OP
OP
Jeffdstafford

Jeffdstafford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm already getting some ammonia buildup, which is to be expected putting so many fish in 100 gallons, so I picked up a second 100 gallon Rubbermaid container and plumbed in a couple bulkhead drains,and using a cheap panworld pump for a return pump moving water from the original over to the new container, and gravity draining back in. Hopefully this should help me better manage ammonia and nitrates over the next few months.

Only downside is having to treat more water with copper safe, but a welcome trade-off vs an ongoing unmanageable ammonia battle.

I'm going to make the fish trap tomorrow, and once I get the pencil wrasse out of the tank, I'll start the copper safe treatment and the fallow period...This should really convince every person in the hobby to quarantine so you don't have to deal with this!!
1219162225a.jpg

OP
OP
Jeffdstafford

Jeffdstafford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! It has been quite an educational journey to say the least, and the medicating hasn't even started yet!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you plan on moving some of the fish over to the other side? Could help with stress and then when you feed you might be able to target feed a little better and not lose food and create more water issues!

OP
OP
Jeffdstafford

Jeffdstafford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent suggestion; I plan on moving all my smaller non-tang fish to the new tank.. I've already lost 2 fish to them jumping out despite my fairly good top coverage,they will find the smallest slit to make their escape, and I'll be able to cover the other side much better since there's no equipment on the sides other than the 1 feed hose going into it. And like you're saying, they won't have the piggish tangs hogging all the chow at dinner time!

I did buy some egg crate panels and window screen material, so I'll zip tie the screen on and get a proper cover in place tonight.

Meanwhile the lone wrasse is the display tank taunts me everytime I walk by the tank..his days of lonely luxury are limited

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent suggestion; I plan on moving all my smaller non-tang fish to the new tank.. I've already lost 2 fish to them jumping out despite my fairly good top coverage,they will find the smallest slit to make their escape, and I'll be able to cover the other side much better since there's no equipment on the sides other than the 1 feed hose going into it. And like you're saying, they won't have the piggish tangs hogging all the chow at dinner time!

I did buy some egg crate panels and window screen material, so I'll zip tie the screen on and get a proper cover in place tonight.

Meanwhile the lone wrasse is the display tank taunts me everytime I walk by the tank..his days of lonely luxury are limited
You do have plenty of filter floss, sponge, or other material to give the nitrifying bacteria plenty of surface area to grow on, right?

OP
OP
Jeffdstafford

Jeffdstafford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got quite a few pieces in there, but I don't currently have any that are actively getting water forced through them; does that make a difference vs just having them in the water?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got quite a few pieces in there, but I don't currently have any that are actively getting water forced through them; does that make a difference vs just having them in the water?

In order for any bio-filter to be effective, it has to have water flowing thru it.

OP
OP
Jeffdstafford

Jeffdstafford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Humble, do you think sponge in a media reactor would work or would that create an anoxic environment?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Humble, do you think sponge in a media reactor would work or would that create an anoxic environment?

Nitrifying bacteria are aerobic, so I would be concerned about them getting enough free oxygen in there. A HOB would work better.

Won't the copper kill the nitrifying bacteria anyway?

It will knock their levels back, but bacteria are extremely resilient, will adapt to the presence of copper and then bounce back quickly. If your bio-filter is healthy & loaded with nitrifying bacteria you shouldn't see any ammonia.

OP
OP
Jeffdstafford

Jeffdstafford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you think about this Humble? Hole in the bottom of the bucket, draining all the water to the 2nd container through the sponges?

1220162123.jpg 1220162124.jpg

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you think about this Humble? Hole in the bottom of the bucket, draining all the water to the 2nd container through the sponges?

1220162123.jpg 1220162124.jpg
Frankentank! I love it! This is the most impressive and creative QT system I have ever seen!

OP
OP
Jeffdstafford

Jeffdstafford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, a perfect name for this monstrosity! It has really spiralled out of control, but I'm too far in now to turn back...So help me, these fish better appreciate all I'm doing to keep them alive!

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frankentank! I love it! This is the most impressive and creative QT system I have ever seen!

+1 Just be sure the water is forced to go through the sponges and cannot simply go around them. ;)

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, a perfect name for this monstrosity! It has really spiralled out of control, but I'm too far in now to turn back...So help me, these fish better appreciate all I'm doing to keep them alive!
At least it's easier than using a 10g QT while adding fish. Just think of how painful that is in comparison! :p

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back