Roni's 270 Miracles Tank

Acropora52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a thread going on my local forums but figured I'd put this up. It's still very much a work in progress but slowly progressing.

Hardware:

Tank 72 x 36 W x 24 T Miracles rimless tank. central overflow; custom stand built by a local club member.

Lighting I debated LEDs and LED/T5 combos for a while. I would have gotten an LED/T5 combo if I could have but will instead do a 10 x 80 Powermodule as I've found the best color under LEDs. I will miss the shimmer from LEDs and metal halide but the expensive/heat respectively made T5 the best choice for me.

Filtration Protein skimming will be accomplished with an SRO 5000 XP cone skimmer with the Bubbleblaster 5000 pump. This thing is huge and has gotten great reviews from everyone that uses it. 57 W Aqua UV sterilizer. Carbon in a SMR1 reactor

Water Motion I'm a big fan of lots of varying types of water motion. For the return, I'm going with a Reeflo Hammerhead Gold which will feed the reactors, frag tank, fuge, and 2 1" returns. I expect about 2000 GPH to the main tank. I'm also going with 1 Tunze 6105 and MP60 on random on one end, and a Tunze Wavebox along the backwall. I love the up and down water motion that the wavebox provides and with it oriented along the width of the tank, expect a 1" wave at most, which will help with the rimless tank. I'm doing a beananimal type overflow and it's been great so far.

Controller Apex with 1 EB8 and 1 DC8

Support Most of the guts of the system will be in a fishroom I recently had built. 2 sumps totalling about 100 gallons will be tied in with a 60 gallon frag tank. I have a 160 gallon salt water reservoir and a 50 gallon brute freshwater reservoir in the room. Water will be produced by a 150 GPD RO/DI.

Additives RO water topoff will be via a Spectrapure LM3. I have an Ebay 3 part doser for dosing 2 part. I'm also planning on small water changes with the Genesis water change setup. I'll plan on about 10 gallons a week to start. I'll also likely dose Lugol's and TM pro coral.

400 gallon system in the works.

OP
OP
Acropora52

Acropora52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some pics after a day of working on the fishroom.

Frag Tank
IMG_9286.jpg

2 Sumps
IMG_9287.jpg

IMG_9288.jpg

Water storage
IMG_9289.jpg

Return Pump
IMG_9291.jpg

Skimmer

IMG_9292.jpg

RO/DI
IMG_9283.jpg

Lights....This is heavy and bright!
2011-09-17172708.jpg

2011-09-17173028.jpg

OP
OP
Acropora52

Acropora52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Procrastinating and trying to figure out excuses why we shouldn't try to move this monster:

IMG_1052.jpg

Moving the 70G tank to make room for the new addition:

IMG_1048.jpg

IMG_1050.jpg

The stand is in place:

IMG_1049.jpg

IMG_1047.jpg

IMG_1056.jpg

IMG_1057.jpg

soccerbag

Chalices did this to me!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for posting it here Roni. LOVE the new setup! Can't wait to see it in person soon.

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks really nice Roni. Sorry if I missed it but how long has it been up now. VA, has so many nice tanks and now theres another great one. Congrats

OP
OP
Acropora52

Acropora52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks really nice Roni. Sorry if I missed it but how long has it been up now. VA, has so many nice tanks and now theres another great one. Congrats

Brett, Thanks! Much of this was transferred from my 70. I also picked up some corals from a tank breakdown recently (some of the larger chalices). There were also corals and fish that have been in qt for a while. The 270 has been up for about a month.

Thanks for posting it here Roni. LOVE the new setup! Can't wait to see it in person soon.

Thanks Craig! You pick the weekend. I'm actually off for once ;)

OP
OP
Acropora52

Acropora52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Troy! Lots of work to do but it's coming along nicely. I'm pretty much at capacity for fish thanks to someone taking down a very nice 300 gallon reef. I've always been a coral guy more then a fish guy but really enjoying the motion in the tank.

This weekend I will hopefully get the 2 part doser setup, get the frag tank lighting up, and hookup the wavebox.

Murfman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice! How far up are you pumping from the sump to the tank? I get back to Manassas once a year or so to visit my parents and usually go down to Newport news to visit, as well.

OP
OP
Acropora52

Acropora52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Pumping up about 8 ft total from the fish room directly below the reef. Lots of people with nice tanks in this area, though most are on the local forum (wamas)

Murfman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you have a lot more flow than you realize with a HH pump. It is a pressure rated pump at 2550 gph at 8'.

OP
OP
Acropora52

Acropora52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, wanted some advice. I've had a persistent leak to my frag tank and I'm thinking of redoing the plumbing. Currently, the frag tank is fed off the main pump manifold, which I'm keeping, which then feeds a UV inline and the feeds the frag tank. I put the UV sterilizer down from the main reef line to make sure there is always water in the line. However, the leaks haven't been fixed despite using some silicone afterwards. I'm going to replumb it as I think I didn't get enough contact on the joint that keeps leaking. However, I've been rethinking how the UV is plumbed in since it will make changing the bulb difficult. Do I need to have the UV lower in line or can it be elevated (and still fill with water when water is turned off).

OP
OP
Acropora52

Acropora52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spent a little time on the tank the last couple weeks. Got the frag tank hooked up as well as the UV and the wavebox. The wavebox doesn't make a huge wave due to being oriented front to back and also hidden by the rock but it's a nice swelling motion.

The fish are doing well, though someone is picking on the black tang. :angry: Hopefully it will stop. My clowns are starting to show egg laying behavior and this will be the first clutch for the young couple.

IMG_9312.jpg

IMG_9313.jpg

IMG_9316.jpg

IMG_9318.jpg
IMG_9319.jpg

IMG_9320.jpg

IMG_9321.jpg

IMG_9322.jpg
IMG_9323.jpg
IMG_9326.jpg
IMG_9327.jpg
IMG_9325.jpg