Equipment:
  • CADLights Artisan II 48x24x20 100g Starfire Display Tank
  • CADLights White Gloss Stand
  • Oceanic Solana 48x18x18 67g Refugium and Frag Tank
  • 40b Common Sump with Custom baffles
  • Vertex Omega 150 Skimmer
  • Avast Marine Swabbie and Skimmate Locker
  • Avast Marine Media Reactor
  • Two Maxspect Gyre XF150's (One for each tank)
  • Two Jebao DC9000 Return Pumps (One for each tank)
  • AquaUV Sterilizer
  • Pacific Sun Kore 5th Doser with ATO as well as DropDose accessory
  • ATI LED Powermodule 48" 4 Bulb Light Fixture
  • Apex Neptune with ALD, Conductivity, pH, Temp, Avast Locker Sensor, and two AFS feeders
  • BRS RO/DI with Addon DI Canisters
  • More I can't remember...

Dosing:
  • Triton Base Elementz (Cal/Alk/Mag/Trace)
  • Triton Individual Elements when needed
  • KZ Sponge Power
  • Others...
Original build thread: http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/350456-sangheilis-cad-lights-100g-artisan-build/

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sangheili

Sangheili

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some photos from the build process...

The display tank is situated in our downstairs living room and has an enclosed "service" room behind it. I turned the room into a fish room of course! Had to move the water softener, add a tank for frags/refugium, add a couple shelving units, lots of plumbing, RODI, and RODI container.

Yk8FFA4.jpg

RBWdrvC.jpg

Apex Board and Water Softener piping

nhVmpw2.jpg

Battery Backup behind the Apex board
3NAAkCM.jpg

Plumbing parts...
4kVb1Iu.jpg

Fishroom starting to come together...
Z5wsGTn.jpg

z80tIsm.jpg

Flooring...
vQrPHpe.jpg

Dosing setup...
NiLIS9B.jpg

Apex board...
8gYMWTT.jpg

8xwGqTV.jpg

Shot of under the tank...
6eycc50.jpg

OP
OP
Sangheili

Sangheili

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And the latest photos :wink:

rDjz8J9.jpg

nlzEdT3.jpg

yAYWCCS.jpg

NE32mEL.jpg

SErQe8a.jpg

Y5va4kO.jpg

7hzOxaw.jpg

tJCh9ON.jpg

U2qKkqI.jpg

cBkBviL.jpg

syYC0vW.jpg

I don't have pics of it but the frag tank in the fish room is jam packed with SPS frags. I'm going to start placing them in the display in the next week or two after I'm 100% sure they are pest free. Lots of stuff like SSC, Red Dragon, Red Planet, Pink Lemonade, Hawkin's Echinata, etc.

The overall goal is SPS on the left of the tank with Zoas on the rockwork below it, and "Florida" on the right side with Gorgs, Rock Nems, Ricordia, etc. Oh and clams throughout :biggrin1:

OP
OP
Sangheili

Sangheili

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a great setup. How do you like that CAD stand?

Its the newer design with solid wood. I like it, for the price it's pretty dang nice. I can confirm it is indeed solid plywood under the paint as you can see I had to enlarge the rear holes for my through-wall plumbing.

One of the doors has cracked on the edge however so I need to get that dealt with. Don't expect Reefsavvy quality with your nose up to it, but from a distance it looks perfect.

Speaking of them, my goal/plan is eventually to replace this tank with a Reefsavvy that spans the whole wall. :smokin:

heathd.hd

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great build lots of attention to detail. Look forward to seeing this thing full of colonies!

OP
OP
Sangheili

Sangheili

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current Fish/Invert List:

Display Tank
  • Lyretail Anthias (1x Male 2x Female)
  • Bartlett's Anthias (3x Female)
  • Ignitus Anthias (1x Female)
  • Red Saddled Anthias (1x)
  • Red Velvet Fairy Wrasse (1x Male)
  • Naoko's Fairy Wrasse (1x Male)
  • Red Head Solon Wrasse (1x Male)
  • Leopard Wrasse (1x)
  • Yellowhead Jawfish (1x)
  • Chalk Bass (2x)
  • Tobacco Bass (1x)
  • Lantern Bass (1x)
Refuge Tank
  • Diamond Watchman Goby (1x)
  • Purple Firefish (1x)
  • Arrow Crab (1x)
  • Decorator Crab (1x)
  • Pedersoni Cleaner Shrimp (2x)
  • Spotted Anemone Shrimp (2x)
  • Sexy Shrimp (2x)
  • Porcelain Anemone Crab (2x)
  • Purple Reef Lobster (1x)
Sump
  • Mantis Shrimp (Odontodactylus havanensis) (1x)

LILBUDDHA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
U have a great eye for detail . Love the pic's . I did notice one item that I saw . I would contact ATI NA and see if they can get you the acrylic clips . Great fixture but that flaw with the sagging acrylic shield will lead to failed fans n ballasts down the road. I did have a PM but not the hybrid . The light will suck in moisture n corrosion occurs causing the failure.
I also am a fan of those tank less water heaters. .How are u liking the Triton system ?

