Reef Chemistry Question of the Day #6

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphate has numerous forms that exist in reef aquaria, and the relative proportion of the various forms depends on several factors, especially pH. The actual forms present have a big impact on various processes, such as phosphate binding to calcium carbonate surfaces.

In seawater at pH 8.2, which form of inorganic phosphate predominates?

A. H3PO4
B. H[SIZE=-1]2[/SIZE]PO[SIZE=-1]4-[/SIZE]
C. HPO4--
D. PO[SIZE=-1]4---[/SIZE]

I'd rate this one as medium-high difficulty, except that everyone has at least a 25% chance of success. :D

Not that it helps any for this question, but my avatar is a phosphate molecule. Specifically, since the double bond is shown, it is H3PO4 without any hydrogen atoms shown. If it were really PO4---, all four phosphate atoms would be identical, with none able to be specified as the one with the double bond to the central phosphorus atom.

Good luck. :)

Last edited:

LetItReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The answer is C (HPO4--). If you look at the chart I have below, at pH 8.2, HPO4-- ishighest at around pH 9. It will need a higher pH to get to D.

Attachments

• chem101.jpg
    chem101.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 300

LetItReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a hint, that graph is not for seawater, which is VERY different than freshwater. :)
in fresh water the answer willbe HPO3—which is C. But for saltwater where there is a lot of Calcium andMagnesium ions, the answer is D. PO4--- it shifts faster, starting at pH 8.2.

So PO4--- it is.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without the goggle machine you got me stumped. I would have guessed c... But sounds like it's wrong.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great work. The answer is C.

Very high percentage correct on this one. I should make them harder. :D

The curves shown in the graph above shift quite a bit to the left for a variety of reasons, but not quite enough to change the answer.

The first is that in the presence of ordinary salts, such as sodium and chloride, it is easier to make more highly charged ions, such as HPO4--
and PO4---. In effect, the positively charged ions such as sodium surround the highly negatively charged species and stabilize them. So there ends up being a lot more HPO4-- and PO4--- than in fresh water.

The second effect was mentioned by LetItReef. Calcium and magnesium form soluble ion pairs with HPO4-- and, most especially, PO4---. Those ion pairs stabilize these forms even more, relative to H2PO4-, and again, we have more of the higher charged forms. Very little H2PO4- exists in seawater at pH 8.2 (less than 1%).
That said, the shift is not enough to make PO4--- the dominant species, at least until the pH gets fairly high, around 8.7, where it does dominate.

Here's a blurb from one of my articles:

The "simplest" form of phosphorus in seawater is inorganic orthophosphate (sometimes called Pi by biologists). It consists of a central phosphorus atom surrounded by four oxygen atoms in a tetrahedron (Figures 1 and 2). Three of these oxygen atoms can either have an attached hydrogen atom or carry a negative charge (Figure 2). The ratio of these different forms depends on the pH in seawater. At pH 8.1 seawater contains 0.5% H2PO4-, 79% HPO4-- and 20% PO4---. At higher pH the equilibrium shifts toward more PO4--- and less HPO4--. For a variety of reasons, especially including the ion pairing and consequent stabilization of PO4--- by calcium and magnesium, there is far more PO4--- in seawater than in freshwater at the same pH. This shift in phosphate species distribution with pH may seem esoteric, but it actually has important implications for such things as the binding of phosphate to calcium carbonate rock and sand, because the different forms bind to different extents.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 47 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back