Reef Chemistry Question of the Day #62 Gas Exchange 3 Photosynthesis

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Chemistry Question of the Day #62

Photosynthesizing organisms need carbon dioxide in order to make biomolecules.

The most simplified chemical equation describing photosynthesis is:

carbon dioxide + water + light --> carbohydrate plus oxygen

or in a chemical formula:

CO2 + H2O --> CH2O + O2

The concentration of free carbon dioxide in seawater is quite low, and getting enough of it into the interior of organisms fast enough can become a problem since it happens fairly slowly.

Which of the following is not a way that photosynthesizing marine organisms take up carbon dioxide? Note that some organisms use more than one of these choices.

A. Simple passive uptake of carbon dioxide by allowing it to randomly diffuse across their cell membranes
B. Protein transporters in cell membranes actively take up carbonic acid from the outside with the expenditure of energy
C. Carbonic anhydrase, an enzyme both inside and outside of cells, converts the more plentiful carbonic acid rapidly into free carbon dioxide to passively cross the membrane
D. Protein transporters in cell membranes actively take up bicarbonate from the outside with the expenditure of energy, and convert it into carbon dioxide
E. Cells pump out H+, converting extracellular bicarbonate into carbonic acid, which is then treated like choice B
F. Cells pump out OH-, converting carbonate into carbon dioxide, which then enters cells like choice A.
G. Calcification by corals produces H+, which is used to convert interior bicarbonate into carbonic acid then to free carbon dioxide

Good luck!

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll say A because they are simple organisms. But perhaps simple organisms or rather complex!

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And the answer is...F. Cells pump out OH-, converting carbonate into carbon dioxide, which then enters cells like choice A.

Looks like H2O wins a dollar. :)

F is just nonsense that I made up. OH- and carbonate (CO3--) won't react or combine in any way.

All of the other mechanisms are described in this article:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-10/rhf/index.php

H2O

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks . even a broken clock is right twice a day I got one or 2 out of 60 let's not make this a holyday

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back