Red Sea Syringes

specialk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All ..

Simple dumb question .. are the red sea syringes that are used for the water testing, are these just standard medical grade 1ml syringes that I can buy off amazon? The ones I have been using, the black markings are rubbing off and I am not able to see when I have reached the 1 ml mark needed for water testing.

BTW .. I just got done trying the Hanna Calcium Checker in an effort to see if it was easier .. and it STINKS! readings way off! I am sticking with the Red Sea test kit ..

SalinFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you determine the discrepancies/accuracy between Hanna & Red Sea? Please expand on this. Thanks.

OP
OP
specialk

specialk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you determine the discrepancies/accuracy between Hanna & Red Sea? Please expand on this. Thanks.
Well it's really as simple as this ..

I was using Red Sea with no issues. I simply looked at the Hanna Checker as a more convenient, more simple digital way to measure my calcium. I saw a video (from mr saltwater tank) on youtube and he endorsed it and said it was good. So I went ahead and got it.

My readings with the Red Sea have always been accurate and were showing as 380-400 when I just did testing the last few days (was out of town and my calcium dropped, so now dosing the supplements to get back up to desired range)

My readings for the Hanna Checker were showing anywhere between 516 to 533!! I thought I must be doing something wrong, and went and watched the Hanna videos on youtube on how to correctly do the test. Have studied and look at this for a few days now and still can not get a good reading with it.... where as my Red Sea readings are at least consistent.

I am not sure what the problem is and what I may be doing wrong, but after researching it on this forum, seems I am not alone in these errors and the problems with this checker. Disappointed and really wish I could figure it out -- because I do like the digital aspect to it. But now just going to stick with the Red Sea. ...

just want to make sure the syringes are as simple as getting the 1 ml replacement ones ??

SalinFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went Hanna as well for several of my tests so that's why I was asking. As for your syringes, 1 ml is 1 ml no matter what brand of syringe you use, so I don't see why your Amazon find wouldn't work for you.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No to the syringe thingy one ml isn't made equally u need these kind so they fit in the titration device and the nipple fits on there.
Also I just switched to Hannah because of the incasistancies in Red Sea
image.jpeg

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also the calcium one is the hardest one u have to make sure the vial is clean and u put it back in the same way u took it out and it's better to measure the water in weight then in ml

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the syringes from a physical therapist office I got about 50 for free they need them for a shot that only certain people need and they can only order them in thousands so they usually have a ton left over

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using the BD syringes for the water part. I have not had an issue with titration syringes. If and when I need to replace I will use these. You just do not was the sure lock tips.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello special K. I've used red sea kits for a while now. it is a peeve of mine that the markings quickly rub off the syringes ! I was ******** to myself about that just 2 nights ago ! I saw Red Sea Rep speaker a local meeting he emphasized the necessity to get proper amounts of regents. I brought up this problem and asked if he could talk to who was in charge of making the syringes and do something about it ! He looked at me like a deer in headlights .

OP
OP
specialk

specialk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I can't find them shoot me a pm and I'll get some more from the guy and ship them to ya. U will Just have to pay the shipping
Thx my friend ....I think i found them ...i just typed in global syringes into amazon and they came up. They are $11 ...not bad

OP
OP
specialk

specialk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello special K. I've used red sea kits for a while now. it is a peeve of mine that the markings quickly rub off the syringes ! I was ******** to myself about that just 2 nights ago ! I saw Red Sea Rep speaker a local meeting he emphasized the necessity to get proper amounts of regents. I brought up this problem and asked if he could talk to who was in charge of making the syringes and do something about it ! He looked at me like a deer in headlights .
Yes majorly annoying especially when the #s are so critical in terms of what you add and put into the tests. I just ordered like 50 of them so I should be good to go now

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Justingrahm , I'll be looking into getting some myself !

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Justingrahm , I'll be looking into getting some myself !
U spelled my name wrong so ur not welcome.

Just playing I hope everyone who needs these syringes finds this post.
I'm happy to help everyone and anyone I can since everyone on here has done the same for me.

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it's really as simple as this ..

I was using Red Sea with no issues. I simply looked at the Hanna Checker as a more convenient, more simple digital way to measure my calcium. I saw a video (from mr saltwater tank) on youtube and he endorsed it and said it was good. So I went ahead and got it.

My readings with the Red Sea have always been accurate and were showing as 380-400 when I just did testing the last few days (was out of town and my calcium dropped, so now dosing the supplements to get back up to desired range)

My readings for the Hanna Checker were showing anywhere between 516 to 533!! I thought I must be doing something wrong, and went and watched the Hanna videos on youtube on how to correctly do the test. Have studied and look at this for a few days now and still can not get a good reading with it.... where as my Red Sea readings are at least consistent.

I am not sure what the problem is and what I may be doing wrong, but after researching it on this forum, seems I am not alone in these errors and the problems with this checker. Disappointed and really wish I could figure it out -- because I do like the digital aspect to it. But now just going to stick with the Red Sea. ...

just want to make sure the syringes are as simple as getting the 1 ml replacement ones ??

Just curious, but maybe it's your Red Sea that is off and the Hannah is actually accurate!?! I own both also... maybe I should see how they compare and we can get additional data into the mix. I also have the Exact iDip that I could throw into the mix.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious, but maybe it's your Red Sea that is off and the Hannah is actually accurate!?! I own both also... maybe I should see how they compare and we can get additional data into the mix. I also have the Exact iDip that I could throw into the mix.
Well I'm doing the same thing tonight with Red Sea and hanah

Back