Reef Chemistry Question of the Day #113 Calcium and Alkalinity in One Additive

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Chemistry Question of the Day #113

Which of the following, when dissolved in freshwater, is not a suitable way to provide both calcium and alkalinity to a reef aquarium?

A. Calcium acetate
B. Calcium chloride
C. Calcium oxide
D. Calcium hydroxide

Good luck!

kacrocorals581

Gotta have that acro
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its b calcium chloride it well make dkh drop ,calcium acetate can bring both alk and ca and also a carbon source in some water conditions think it also inhibit fluoride, calcium oxide is just burnt lime and calcium hydroxide is lime

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you plz explain how do you stabilize The PH and KH in your tank ?

Alkalinity (KH) is best stabilized by adding alkalintiy in some fashion whenever you need it.

pH is best stabilized by maintaining appropriate alkalinity and good aeration with fresh air (not additives).

This has more:

The Many Methods for Supplementing Calcium and Alkalinity - REEFEDITION

The “How To” Guide to Reef Aquarium Chemistry for Beginners Part 3: pH by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And the answer is...B. Calcium chloride

Calcium chloride adds only calcium (and chloride, which has no impact on alkalinity).

Calcium acetate adds calcium and acetate ion. When the acetate ion is fully metabolized, it leaves a balanced amount of alkalinity in the water. Salifert All-In-One is such a product. I detail how it works in the link below.

Calcium hydroxide (also known as lime) is the dry material used to make limewater (kalkwasser). It adds calcium and hydroxide. Hydroxide provides alkalinity, and mostly combines with bicarbonate and/or carbon dioxide to make carbonate or bicarbonate in the water. Again, the link below details how this works.

Calcium oxide, CaO, also known as quicklime, is simply a dehydrated form of calcium hydroxide. Once added to water, it either dissolves or becomes calcium oxide. The rehydration gives off heat. I used this for years from the Mississippi Lime Company simply because this is what we got in a group buy.

This has more:

https://www.reef2reef.com/blog/the-many-methods-for-supplementing-calcium-and-alkalinity/

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 35.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back