Rich and Famous Reef Owners

711reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Michael moye was the creator and writer of married with children. he also worked on many tv shows like the jeffersons, different strokes, and good times to name a few. he was an avid reefer years ago and frequented another reef website for years under a handle. he finally revealed his true identity after years of being just another reef guy

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-03/totm/index.php

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Michael moye was the creator and writer of married with children. he also worked on many tv shows like the jeffersons, different strokes, and good times to name a few. he was an avid reefer years ago and frequented another reef website for years under a handle. he finally revealed his true identity after years of being just another reef guy

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-03/totm/index.php
He is still really into his tank. His sps grows like weeds and he seriously cuts back his sps by 2/3's almost annually.

Dick Perrin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Michael Bloomberg is a huge aquarium guy. Rumor has it he has the largest clam in captivity in one of his many tanks. His offices and buildings are packed with tanks.
We sold him a 24" Gigas some years ago while he was in office for his office tank. We grew it here at Tropicorium from a 3 incher over many years. I don't know if he still has it.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice to see you Post Dick . I remember stopping by Tropicorium on a trip back from visiting Steve Tyree back in the 90's with my old friend Jim McCubbins who past a way 10 years ago from cancer. You really had a interesting setup.:)

Fishboy42

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We sold him a 24" Gigas some years ago while he was in office for his office tank. We grew it here at Tropicorium from a 3 incher over many years. I don't know if he still has it.

Hi Dick, hope all is well! (this is Matt from SA). My sister works for Mr. Bloomberg, so when I visited her last year, I took some pictures of the tanks. I'm pretty sure your clam is still there in the large reeftank (along with a PAIR of hybrid achilles/goldrim tangs!). I'll see if I can get her to take a picture of it for us. Here's me and Amy with a tank -- there's a reeftank on every floor. Amy and Matt Bloomberg.JPG

SCMatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Roman Atwood IMG_2472.JPG

Best part about Roman is he is actually a reef junkie. He knows the fish, the coral, etc. Always talks about growing up begging for $5 or $10 equivalent frag scraps at his LFS, and saying that the reef is what he spent his paychecks on. Most other celebrities don't tend to have this type of love for the hobby. He's always showing his setups and showed the initial setup of the main tank in his vlogs on youtube for anyone interested might have to go back a bit to find them. Also has a Tanked episode.

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best part about Roman is he is actually a reef junkie. He knows the fish, the coral, etc. Always talks about growing up begging for $5 or $10 equivalent frag scraps at his LFS, and saying that the reef is what he spent his paychecks on. Most other celebrities don't tend to have this type of love for the hobby. He's always showing his setups and showed the initial setup of the main tank in his vlogs on youtube for anyone interested might have to go back a bit to find them. Also has a Tanked episode.

You knew he was actually into the hobby when you saw his magfloat in the shot when he was on Tanked.

Wh00pS32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of the ones i've seen listed before are,
Madonna.
Ice T.
Nelly.
Steven Spielberg.
Cher.
Alexander McQueen.
Dr Dre.
Mariah Carey.
Although i'm pretty sure none of them touch them themselves :D

Last edited:

Dick Perrin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow dick perrin is here on this site. a legend in coral propagation. I hope this is really you and not some troll.
Yeah, it's me. We're still growing some knockout corals, here, with my son, Ray doing most of the work, but it's sad to say that coral keeping in SE Michigan is a fraction of what it used to be. People still buy fish, thankfully, and we're having a good season but I miss the coral excitement that we used to enjoy. Mike Paletta said some very nice things about us at the last MACNA, especially about our adventures with Tridacna clam culture. Nice to know some people still recognize my name.

robby2782

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Jimmy Johnson used to have a tank 20 years ago back when he was still coaching the cowboys.

He did! My Dad and his partner of "Aqua Pets" had a service account with him back in the early 90's. Same with Emmitt Smith. I was too young to appreciate it back then, but my Dad enjoyed the perks of it.

nwkermit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I talked to someone that worked with the tanked guy locally during a build. They only put the fishes in for the shoot. After they got it on tape, local guys come in and catch all the fish and wait for tank to cycle.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I talked to someone that worked with the tanked guy locally during a build. They only put the fishes in for the shoot. After they got it on tape, local guys come in and catch all the fish and wait for tank to cycle.

Maybe and hopefully this is a newer policy, because some time back there were a number of reports all fish died and a number of those tanks were on ebay or CL or something not much later, but either way it's misleading to the public and to some LFS

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back