Save my corals.

Jordan berry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had Dino and had to cut the lights out for 3 days and than used 5 hours max after that for another 2 weeks during that time my ph was kept around 8.3 to 8.4 from dosing 2 part with no water changes to starve out the Dino my calc at 420 my all 11dkh.. With the Dino all corals were doing great. At the end of all this commotion I did. 50 percent water change in my 90 gallon with a 35 gallon sump. That's when everything started to look like crap. My Xenia died during lights out. My heat was about 1 degree up from the water change. I dosed for calc and all because calk was at 400 and all was 172. the day after my blue damsel looked to have fin rot. I set up my qt tank and by the time the water was ready the fish looked healthy. My Parameters are 1.025 salinity. My phosphate is .07 my nitrite nitrate and ammonia are 0. I have been having issues keeping my protein skimmer skimming. Should I get something to test for orp? My water flow is strong and intermittent but the whole tank is suffering from the green nepthea to the mushrooms and zoas. So it's not a flow problem. Either too strong of light after lights out or a possible orp problem. I also started dosing coral vital to see if any corals cheered up which they didn't. My water is extremely clear if I had an orp problem would it be visible? Thanks for the help I really don't want to kill everything. My fish and inverts are fine.

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wouldnt be an orp issue. i dosed hydrogen peroxide for days during lights out when i had a case of dinos. usually they drop orp to 200mv.

xenias dying after your wc and a lights out is a good indicator that a major change occurred during that process.

after a lights out period, nothing is growing to skim yet so it has to catch back up. usually by the 5-7th day.

you have a po4 dominant tank. nothing good happens from that. usually pest algaes and other baddies come in and take over with those conditions.

use phosguard or gfo and get po4 to 0 and then remove it after you see detectable nitrates again or if it is exhausted.
hopefully your nitrates will rise so that it is a nitrate dominant tank again. you could also dose to correct it, however your corals need the least amount of change right now.

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wouldnt be an orp issue. i dosed hydrogen peroxide for days during lights out when i had a case of dinos. usually they drop orp to 200mv.

xenias dying after your wc and a lights out is a good indicator that a major change occurred during that process.

after a lights out period, nothing is growing to skim yet so it has to catch back up. usually by the 5-7th day.

you have a po4 dominant tank. nothing good happens from that. usually pest algaes and other baddies come in and take over with those conditions.

use phosguard or gfo and get po4 to 0 and then remove it after you see detectable nitrates again or if it is exhausted.
hopefully your nitrates will rise so that it is a nitrate dominant tank again. you could also dose to correct it, however your corals need the least amount of change right now.
I agree with you Russ on this one.
Zenia death due to massive change in water chemistry.

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have gfo running at the moment. In a reactor. It's only been up for 2 days.

gfo is pretty quick reacting. see if you can get nitrates up then cut the reactor and monitor what your system trends at.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 48.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 12 29.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back