Quarantine 40-50 fish from existing 500 gallon reef

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! The nitrates were deep red, at least 160 on the API test

Was this before or after you completely removed all the copper? The latter can interfere with the reading of a liquid nitrate test kit.

OP
OP
Jeffdstafford

Jeffdstafford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had approximately .1ppm of copper left in the system with that reading.. Do you think that was enough to affect readings? Let me go take a new reading now and I'll report back.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had approximately .1ppm of copper left in the system with that reading.. Do you think that was enough to affect readings? Let me go take a new reading now and I'll report back.

Let's see what the latest reading says, now that your copper level is undetectable.

OP
OP
Jeffdstafford

Jeffdstafford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, not sure what to make of this. My Nyos kit shows 20-25, and the API is... 80ish? 0311171815.jpg 0311171813.jpg

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't worry about it. I'm guessing you still have residual copper, or chemical signatures from the copper, that are impacting your reading.

Are you still running any copper absorbent?

OP
OP
Jeffdstafford

Jeffdstafford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I've got the last poly filter still in there, and it's stayed white. However I think I trust the nyos kit more than API. I'm at the bottom of the API bottles, I think I have a new API kit somewhere, I'll find it and test with a fresh kit. My current api expires in 2018, so should be good.

Smo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it is worth...I got reasonable and consistent results from my Red Sea test kits with Copper Safe at therapeutic levels.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
80ish wouldn't be high enough to negatively impact a fish anyway. Nitrates would have to reach into the hundreds before that happens.

OP
OP
Jeffdstafford

Jeffdstafford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy everyone!

Great new this weekend..the seller of the house we were looking at got their stuff worked out, so we're back on track for our purchase, and more importantly, my future fish room!

I also performed the 2nd round of PraziPro Friday night, exactly 7 days after the first dose. Few questions:

Should I perform a water change to rid the system of any dead stuff later this week?

Is there any reason for a 3rd dose, or is that unnecessary?

When can I turn the skimmer back on?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I perform a water change to rid the system of any dead stuff later this week?

A 20-25% WC would be a good idea to remove any leftover toxins from the dying flukes or waste from the dead flukes themselves. :eek:

Unnecessary, unless symptoms persist.

I would wait until after the WC, but know the skimmer might still go berserk for a couple of weeks after dosing Prazipro.

OP
OP
Jeffdstafford

Jeffdstafford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Humble! I'll definitely keep an eye on the skimmer when it comes back on, between the prazi and built up waste of not skimming for a couple weeks, I'm sure it will be crazy for a while

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy everyone!

Great new this weekend..the seller of the house we were looking at got their stuff worked out, so we're back on track for our purchase, and more importantly, my future fish room!

I also performed the 2nd round of PraziPro Friday night, exactly 7 days after the first dose. Few questions:

Fantastic! Glad this is working out for you!

OP
OP
Jeffdstafford

Jeffdstafford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately my last surviving wrasse died last night, guess the 2nd round of PraziPro did not go well with it.

So here's my 2 questions regarding quarantining wrasses:
-Is TTM the only method gentle enough to keep them alive through the process?

-And will TTM rid fish of the parasites you're targeting with PraziPro? Seems like I've only read about it being an alternative to copper; not sure about flukes, turbellaria, and whatever else Prazi is commonly used to treat for.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
-Is TTM the only method gentle enough to keep them alive through the process?

It's the gentlest method for treating ich. IME; wrasses also tolerate chelated copper better than ionic copper & CP.

-And will TTM rid fish of the parasites you're targeting with PraziPro? Seems like I've only read about it being an alternative to copper; not sure about flukes, turbellaria, and whatever else Prazi is commonly used to treat for.

Unfortunately, you'll still need to treat with Prazipro in conjunction with TTM. However, the good news is since a fish only needs 24 hrs worth of prazi exposure time in order to deworm, you can dose Prazipro at the tail end of transfers 2 & 4 (or 1 & 3). I.E. dose 24 hours before you are set to make the next transfer. This limits the amount of time your wrasse has to be in prazi water. :)

The downside to TTM is it treats ich only. And back when ich was our chief concern, TTM worked beautifully. However, due to the prevalence of velvet, people are going back to using copper or CP out of necessity. :(

OP
OP
Jeffdstafford

Jeffdstafford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Humble, good to know on the shortened time needed with Prazi, now that you mention that I remember reading that in your Prazi writeup on R2R, but I saw no signs of stress with the wrasse so I figured it was ok. I accounted my earlier wrasse losses to my accidental coppersafe overdose, so I'll try coppersafe again with the 24hr Prazi treatments and see how that goes.

Back