Reverse photo period summer time?

aaron23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I live on the 3rd floor and the apartment building is anywhere from 5-10 degrees warmer vs outside mainly due to the restaurants below.

I have a 40 gal NUVO SPS dominated and the tank consistently reaches temps of 84+. I leave the AC on in the apartment and the electric bill is getting too high and it's only June!!!

I'm considering moving my photo period to 7:30AM to 2:30PM.

Any thoughts/concerns?

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of lighting. And have you tried putting. A fan blowing in top of water? I don't see an issue with you changing photo period. Your Coral might close up a bit reajusting

OP
OP
aaron23

aaron23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 6Bulb t5 fixture - I have the tank 2ft from a large window with a fan infront bringing in fresh air. I just bought 2 fans one to clip on to the tank and a stronger fan to place in the window

mrtian97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set my light schedule from 6:30pm - 3 am.
My tank is in hallway area, therefore not much natural light in day time. I did this for temp management and also lower electricity cost (I am on Time of Use plan that cost cheaper after 8pm)

dbrewsky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep my house at 78 and have fans that vent my canopy, but do not actively evaporate water and I am able to maintain 79 degrees with about a half degree swing max. I would be able to further stabilize it if I installed a fan to blow directly on the water.

One thing that does help is minimizing the amount of equipment that can introduce heat in the water and/or use more efficient pumps etc. You might want to check to see if your heaters might be kicking on and elevating the water.

cloak

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The photoperiod is all the same, whether your awake or not. GL

If temperature is a problem, my tank varies between 76-85 throughout the year. No problem.. As long as this vartiation doesn't change too quick you should be golden though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
aaron23

aaron23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked into that @dbrewsky 2 tunze power heads a HOB skimmer and a sicce syncra 1.5 can't do with less.

@Kershaw Not sure if I put the AC at 78 that will reduce the bill since the AC is set on low if it's still running I assume it'll still use the same electricity?

@mrtian97 you are very lucky lol the tank is in my bedroom and I live in a studio

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some locations charge more for electricity during peak hours so some reefers run their tanks off peak hours to save money. You won't have any issues. Your corals and fish will adjust to the different time schedule.

OP
OP
aaron23

aaron23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ritter6788 thank you for the reassurance. I live in NY city don't think they'll give me off peak hours lol

@Kershaw No real thermostat my clock has an internal thermometer it always reads 5-10 degrees warmer. Good thing is there's never an issue during the winter I have to open the windows when it snows

OP
OP
aaron23

aaron23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys were right about off use hours. Must apply for it but when using electric during peak hours you'll be charged more and less during off peak!

Can't imagine if I want to turn AC on during day since this summer seems like the warmest yet

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back