Purple tang with ich (plz help)

Theo15

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why we quarantine everything...coral, inverts, fish....you can keep ich out of a system if you do so..
Very true but ick is brought on by stress to the fish, copper treating a fish just makes it worse and especially with tangs they stress so easily, the ick has already invaded the aquarium it's going to be near impossible to get rid of it without starting over, I personally have ick in my mixed reef but my fish aren't stressed so it doesn't bother them at all

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very true but ick is brought on by stress to the fish, copper treating a fish just makes it worse and especially with tangs they stress so easily, the ick has already invaded the aquarium it's going to be near impossible to get rid of it without starting over, I personally have ick in my mixed reef but my fish aren't stressed so it doesn't bother them at all
Ich is not brought on by anything. It's a parasite which latches on and feeds off the fish....
Yes it's true that if the immune system is up to parkston they can fend themselves but if they get stressed the immune system weakens allowing ich to attach to the fish to feed off of it...

Theo15

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich is not brought on by anything. It's a parasite which latches on and feeds off the fish....
Ick only attacks weak or stressed fish, a fish like a tang has no scales and once it's slime coat starts to thin ,that's when the ick attacks.

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ick only attacks weak or stressed fish, a fish like a tang has no scales and once it's slime coat starts to thin ,that's when the ick attacks.
Ich has a loose cycle....it doesn't just stay in an aquarium until the time is right it will die or without a fish host...amd no It doesn't attack just the weak...if it's present it will attack Amy fish...if a fish is weak it will just get to it faster and easier..

Theo15

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the info on ich....might want to take a look. :)
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=16+2160&aid=2420
Stress is the enemy of fish health. Cryptocaryon will target stressed fish with lowered immune systems. Anything we can do to reduce the stress that fish undergo will decrease both the disease incidence, mortality, and improve treatment results. Remember that almost all marine fish are wild harvested and are extremely stressed by the time they reach your home. These fish need to be handled very carefully to avoid disease outbreaks. They need to have perfect water quality, correct nutrition, a stable temperature, and places to hide and feel secure. If any of these needs are not met, then the already stressed fish will likely develop marine ich or another disease.

This is straight from the article you just sent me ,it also stated that ick is in the ocean but because the fish are in the ocean it's at a much lower concentration for the parasite to attach to the fish ,in the home aquarium the concentration is way higher

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stress is the enemy of fish health. Cryptocaryon will target stressed fish with lowered immune systems. Anything we can do to reduce the stress that fish undergo will decrease both the disease incidence, mortality, and improve treatment results. Remember that almost all marine fish are wild harvested and are extremely stressed by the time they reach your home. These fish need to be handled very carefully to avoid disease outbreaks. They need to have perfect water quality, correct nutrition, a stable temperature, and places to hide and feel secure. If any of these needs are not met, then the already stressed fish will likely develop marine ich or another disease.

This is straight from the article you just sent me ,it also stated that ick is in the ocean but because the fish are in the ocean it's at a much lower concentration for the parasite to attach to the fish ,in the home aquarium the concentration is way higher
Understanding the life cycle of Cryptocaryon is very important in effectively treating or preventing the infection. Cryptocaryon is an obligate parasite, which means that it cannot survive without a period of growth on a fish. Once the original parasite attaches to a fish, it burrows into the skin where it feeds and grows for 5 to 7 days. During this time, it is very irritating to the fish and the characteristic white spot develops. The protozoan then breaks out of the cyst and is called a tomont. The tomont swims freely for 12 to 18 hours until it produces sticky opaque material and creates a cyst, which then attaches to a rock, coral, glass, etc. A tomont then starts dividing until it produces up to 200 daughter cells called tomites. This process is temperature dependent and can take from 3 to 28 days. When the tomites have finished dividing and are mature, they are then released into the water. They then develop cilia and begin to swim through the water looking for a host. These free-swimming organisms are called theronts. They will only live 12 to 18 hours if they do not find a new host fish to attach to and start the cycle over again. The completion of the entire life cycle can be between 9 and 40 days and is temperature dependent. The warmer the water the faster the cycle occurs, and most likely is complete in a couple of weeks in most home aquariums. However, there are some reports that indicate that despite being at a warmer temperature, there may be other variables that make the multiplication process take longer than two weeks, which is why some experts recommend a slightly longer treatment period.
From the article itself

