QT Tank Ammonia?!

kylevan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi so I noticed a week ago one of my clowns had ICH I figured I caught it enough to use a reef safe medication started using ICH attack by kordons it seemed to be working no other fish had ICH I stopped using it Saturday and yesterday I noticed my yellow tang had started developing ICH I quickly set up my QT Tank yesterday night and this morning it's currently 6:02am I set it up at about 10:00pm yesterday and I have the seachem Ammonia alert and I checked on it this morning and it says alert at .05ppm Ammonia haven't used a qt tank yet so I'm wondering what I need to do to safely add my fish I don't have time to cycle the tank because I don't want the out break to get out of control and kill fish
e56df55e2a22a0ae09890e89f9e14fc0.jpg

Tokash23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have anything else in the tank, what kind of filtration are you using for it? You could put some biospira in or dr tims from what i have heard thats would help take care of the ammonia but im new to the qt thing too.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi so I noticed a week ago one of my clowns had ICH I figured I caught it enough to use a reef safe medication started using ICH attack by kordons it seemed to be working no other fish had ICH I stopped using it Saturday and yesterday I noticed my yellow tang had started developing ICH I quickly set up my QT Tank yesterday night and this morning it's currently 6:02am I set it up at about 10:00pm yesterday and I have the seachem Ammonia alert and I checked on it this morning and it says alert at .05ppm Ammonia haven't used a qt tank yet so I'm wondering what I need to do to safely add my fish I don't have time to cycle the tank because I don't want the out break to get out of control and kill fish
e56df55e2a22a0ae09890e89f9e14fc0.jpg
Yes this tank needs a good sized water change. If you're diligent about water changes, it doesn't need to be cycled. Angels will be more sensitive to ammonia than other fish.

OP
OP
kylevan

kylevan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using the tidal 50 filter with the sicce pump. A heater and a powerhead that's all. If I buy some nitrifying bacteria how quickly will it take care of ammonia I have to get the fish out asap

Tokash23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think it should go pretty quick (less than 24 hours) but i could be wrong. If you add prime to the water that should neutralize the ammonia and i think you can add your fish right away. Dont quote me on that though maybe someone else with some better knowledge on the subject will pitch in.

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can change 100% of your QT water with your display tank water.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will have to do regular, probably daily, water changes until the tank cycles. Adding a live bacteria product to the sponge of the filter. Put it in a bucket and pour the whole bottle over the sponge. Allow that to sit for an hour or so, so the bacteria can find a place on the sponge to settle. Add the sponge and all the liquid to the filter and turn it on. that will help, but the water changes will still be needed for the first week or two.

OP
OP
kylevan

kylevan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To miyags, if I add my display tank water won't that just carry over the ICH into the qt tank unless I copper treat?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To miyags, if I add my display tank water won't that just carry over the ICH into the qt tank unless I copper treat?

Yes it would. If there is ich in your display, it's not a good idea to use display water for water changes.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 34.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 20.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back