OP
OP
Sangheili

Sangheili

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
U have a great eye for detail . Love the pic's . I did notice one item that I saw . I would contact ATI NA and see if they can get you the acrylic clips . Great fixture but that flaw with the sagging acrylic shield will lead to failed fans n ballasts down the road. I did have a PM but not the hybrid . The light will suck in moisture n corrosion occurs causing the failure.
I also am a fan of those tank less water heaters. .How are u liking the Triton system ?

Thanks for the kind words! I don't think the acrylic will sag but I will for sure keep an eye on it. This is the newest revision of the fixture. The gap you see is because that pic was taken from the "exhaust" end of the air flow, since the fans on top are pulling air in and it comes out that end.

The tankless heaters are great when working right. I actually just replaced the one in my garage (the house has two) because it couldn't keep the water warm consistently - probably a flow meter issue or something. New one is working great though.

Triton is fantastic so far. The tank is just over 2 months old and everything is growing like weeds (including some cyano in my frag tank). The stability is great and no water changes means more time to focus on other husbandry.

LILBUDDHA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
,Good to hear . I guess I was seeing things . On the TL water heaters , I can share the lil frustration . I didn't know it was undersized until company came to visit .
U are the first one I have seen using the full method, so I look forward to more updates. I am sure there are others though . I just can't figure out the no water change part. . Is there some type of salt used ( sodium free) like the FM,TM balling stuff to bring excess elements within NSW parameters ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sangheili

Sangheili

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to hear . I guess I was seeing things . On the TL water heaters , I can share the lil frustration . I didn't know it was undersized until company came to visit .
U are the first one I have seen using the full method so I look forward to more updates in the states . I am sure there are others though . I just can't figure out the no water change part. . Is there some type of salt used ( sodium free) like the FM,TM balling stuff to bring excess elements within NSW parameters ?

Put simply,

Bad Elements are removed by: GFO/Skimmer/Carbon/Refugium Clippings

Good Elements replaced by: Base Elementz (Cal/Alk/Mag/Trace)

The Base Elementz as I understand it is essentially a very pure 3-part dosing with added in trace elements at the ratios consumed by "normal" tanks.

Of course then there is a regular water tests that can highlight any deviation and lead to corrections.

OP
OP
Sangheili

Sangheili

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just finished 4 days of Lights Out on my frag tank and its looking good. The cyano is 99% gone but I am pretty sure it will come back. A little is showing up in the display now also.

I also messed with the Gyres yesterday and set them up with A-A paddles for alternating gyre mode. Ended up with water all over the floor while making the changes because the instructions kind of lack. It's all working now though and the flow is actually quite a bit more without destroying my sandbed. In fact I woke up this morning to some more water on my floor (In the fish room) due to tiny chunks of Cheato clogging my overflow and the water level rising. This hasn't happened before so obviously more flow is going on.

Last edited:

heathd.hd

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to see your having good results. Can't wait until I start into triton myself.

LILBUDDHA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just went through this thread again . What made you change your mind on the ASIS DIY units u built ? I have been looking at those recently but it seems some ppl are not keeping them .

OP
OP
Sangheili

Sangheili

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main problem I had wasnt with the heatsinks but with the fact that I had LEDs with no optics. I wasn't getting the par I wanted and also the light was super bright in my eyes when I would sit on the couch. I also read a lot of comments about SPS and LED difficulties so I decided to try out T5/LED Hybrid. Extremely happy I did.

The ASIS and LED combo is a great setup, just not perfect for my needs.

(As a side note, I am selling the ASIS lights if anyone is interested. PM me or find my thread in the sale forum)

In other news, my CYANO IS DYING OFF! WOOOHOOO

OP
OP
Sangheili

Sangheili

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've gotten sick of picking out tiny strands of cheato from my frag rack. I am going to drill and setup my spare 20 Long tank as a dedicated refugium. It'll be placed on the shelving unit above the doser and i'm going to direct the output of the UV into it (super easy setup).

Should have the overflow kit early next week and I can try my hand at drilling glass!

Back