Question about Spectracide Stump Remover dosing

brad65ford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6 day follow up. Wow tested today my tank is now .2ppm. dang my tank knows how to consume n03. Questions is where do I go from here... hum

brad65ford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this is correct they system is consumming .38ppm a day of no3. Alk did go down 1ppm as well. Questions is should I aim to keep it higher with daily dosing?

If my calculations are correct for every 10ml of juice solution i made it will raise the no3 .166ppm. which I would have to dose 20ml a day to meet current thought to be demand.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this is correct they system is consumming .38ppm a day of no3. Alk did go down 1ppm as well. Questions is should I aim to keep it higher with daily dosing?

If my calculations are correct for every 10ml of juice solution i made it will raise the no3 .166ppm. which I would have to dose 20ml a day to meet current thought to be demand.

I'd keep adding it to maintain detectable nitrate.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, you are just feeding the organisms in the tank. Nothing wrong with feeding them 20ml a day if you are not driving nitrates too high!

brad65ford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys, i know know one has the correct answer since they really isn't one (maybe) as to what i should be aiming for. Assuming i can play with the numbers to see the coral reactions. Two of my favor sps's started dieing over two week ago and do not know if this is related or not. Undata and another monti just a green plate. Other monti's looks fine, wondering how N03 effects those sps's.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything is possible, but I really doubt it's from nitrate alone. I had green plate and undata in my nitrate dosed system along with undata in a biocube without a skimmer where nitrates ran high and it did fantastic.

brad65ford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe i calculated incorrectly when i posted the calculator photo. I believe it should be Nitrate from Potassium not the other way around.

Here is the calculator, IMO its the best calculator since it allows you to change to what ever unit you want to use. What should be used when using Stump remover?
http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/calculator.htm

Last edited:

brad65ford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back to some questions.

Does nitrate in a reef aquarium work like a gum ball machine... Meaning as along as you have some in the barrel above (the aquarium) will get them as they need them or the ratio really matters? If so how come ?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back to some questions.

Does nitrate in a reef aquarium work like a gum ball machine... Meaning as along as you have some in the barrel above (the aquarium) will get them as they need them or the ratio really matters? If so how come ?

There's a low level where nitrate (or any required nutrient) is limiting to growth, a grey area as nitrate rises where both it and other factors may be limiting, and then a high level where it is no longer limiting. What those levels are will change with the organism.

brad65ford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a low level where nitrate (or any required nutrient) is limiting to growth, a grey area as nitrate rises where both it and other factors may be limiting, and then a high level where it is no longer limiting. What those levels are will change with the organism.

Thank you Randy, this is what i was thinking too. Now here is a question for you hopefully you can shade some light on. I've been testing alk and cal for as long as i've had this system running. After dosing for a few days this sump remover solution via dosser to keep levels at 2.5ppm and 5ppm, the red sea cal test results are now very cloudy. Also alk went up a hair instead of down, as if the corals/system is not growing / consuming it faster. So this is basically a two part question, why would the cal testing be very cloudy all of a sudden also does the system need to balance out these extra n03 and create the needed bacteria to feed on it?

Regarding the statement of glass algae is reduced by adding n03 in a n03 poor system like mine was, this i can honestly confirm is spot on true. Its dramatically reduced by at least 80-90 percent! Rock algae has started to appear though i'm not concerned with 5 tangs in the system they have now something to eat extra.

Ewilson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just started dosing this yesterday went from 0 no3 to 2.5ppm (salifert) 100ml dose. My question is does the nitrate eventually stable where you dose less or even stop at all or should it be a maintenance dose to continue

brad65ford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
from what it seems in a nitrate limited system like mine was by continually carbon dosing it will continue to deplete. Assuming it will level off once it matches up with uptake and or p04 levels.

Ewilson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
from what it seems in a nitrate limited system like mine was by continually carbon dosing it will continue to deplete. Assuming it will level off once it matches up with uptake and or p04 levels.

I don't carbon dose but I do run gfo for PO4

julio zuniga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi people. Need to increase the nitrates in my tank, look some product to help, the Espectracide you talk is this?
2017-02-05 19.22.46.png

specialk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All .. so about to start this myself and have a few questions -

Few Key Points:

* 155 gallon total system
* ALK 8.0 Cal - 460
* Protein Skimmer, (WAS running gfo (not anymore) and still have some older, prob needs to be replaced ROX carbon in my sump)
* Been testing 0 ppm on Nitrates for quite some time (was going along with the common thinking many of you have had, and that an ULNS was the way to go -- until sps start to suffer)
* SPS look EXACTLY like many others have posted when showing lack of nitrates and what they do to sps. Im in the same boat!
* Been running Acropower and have noticed some coloring up on SOME SPS, BUT this looks like textbook lack of nitrates effecting my sps as they lack the tru rick color and are struggling

MY QUESTIONS:

1. Should I turn my skimmer off?

2. I used the formula on the reccomended calculator in the above thread to mix my solution (I basically mixed 2 TBLSPNS. with 250 ml RODI water) ...

I dosed 10 ml and tested 2 hours later. STILL 0 ppm. So obviously it is possible my system is using that up and is "THIRSTY" ... should I keep dosing until I can get a reading? (i am using API test kit)

THANKS A TON!! Look forward to replies!

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 132 59.7%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 29.0%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 78 35.3%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.5%
Back