it describes resulted in a commercially available working probe. In this other article, the same authors report that the design was not quite there and involved injecting acid into the probe in order to calculate alk .

http://conservancy.umn.edu/bitstream/handle/11299/94630/Peter Engelmeyer-UROP Poster.pdf?sequence=1

Is there an industrial alk probe in use out there?

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
All titration systems correct? There isn't yet a probe out there is there? If GHL comes out with one it will be pretty amazing.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am waiting for some emails from companies. It fun researching industrial items. I remember finding the listing for 20k metal halide bulbs many years ago. It was in a big industrial lighting catalog at work that I would read thru on slow days at work. Many of today's Aqurium items came from people reading trade info mag's

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agree. With this though, my guess is that if there was a true probe out there in the industrial world, Milwaukee or Hanna would have had one by now. Imagine the money they could have made selling an alk probe. But please report back the results of your research!

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found some interesting things. :) Not their market Most testing companies the money in this hobby is not worth their time.

Dumaurier7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man !! the $1000 thread has reached 187 replies already with lots of amusing and entertaining contributions/opinions ! the mods are very busy over there !:):):):)

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People don't understand that this type of testing is expensive. Example a cheap jebao doser is not going to work you need a stepper motor pump like in the Ghl doser for the small actuate amounts of dosing required.

Hoping for a cheaper option is not going to go anywhere.

eg8r210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People don't understand that this type of testing is expensive. Example a cheap jebao doser is not going to work you need a stepper motor pump like in the Ghl doser for the small actuate amounts of dosing required.

Hoping for a cheaper option is not going to go anywhere.
You keep saying this but I don't think you understand that most people don't care. The question was asked simply if someone would be willing to spend that much money. Most have resoundingly said NO. A salifert test takes 20 seconds. Hanna takes a couple minutes. An automated test takes 4-5 minutes. It is very expensive and then they go and tell everyone for $200 more they will reduce risk by .2 dkh. Seriously? That is ridiculous.

I rather spend my money with GHL. That way I am getting a controller that does more than just check my alk and can replace my 10 year old ACIII. :)

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I check my Alk everyday three times a day. Tracking tank parameters. So for me it is very much a yes. But I already have a very large GHL system already.

Dumaurier7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You keep saying this but I don't think you understand that most people don't care. The question was asked simply if someone would be willing to spend that much money. Most have resoundingly said NO. A salifert test takes 20 seconds. Hanna takes a couple minutes. An automated test takes 4-5 minutes. It is very expensive and then they go and tell everyone for $200 more they will reduce risk by .2 dkh. Seriously? That is ridiculous.

I rather spend my money with GHL. That way I am getting a controller that does more than just check my alk and can replace my 10 year old ACIII. :)

As we say here ! You did not just speak there you PREACHED! HALLELUJAH!![emoji23][emoji23]

eg8r210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I check my Alk everyday three times a day. Tracking tank parameters. So for me it is very much a yes. But I already have a very large GHL system already.
And what is the necessity of testing 3 times per day. Is every branch on ever stick in your tank growing a half inch a day? So much that you are constantly making adjustments to your alkalinity dosages?

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That answer would be yes and I like to track Alk as it giving me a marker for the health of the corals in my tank. If you are not seeing a trend in the alk reading upward. In that it takes more to maintain a level of say 8.2 then I am seeing an issue of coral health going on in the tank.
It's something I have learned to watch having had SPS since 1990.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 48.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 45 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 19 22.1%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.5%
Back