Reef Chemistry Question of the Day #10

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Chemistry Question of the Day #10

Understanding the relative amounts of different things in a reef aquarium can help understand some of the processes taking place.

Please rank order, from highest concentration to lowest concentration, the following ions that are present in a typical reef aquarium.

A. Carbonate
B. Bicarbonate
C. Calcium
D. Phosphate

For example, if you thought carbonate was highest and phosphate the lowest, you might write A>C>B>D.

Good luck. :)

Kyuss414

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C<A<B<D

Although if you asked me 8-9 months ago when my tank was only a couple months old, I might have put D in first place :mmph:

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good work. I think the winner is lakeviewink!

The bicarbonate/carbonate distinction can be a tricky one, and the different units between the way we measure "alkalinity" (bicarbonate and carbonate) and calcium may make that comparison tricky.

The answer is

C > B > A > D
Calcium > Bicarbonate > Carbonate > Phosphate

The answer does depend on pH, but unless the pH is above about 8.9, there is more bicarbonate than carbonate.

The importance of calcium being a lot higher than bicarbonate (by about a factor of 4-5 or so when referring to the number of ions present) is that if you are using a balanced calcium and alkalinity additive system (limewater/kalkwasser, CaCO3/CO2 reactor, two/three part system with both main parts equal), then underdosing always results in alkalinity dropping noticeably first, and when overdosing, alkalinity always rises noticeably first.

lakeviewink

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha thanks. I thought maybe I was mistaken after everyone else's answers were different but I was pretty sure I had it right.
I had an older Seachem test for both bicarbonate and carbonate seperately and I remembered the carbonate was less by a ratio of around 2:1

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha thanks. I thought maybe I was mistaken after everyone else's answers were different but I was pretty sure I had it right.
I had an older Seachem test for both bicarbonate and carbonate seperately and I remembered the carbonate was less by a ratio of around 2:1

Excellent. Don't bow to peer pressure, especially in chemistry. :)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 150 88.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back