Reef crystals vs esv - triton test

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drew, is now a good time? Like to hear what you have to say.

jasonandsarah

Sticks, sticks and more STICKS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Crystals for me! :fencing: I've tried other salts it just never works as good.

glassguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So can we all chip in and take donations for a "salt test of all brands" and we post the results? I know a good lawyer!

OP
OP
hart24601

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

Hi Bret,

My apologies for taking so long to get back to you. I sent samples to both Triton and ENC Labs. ENC Labs had a long turn over time, and I didn't see the last of my results until the very end of December. Their communication was great though. They would email me each week with the results for different parameters depending on what their equipment was set for that week. I also wanted to spend some time researching the potential toxicity of lithium. Please feel free to post the following response and thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Based on test results from identical samples sent to Triton Labs and ENC Labs (Enclabs.com), we have confirmed the lithium concentration of our B-Ionic Seawater System to be substantially higher than natural seawater levels on batches produced during a single 6-7 week period (June 25 to August 15) in 2014. This resulted from a shipment of raw material produced in a different geographical area than our usual source. Liquid Component A is the component of the system which contains the higher lithium concentration. Fortunately through research, my own use, and personal communication with aquarium professionals who have used batches produced during this time in SPS systems, we are confident no harm will occur to aquarium inhabitants exposed to these higher lithium levels. The levels in these batches are approximately 50 times lower than those that have been documented to cause harm to a marine invertebrate. Lithium levels in a synthetic sea salt produced by another manufacturer in the past far exceeded those found in our high lithium batches. The publication "Mineral Tolerance of Animals: Second Revised Edition" (Committee on Minerals and Toxic Substances in Diets and Water for Animals, National Research Council) which is a primary reference used to determine Maximum Tolerable Levels of minerals in feed for farm animals and aqua cultured fish rates lithium as a mineral of "Low Concern". They also recommend a Maximum Tolerable Level of lithium in feed of 25 ppm (25,000 ppb). Lithium concentraion in marine plant tissues can be as high as 8000 ppb dry weight. Although we are confident the salt system is safe to use, we understand if some customers have concerns. We would be happy to discuss the replacement of the Component A if you call us at 800-846-9449 with the Lot number of the liquid. Our Lot number is also the date manufactured so effected Lots would be 062514 to 081514. All Lot numbers of Component A before and after this period are not effected. The best time to call is M-F 10:30am to 4:30pm EST. We apologize for any concern this may have caused, and have taken measures to insure it doesn't happen again.

Best Regards,

Bob Stark

President

ESV Aquarium Products Inc.

OP
OP
hart24601

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI I did ask approval before posting his email.

Side note... I am happy this was confirmed and not just a testing error I made!! Also good to see ESV taking it seriously and gives me respect for the company and their products. I might try their supplements.

Last edited:

TheClark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! Good for esv to be open with the results, very impressive!

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My batch barely dodged the bullet, woot! Previous batches, who knows but never saw anything to cause concern.

OP
OP
hart24601

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured if there was a problem they would fix it, so I kept the ESV hoping they would replace the issue, and they did so it's all good, no dumping of salt.

OP
OP
hart24601

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like they made a few other changes too:

Thanks for your kind words Bret. Our efforts to improve are made easier when our customers provide valuable feedback such as yours. If you would like your Component A replaced just email me your UPS shipping address and how much you'll need. I'll ship it right out. We also "tweeked" some other parameters and brought them closer to Triton's "green" zones when we saw suitable agreement between Triton and ENC Labs results.

Best Regards,

Bob Stark

ESV Aquarium Products Inc.

jasonandsarah

Sticks, sticks and more STICKS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He makes it sound like the Triton testing is pretty accurate compared to ENC as well.

swk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm aware of some important stuff going on. If you want to give me call. 917 209 1125 I'll happily update any of you.

I would encourage people to take andrew up on this offer.

Based on some info that came to light during a conversation we had, I ended up switching salts. Turns out, the salt I was using tested perfect in the tank, but a fresh mix was a different story with maganese being 30-50x nsw levels.

I switched brands and begun doing large water changes immediately. I cannot overstate how much of an impact was made almost immediately in my sps corals. I mean, I was writing my struggles off as being new to sps corals, turns out I was doing all the right stuff, but was being screwed over by a bad product with a high level of what can be a nasty element.

My tank now is what I've always wanted to attain. A healthy and thriving sps tank. And I have no one but andrew to thank for opening my eyes and helping me out. All this off of one conversation back in December.

swk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I'm glad you through out that blue salt. Glad it's all well. What did you go with.

Plain old IO that I customize to my parameters by adding calcium and mag, and using hydrochloric acid to drop the alk to nsw levels. Takes me about 3-4 days to complete the process of making water, but it's literally solved ALL of my issues I was having.

I'm currently headed down to la for a family vacation to Disneyland, but I'll give you a call this week. I'm anxious to hear what else you've learned

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%

Back