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Theo15

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bought a tang yesterday I'm at work wife just called me and said ( the tang has white spots )
So I know it has it what can I do it's in a reef tank
For future reference you might want to invest in a cleaner shrimp or a cleaner wrasse , it's like the fish have a natural instinct to go to them if they have problems or need to be cleaned , these guys can sometimes help prevent an outbreak

Theo15

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am by no means against quarantine but for someone like me who has a full blown reef ,it's almost impossible to accomplish, I'm just talking from personal experience and I haven't had any problems or lost any fish since I fed my tank the seachem metroplex and focus
According to you ich is achieved by stress. Every time you add a fish you create stress...that's a very risky choice. But it's completely up to you. I'd rather have an ich free enviroment giving my fish the most out of life and eradicate the possibility of even getting ich in the system then have their immune system constantly fighting off ich...

Theo15

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to you ich is achieved by stress. Every time you add a fish you create stress...that's a very risky choice. But it's completely up to you. I'd rather have an ich free enviroment giving my fish the most out of life and eradicate the possibility of even getting ich in the system then have their immune system constantly fighting off ich...
The metroplex and focus is not something you feed the fish constantly, I haven't had any problems since, I used the medication for about a week and i havenr touched it in months another rule of thumb is to know what fish to add to the tank first that's another big issue alot of people don't realize

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The metroplex and focus is not something you feed the fish constantly, I haven't had any problems since, I used the medication for about a week and i havenr touched it in months another rule of thumb is to know what fish to add to the tank first that's another big issue alot of people don't realize
Just because their immune system is par doesn't mean they can fight off ich. Also, their slime coat does not cover the gills...ich can very well be attaching to the gills..if enough ich attack the gills it could suffocate the fish...also, it doesn't matter what fish you put in, a new addition causes stress no matter what. It's the heirachy system. U take a system amd add a new addition they have to establish who is in charge...which always causes some stress even if minimal.

Last edited:

Theo15

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just because their immune system is par doesn't mean they can't fight off ich. Also, their slime coat does not cover the gills...ich can very well be attaching to the gills..if enough ich attack the gills it could suffocate the fish...also, it doesn't matter what fish you put in, a new addition causes stress no matter what. It's the heirachy system. U take a system amd add a new addition they have to establish who is in charge...which always causes some stress even if minimal.
I would hope you wouldn't wait that long for the fish to be suffocating from an ick infestation ,the first sign of ick and you should hop on it immediately, all the medication does is help them fight it off, have you herd of it before or know anyone that has used it ?

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would hope you wouldn't wait that long for the fish to be suffocating from an ick infestation ,the first sign of ick and you should hop on it immediately, all the medication does is help them fight it off, have you herd of it before or know anyone that has used it ?
Incorrect information. It kills the parasite In the swimming form...hence we medicate for 30 days. To kill all of the ich....and yes I have done it myself..

Theo15

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the fish are consuming the medication so it is helping them fight it off , and the directions tell you to turn your skimmer off so the medication stays in the water and kills the parasite in its free swimming form , has it worked for you ?

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the fish are consuming the medication so it is helping them fight it off , and the directions tell you to turn your skimmer off so the medication stays in the water and kills the parasite in its free swimming form , has it worked for you ?
Absolutely. A lot of people have used copper and successfully eradicated ich...A LOT.
But the meds don't help them fight off the ich, the meds kill the swimming stage of ich....and u treat for 30 days in order to get all the parasites. The swimming stage is where the parasite is killed....so that means the parasite isn't even on the fish.

Back