Refugium too large? Too much macro?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

JustinFromAL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen a lot of reference for the refugium section in a Triton setup to 10%-20% of the size of the DT. Is it possible to have the refugium be TOO large or have TOO much macro? I'm looking at a refugium that's 200%+ of my frag tank/DT!

My origional setup had a 150g stock tank as a sump with live rock and a skimmer. A single pump manifold would feed a seperate stock tank refugium, a flood table frag tank, and a DT upstairs.

I've done a bit of research and I really like the Triton approach and I understand the reasoning behind a "refugium first" model. So I move things around a bit I could end up with....

150g (100g actual) stock tank refigum with ~100# live rock.
Manifold that distributes water to....
100g (75g actual) stock tank mangroves + skimmer with sand
40g flood table frag tank with eggcrate, no substrate
80g shallow reef display tank (upstairs) with sand

I feel like that setup will maximize flow/exposure to my macro algae. The mangroves are for fun, and that tank will also full siphon down to the refugium/sump so it should maximize surface skimming in that tank.

My question is could I have TOO much refuguim/macro algae? Or is that basically a "self correcting" problem?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you can strip the water of nutrients w too many macros.
I just did it. Cool experiment. It was the Zoas that let me know I was there.

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My refugium is like 40% roughly of display. The display is overstocked. 12 fish in a 75g. And coral/invert/nems. My nitrate and phos are undetectable on red sea tests. All my coral are growing. Very mixed. Only run a skimmer. So a 200%! That would defanitly pull every lil scrap out. but constant feeding as I do will keep everyone happy. I feed twice a day. Mixed seafood/nori/mysis/pellet/flake/reef chilli.

20160922_130016.jpg

20160717_132731.jpg

djd3mon

Reefing since 2016!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My refugium is like 40% roughly of display. The display is overstocked. 12 fish in a 75g. And coral/invert/nems. My nitrate and phos are undetectable on red sea tests. All my coral are growing. Very mixed. Only run a skimmer. So a 200%! That would defanitly pull every lil scrap out. but constant feeding as I do will keep everyone happy. I feed twice a day. Mixed seafood/nori/mysis/pellet/flake/reef chilli.

20160922_130016.jpg

20160717_132731.jpg

That is an awesome DT and Fuge!!!

OP
OP
JustinFromAL

JustinFromAL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies!

I'm glad I asked because I would have probably maxed that thing out with Macro. I think I'll still keep the tank layout the same but try to only keep "20 gallons" of macro in it at any given time.

McMullen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like a solid plan. You can always adjust, let it grow or trim back. It's seems it's not the size of the refugium, rather the type and size of the macro. The extra water volume will be of benefit.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back