Purple tang with ich (plz help)

Theo15

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely. A lot of people have used copper and successfully eradicated ich...A LOT.
Of course, it's a proven method, but in my case like many other people out there setting up a quarantine wasn't an option and the medication fixed everything

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course, it's a proven method, but in my case like many other people out there setting up a quarantine wasn't an option and the medication fixed everything
The med didn't fix anything, it is just keeping it at bay...or in other words controlling the ich...
Why is setting up a quarentine not an option? A 10 gallon tank on the floor will work....doesn't need a light, and you can get a qt up and running for under 50$

Last edited:

Theo15

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The med didn't fix anything, it is just keeping it at bay...or in other words controlling the ich...
My fish are happy and fat I haven't had any problems the ick has not attacked them since I treated and it's been months ,it worked for me ,as long as my fish are fine i dont see a need to do anything else

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fish are happy and fat I haven't had any problems the ick has not attacked them since I treated and it's been months ,it worked for me ,as long as my fish are fine i dont see a need to do anything else
If they are great! If in gills you will not know ich is present since they are covered by the gills.

Theo15

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are great! If in gills you will not know ich is present since they are covered by the gills.
Yea but it isn't hard to tell if a fish is sick , you will notice the behavior change almost immediately ,and if it was in their gills my fish would go to my 2 wrasse that I have for a cleaning ,but they haven't ,my purple tang got ick once ,I gave him the medication and that was it ,never seen it again and he eats like a pig

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea but it isn't hard to tell if a fish is sick , you will notice the behavior change almost immediately ,and if it was in their gills my fish would go to my 2 wrasse that I have for a cleaning ,but they haven't ,my purple tang got ick once ,I gave him the medication and that was it ,never seen it again and he eats like a pig
Very true.
But cleaner wrasse can't always get to the gills of fish....

Last edited:

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For future reference you might want to invest in a cleaner shrimp or a cleaner wrasse , it's like the fish have a natural instinct to go to them if they have problems or need to be cleaned , these guys can sometimes help prevent an outbreak
There has been no proof yet that either actually eats ich parasites.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also this entire discussion is irrelevant about ich if the op has velvet. "Velvet management" methods don't really work. In today's environment velvet is every bit as common as ich and if you try ich management as suggested by some in this thread, you will get velvet and you will lose this battle. You'll also not be able to keep most acanthurus tangs (like powder blue, powder brown, goldrim, achilles, etc) and many angels and butterflies as well. You limit the fish you can keep. If you push your luck with these fish there's a chance you start an infestation that takes over quickly with an easier, weaker host.

I still think based on what little the op has provided that this is a case of velvet. The treatment would be the same, but the need to act quickly is imperative.

Theo15

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also this entire discussion is irrelevant about ich if the op has velvet. "Velvet management" methods don't really work. In today's environment velvet is every bit as common as ich and if you try ich management as suggested by some in this thread, you will get velvet and you will lose this battle. You'll also not be able to keep most acanthurus tangs (like powder blue, powder brown, goldrim, achilles, etc) and many angels and butterflies as well. You limit the fish you can keep. If you push your luck with these fish there's a chance you start an infestation that takes over quickly with an easier, weaker host.

I still think based on what little the op has provided that this is a case of velvet. The treatment would be the same, but the need to act quickly is imperative.
This it true also

OP
OP
M

Miguel a Villalobos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have read that some ppl quarantine there fish for 1-3 months and show no ich but when introduced to the other tank they get it .

Theo15

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have read that some ppl quarantine there fish for 1-3 months and show no ich but when introduced to the other tank they get it .
That's because there is no cure ,it's natural so the best thing to do would be to try and contain it

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen this happen countless times
You've seen wrasse or shrimp fish pick at a diseased fish. Cleaner shrimp biopsies have not found ich or any common hobby parasites inside them. It's more likely that they're eating the damaged skin/mucous around the embedddd parasite.

OP
OP
M

Miguel a Villalobos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I'm going to continue to dose the tank with the kordan ich attack and continue to soak the food in the garlic and metro/focus

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This would mean that ich was never eradicated from the original tank (kept fishless for 76 days is how you are 95% or greater sure that this won't happen).

OR during treatment, the medication levels were kept high enough to keep the fish from showing symptoms but not high enough to eradicate it entirely. So, a seemingly parasite-free fish is introduced in to a copper-free or medication-free display tank and ich returns. It's not that ich was summoned from the outlands, it's that the parasite was kept at bay, not eradicated.

Both situations are common, but easily preventable. Test copper daily to ensure it's always above the therapeutic dose. If it goes below, restart your 30 day clock.

Theo15

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I'm going to continue to dose the tank with the kordan ich attack and continue to soak the food in the garlic and metro/focus
That's the best thing to do ,look into the seachem metroplex and focus, you won't be disappointed!

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, I think you're fighting a losing battle if this is your plan of attack. If velvet, you'll absolutely lose. If ich, it won't help and you'll have it return again.

Your choice though. I practiced "ich management" for nearly ten years, so I know how to do it. What I considered "success" was nothing like proper quarantine and treatment has yielded me.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back