OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just found some other pics online that I had posted years ago. Not sure of the exact dates:

3491Randy_s_tank_Feb_5_2006-med.JPG

3491Randys_Tank_March_2__6_.jpg

3491Randys_Tank_March_2__7_.jpg

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In these each of these three pictures you can see the evidence of something that, according to others with more experience with multiple clowns, is somewhat unusual.

For years I kept spawning pairs of ocellaris clowns (settling on a soft corals for lack of anemone host) and pink skunk clowns (in the H. crispa) at the same time. In fact, they were separated by only inches, and neither pair moved away, and they never fought that I could see. Both pairs were more interested in challenging their reflections in the glass than each other, although that didn't happen all that often either.

I guess I just run a happy tank. :D

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is awesome of you to share your personal system with all of us. Nice to see that in this day and time of high-tech equipment, a simple, more natural approach being used by one of the gurus of the hobby. Thanks for being here at R2R!

Steven C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Randy i see in one of your earlier pictures you had a flame angel with your corals how did that work for you ?

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Randy i see in one of your earlier pictures you had a flame angel with your corals how did that work for you ?

It worked out perfectly well for a number of years until a tank wipe out while I was travelling. I lost all the fish in the main tank then.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank Randy!

Are your clownfish hosting that soft coral? I think it's a finger leather. What caused the tank crash? Fwiw the Apex controller is awesome, when your away from home you can turn off pumps with your iPhone, or turn them on. You can also view your tank via webcam, and see the current ph, dissolved oxygen, etcetera. Everything could be controlled with your phone when away. I'm going to get one as the wife and I go to Mexico for a month in the spring usually. Peace of mind is worth tons.

I'd love to see new pics of the entire setup! Even a pic a month is cool! Interested in seeing the sump. Don't worry if it's ugly, mines laughable sometimes. Not that you'd worry about that.

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lovely tank Randy,
Its nice to see a swaying tank compared to today's interest in a fixed glowing sticks tank... any plans to add a few SPS so its a mixed reef?
Any specific reason to go with the marginalis VS rostratus for Aptasia control or was it just a choice? looks like you've been lucky with it not touching the clam.
I've just introduced my Copperband to try to control Aptasias and I have 10 clams in the tank so it's scary. Luckily he's cleaning out a Tube worm infestation and I hope he'll switch to Aptaisias not clams afterwards. on the positive side he eats frozen from the water column as well.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank Randy!

Are your clownfish hosting that soft coral? I think it's a finger leather. What caused the tank crash? Fwiw the Apex controller is awesome, when your away from home you can turn off pumps with your iPhone, or turn them on. You can also view your tank via webcam, and see the current ph, dissolved oxygen, etcetera. Everything could be controlled with your phone when away. I'm going to get one as the wife and I go to Mexico for a month in the spring usually. Peace of mind is worth tons.

I'd love to see new pics of the entire setup! Even a pic a month is cool! Interested in seeing the sump. Don't worry if it's ugly, mines laughable sometimes. Not that you'd worry about that.

They did settle on a green tree coral (a soft coral) for many years before I got my gigantea anemones. Now my ocellaris live in my blue gigantea. :)

The tank crash happened when I was on vacation. Not entirely sure what happened, but flow between the basement systems and the main tank stopped. Exactly why that killed all of the DT fish, I do not know, but among the dead was my long horned cowfish that are known to contain toxins, so its death may have accelerated other deaths (but that's speculation).

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lovely tank Randy,
Its nice to see a swaying tank compared to today's interest in a fixed glowing sticks tank... any plans to add a few SPS so its a mixed reef?
Any specific reason to go with the marginalis VS rostratus for Aptasia control or was it just a choice? looks like you've been lucky with it not touching the clam.
I've just introduced my Copperband to try to control Aptasias and I have 10 clams in the tank so it's scary. Luckily he's cleaning out a Tube worm infestation and I hope he'll switch to Aptaisias not clams afterwards. on the positive side he eats frozen from the water column as well.

I don't recall my exact rational when I got it, but I had heard that it was easier to get it feeding than other copperbands, and that was true. Mine eat Rod's food (which it gets about every other day). It did a perfect job on the aiptasia and has never shown any interest in my clam. I have a huge number of tube worms and these seem unaffected by him.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They did settle on a green tree coral (a soft coral) for many years before I got my gigantea anemones. Now my ocellaris live in my blue gigantea. :)

The tank crash happened when I was on vacation. Not entirely sure what happened, but flow between the basement systems and the main tank stopped. Exactly why that killed all of the DT fish, I do not know, but among the dead was my long horned cowfish that are known to contain toxins, so its death may have accelerated other deaths (but that's speculation).

That's unfortunate. Sorry to hear that. What have you done to prevent this from happening again in the future?

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see a Hippo in a 120. surprised the police haven't gotten on you (assuming the tank listed is the one being shown).

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see a Hippo in a 120. surprised the police haven't gotten on you (assuming the tank listed is the one being shown).

While I do not currently have a hippo, I've never actually had anyone suggest to me that my 120 wasn't appropriate for the fish I had.

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I do not currently have a hippo, I've never actually had anyone suggest to me that my 120 wasn't appropriate for the fish I had.

Would love to get one for my 60" 120 gallon but so many people have said it won't work out, I have stopped thinking about it

kuba

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You aren't sketched out to have 88 gallons of fresh water plumbed to a saltwater tank?

Back