Reef Chemistry Question of the Day #48 Epsom Salt

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Chemistry Question of the Day #48

Epsom salt is not optimal for making a large (200 ppm) boost to magnesium concentrations in a reef aquarium because it also contains which of the following:

A. Sodium ion
B. Epsilon ion
C. Chloride ion
D. Sulfate ion

Good luck!

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The answer is D. I'm getting better at these! :)

Nice choice for B! I like that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

DFW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
D!! That brings up the use of Prime in all my top off, and water change water. Is using Prime all the time ok? I always have added it to all of my ro/di water. I have "reasoned" that since I use Prime in all of my water, I can use magnesium chloride exclusively for mag supplement, thinking that the sulfate would likely come from the Prime. But I never have scientifically confirmed that is in fact the case.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
D!! That brings up the use of Prime in all my top off, and water change water. Is using Prime all the time ok? I always have added it to all of my ro/di water. I have "reasoned" that since I use Prime in all of my water, I can use magnesium chloride exclusively for mag supplement, thinking that the sulfate would likely come from the Prime. But I never have scientifically confirmed that is in fact the case.

There won't be enough sulfate in degraded Prime to make up that difference. I personally wouldn't use Prime in RO/DI water any way, since I don't see a benefit.

Do you use calcium chloride too? That is the big driver of added chloride relative to sulfate.

For magnesium only supplements, magnesium chloride alone is pretty good. Not perfect, but much better than Epsom salt alone. :)

DFW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There won't be enough sulfate in degraded Prime to make up that difference. I personally wouldn't use Prime in RO/DI water any way, since I don't see a benefit.

Do you use calcium chloride too? That is the big driver of added chloride relative to sulfate.

For magnesium only supplements, magnesium chloride alone is pretty good. Not perfect, but much better than Epsom salt alone. :)

Thank you, Randy, for your reply!

I use Prime in case there is some sort of spike of chemicals that make it through the water treatment plant, and/or through my filtration unit. Some in this area have had this happen, and they have lost fish, and coral. And it is supposed to promote a protective slime coat to fish, and I have supposed corals, too.
I have used nothing but lime water since setting up almost 6 years ago, except for the occasional addition of Seachem Advantage Calcium, and baked baking soda. I have dripped it nightly. Your articles were my guide. Thank you for that!

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And the answer is... D. Sulfate ion
Almost all of you nailed this one!

Epsom salt is magnesium sulfate heptahydrate, MgSO4.7(H2O).

Since magnesium has a molecular weight of only 24.3 g/mole, and sulfate (SO4--) weighs 96.1 g/mole, a 200 ppm boost to magnesium will add 791 ppm of sulfate.

Since there is about 2700 ppm of sulfate in seawater, this addition alone amounts to a 29% increase in sulfate.

While it isn't entirely known what the undesirable effects of elevated or depleted sulfate are in reef aquaria, that shift seems overly large and easily avoided.

The way to avoid it, as beaslbob points out, is to use magnesium chloride for a significant part of the addition. Specifically, since chloride and sulfate provide the vast majority of the negatively charged ions of seawater, using them both in such an addition keeps the relative balance of anions approximately correct. To maintain the seawater ratio of chloride to sulfate after the magnesium addition, one would add about 10 parts by volume magnesium chloride hexahydrate and 1 part by volume magnesium sulfate heptahydrate.

This has more:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-07/rhf/index.php

Happy Reefing. :)

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love these questions!
Even though I am clueless on some of them.

Glad you like them. :)

Some are more useful or important for reefers to know than others, but I hope they all provide some interesting insight.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back