Questions about QT

jp_75

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
guys when you do water change:do i put new made saltwater or from display? mixed opinions....
also top offs with rodi ok,right? thx

Bluefish9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
guys when you do water change:do i put new made saltwater or from display? mixed opinions....
also top offs with rodi ok,right? thx

You can and should use fresh SW. Using water from your existing display does nothing. Its not the water itself that is cycled or stable.
And yes, topping with RO/DI is perfect.

Bluefish9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about bacteria thing?

The bacteria comes from your filtration (LR, sand, media etc) not the water column. Since most of those things are missing from a QT, most people toss a simple foam filter in their sump for a few weeks to get it seeded and then use that in their QT. you manage other nutrients through water changes.

Personally I have about 4 or 5 marinepure spheres from the basket full in my sump and placed them in a mesh bag and tossed em in my qt. I also run some simple filter pad in my HOB filter to remove particulates.

I jump started my QT with bio spira and its been perfect and VERY manageable with a couple of small water changes a week

OP
OP
jp_75

jp_75

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok,so,what i need to do now? i have 2 fish in quarantine for like 2 weeks. They in 1st week with cupramine.
I started with removing 10 gallons from DT and waiting 2 weeks. After a week i put fish in.So far I used water from DT as water change.Is it ok?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok,so,what i need to do now? i have 2 fish in quarantine for like 2 weeks. They in 1st week with cupramine.
I started with removing 10 gallons from DT and waiting 2 weeks. After a week i put fish in.So far I used water from DT as water change.Is it ok?

Are you sure your DT is disease free? If so, then that is fine.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jp_75 All of your posts have been moved into this thread, to avoid confusion with the OP from the other thread.

OP
OP
jp_75

jp_75

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question: How long should I keep fish in quarantine? I had 2 fish one week for observation,2 weeks cupramine and 2 weeks another observation. Looks like all good! Should I put it in DT?
If yes, I need to clean equipment,right? Vinegar? How ling do I wait to put another fish in?
Thx

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question: How long should I keep fish in quarantine? I had 2 fish one week for observation,2 weeks cupramine and 2 weeks another observation. Looks like all good! Should I put it in DT?
If yes, I need to clean equipment,right? Vinegar? How ling do I wait to put another fish in?
Thx

I would keep the fish at therapeutic levels of copper for a full 30 days before removing it. In my opinion the QT protocol wasn't enough to be sure parasites have been eradicated. Of course if you have been able to sit and watch your fish closely for 15 minutes every day to be sure there have been no behavioral symptoms of the key diseases or physical symptoms, then it's up to you to risk it assuming you noticed nothing unusual of course.

If you are going to put your fish into the display, it's a good idea to disinfect the QT before using it again. Use vinegar or bleach and rinse very very well after. Let everything dry completely over a couple days before setting it back up again. This will give you an absolutely clean slate for the next batch of fish.

OP
OP
jp_75

jp_75

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would you do with aggressive Starry Blenny in quarantine? He was fine until yesterday when i added new fish to tank.... Would you wait or remove him? He caused one fish jumped out! It was Dartfish.

OP
OP
jp_75

jp_75

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is following Dartfish around the tank! Thinking about moving him to DT.... Do you guys think he will stop?
I have to admit it was a dumb move to introduce another with week later to quarantine....

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would you do with aggressive Starry Blenny in quarantine? He was fine until yesterday when i added new fish to tank.... Would you wait or remove him? He caused one fish jumped out! It was Dartfish.
He is following Dartfish around the tank! Thinking about moving him to DT.... Do you guys think he will stop?
I have to admit it was a dumb move to introduce another with week later to quarantine....

I would put him in an acclimation box or Critter Keeper in the QT. Blennies don't need a whole lot of swimming room.

OP
OP
jp_75

jp_75

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stopped by Petco and got Breeding Net to put him in. Now have to figure out what to do with the fish... Hard fish to catch even in 10 gallon! Not sure if it's worth to deal with his behavior in DT.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stopped by Petco and got Breeding Net to put him in. Now have to figure out what to do with the fish... Hard fish to catch even in 10 gallon! Not sure if it's worth to deal with his behavior in DT.

How big is your DT? Starry Blennies can be a little ornery when cramped into a tight space, but usually chill out once housed in at least a 50-60 gal DT.

OP
OP
jp_75

jp_75

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DT is 60 gallon. I would say plenty of rock and places to hide.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DT is 60 gallon. I would say plenty of rock and places to hide.

It will probably chill once it goes into the DT. My last one would attack my hand but left all my other fish alone. :)

Roy 9121

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bacteria comes from your filtration (LR, sand, media etc) not the water column. Since most of those things are missing from a QT, most people toss a simple foam filter in their sump for a few weeks to get it seeded and then use that in their QT. you manage other nutrients through water changes.

Personally I have about 4 or 5 marinepure spheres from the basket full in my sump and placed them in a mesh bag and tossed em in my qt. I also run some simple filter pad in my HOB filter to remove particulates.

I jump started my QT with bio spira and its been perfect and VERY manageable with a couple of small water changes a week
So if you use a foam filter in your qt, which should have copper in it. How do you then put that same filter in your sump without contaminating your DT and sump with copper?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if you use a foam filter in your qt, which should have copper in it. How do you then put that same filter in your sump without contaminating your DT and sump with copper?

If you rinsed it out thoroughly, that should get all the copper out. But being replacement foam filters are pretty cheap, I'm not sure its worth the effort.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back