Reef Chemistry Question of the Day #81 Conductivity of Pure Water

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Chemistry Question of the Day #81

We are all familiar with using TDS to measure the functioning of RO/DI systems.

Generally, TDS is a measure of charged ions in the water, and these are detected by conductivity (a TDS meter is a conductivity meter). That is, the charged ions moved in the water when an external electric field is applied, and a TDS meter detects this movement.

It turns out, however, that absolutely pure fresh water has some conductivity that can be detected with a suitable conductivity meter.

By contrast, there isn't any significant conductivity in most organic solvents (e.g., hexane).

Why is there any conductivity at all in pure fresh water?

Good luck!

Last edited:

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to say because Co2 gets inside and pure water has ph below 7 a bit. And co2 isn't charged?

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And the answer is...Autoionization (as 5bucks and beaslbob got exactly right!)

Water (H2O) has a tendency to spontaneously split apart into H+ and OH-:

H2O <----> H+ + OH-

That reaction reaches an equilibrium virtually instantly in any aqueous solution.

Because of the presence of these ions, water conducts electricity.
For reference, the conductivity of totally pure water is 0.055 mS/cm. It doesn't really make sense as a unit of measure, but if one converted that into ppm TDS, it would be roughly half that, or about 0.02 ppm TDS.

Aside: Often the purity of very pure water is presented in units of resistance, or Mohms (megaohms). In that case, totally pure water has a resistance of 18 Mohms, which is just 1/conductivity in mS/cm. Also, for curiosity, the highest known conductivity of an aqueous solution is that for 31% nitric acid, at 865 mS/cm, which is equivalent to more than 500,000 ppm TDS.

Happy Reefing. :)

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to say because Co2 gets inside and pure water has ph below 7 a bit. And co2 isn't charged?

Carbon dioxide will enter water and ionize into H+ and bicarbonate and carbonate, causing increased conductivity, up to 1-2 ppm TDS, but I was assuming it wasn't present. :)

Damon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And the answer is...Autoionization (as 5bucks and beaslbob got exactly right!)

Water (H2O) has a tendency to spontaneously split apart into H+ and OH-:

H2O <----> H+ + OH-

That reaction reaches an equilibrium virtually instantly in any aqueous solution.

Because of the presence of these ions, water conducts electricity.
For reference, the conductivity of totally pure water is 0.055 mS/cm. It doesn't really make sense as a unit of measure, but if one converted that into ppm TDS, it would be roughly half that, or about 0.02 ppm TDS.

Aside: Often the purity of very pure water is presented in units of resistance, or Mohms (megaohms). In that case, totally pure water has a resistance of 18 Mohms, which is just 1/conductivity in mS/cm. Also, for curiosity, the highest known conductivity of an aqueous solution is that for 31% nitric acid, at 865 mS/cm, which is equivalent to more than 500,000 ppm TDS.

Happy Reefing. :)
Wow randy! Lol, i could have used you maybe 10 to 20 times with the "does conduct electricity" comment. I have argued that for years it seems to some toeheads, and always "no, no, no, your nuts!".. Lol, guess I'm not so crazy after all.. Lol well, i am crazy.. But not on this one!

Bookmarked thread (for the idiots I run into later)!

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, quite right.
H+ is most often shown as H3O+ in water. In terms of conductivity, however, the whole H3O+ is not moving. Just the H+, and even that is not moving like a normal ion, but moving by attaching to an H2O on one side and a new H+ pops off the other side.

For that reason, H+ and OH- have unusually high conductivity. :)

Last edited:

Chameleon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, quite right.
H+ is most often shown as H3O+ in water. In terms of conductivity, however, the whole H3O+ is not moving. Just the H+, and even that is not moving like a normal ion, but moving by attaching to an H2O on one side and a new H+ pops off the other side.

For that reason, H+ and OH- have unusually high conductivity. :)
cool us biochemists always leave it up to yall chemist to do the real chemistry ;)

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon dioxide will enter water and ionize into H+ and bicarbonate and carbonate, causing increased conductivity, up to 1-2 ppm TDS, but I was assuming it wasn't present. :)

So I was right but slightly wrong :D

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back