Saving a few clams (economical reef keeping)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When it comes to saving money on reef keeping, the old cliche "every little bit helps" is super relevant, isn't it?

This is not an inexpensive hobby, and it's not gotten any cheaper over the years. New equipment reflects the current economy, aquariums themselves have not gotten any cheaper, and fish and corals- well- we've talked about "coral-nomics" before. Save a few hype-mongering "fanboys" who apparently have limitless dollars- and attitudes to match- for hyper expensive photoshopped "LE" corals, most of us have to live within our means.

And that's okay. There are ways to control hobby expenses and still enjoy your reef. I thought we'd take a little look at some of them, and maybe you could chime in!

Feeding: Let's face it- today's commercially-available frozen foods are awesome. But they can be expensive. That's why many hobbyists supplement their purchases of commercial frozen food by making their own frozen preparations, complete with fresh, wholesome ingredients like chopped-up seafoods, Spirulina, and fish roe. Many of the ingredients you need are available from the local supermarket, and there are numerous recipes on line to "consult." Bonus tip- you can save even more money going in on the ingredients with a few friends, enjoying the economies of scale that are realized when you purchase more ingredients at one time. I know of at least one club (Boston Reefers) that actually has an event where they make their own food as a group. It's stinky, fun, and really a great idea! Warning: Definitely consult your significant other before preparing said food, and be sure to obtain permission (i.e.; bribes, etc.) to use the Cuisinart and other kitchen implements for this process! Special warning: When you make your own food, be sure to label it, because it would suck thinking you're microwaving a frozen hamburger patty, only to find out you've just made a tasty "soup" of fresh mussels, Sprulina algae, fish roe, HUFAs, and shrimp.

fishcakes8.jpg

There's nothing like a home-cooked...coral food!

Water Changes: Yes, that's right; we've talked about this so much it's almost boring- but the single best "additive" that you can use is a water change, performed with freshly-made synthetic seawater. As we've touched on before, almost every brand of commercially available synthetic sea salt has all of the major and minor trace elements, as well as vitamins, minerals, etc. to create a near-perfect medium to grow fishes and corals. Since you can purchase salt mixes in bulk, you'll save lots of money over time that you'd have otherwise spent on tons of additives. trace elements, etc. I'm not saying to forgo the supplements- what I AM saying is that you'll realize a savings if you reduce significantly your expenditure on some of them if you make up for deficiencies of some of these substances with regular water changes. Try it for a while and see.

Perform regular maintenance: It seems almost trite, but you'd be surprised how many of us simply run a piece of equipment until it breaks, and then replace or repair it- often with detrimental consequences to our reefs AND our pocketbooks! When the manufacturer "suggests" that you clean the impeller on a pump every three months, or to rinse out the UV sleeve , clean the probe, change the seal, or replace the pre filter- they are not just trying to generate "up sells." They are advising you that your pump, heater, reactor, or other reef toy will last longer, work better, and perform as expected when you take a little time to maintain it. Believe me, the ten minutes you'll spend taking apart tat internal pump for a cleaning will more than pay off in extended service life and trouble free operation. Things never break when it's convenient, and further, breakdowns always occur at inopportune moments. So what not hedge against them worth regular, routine maintenance? And, don't forget that systems like RO/DI units require replacement of media in order to provide the quality of water that we crave. Besides, these units often waste a lot of water in the process, so maintaining them helps conserve precious water..yet another plus from doing regular maintenance!

Dirty-VorTech-MP10w-ES.jpg

..and they work even better when they're CLEAN!

Buy stuff in bulk: Yes, it can be extremely advantages to purchase larger quantities of stuff like "generic" calcium hydroxide, activated carbon, and GFO. Places like Bulk Reef Supply and The Filter Guys are awesome businesses that have super variety and great prices on a lot of the stuff that us reefers use regularly. And the nice thing is that you can go in on a larger order ith a bunch of reefing buddies and really save! Buying in bulk has many advantages, and it's great to have stuff on hand BEFORE you need it. The savings in not only money, but TIME- time spent on running around looking for stuff when you need it- is significant, so don't overlook these "Aquatic Costcos" for value, selection, service, and convenience!

Carbon_Pile__79968.jpg

The aquatic equivalent of a one gallon jar of pasta sauce. Eat your heart out, Costco!

Grow your own: Huh? Yeah, you heard me. If you want more corals, why not set up a little frag tank and work the trading angle with local reefers and stores? Trading corals is a time honored tradition in reef keeping, which gave birth not only to stupid coral names, but to the beloved institution of the "frag swap", which has benefitted the hobby in ways only dreamed of a few decades ago. Trading with fellow hobbyists is not only economical- it's one of the most sustainable, environmentally sound reef keeping practices that we can engage in. Every coral traded and exchanged within the hobby is one less coral that will have to be pulled off of the wild reefs. The impact is real, long-lasting, and beneficial. Besides, frag swaps are a gray way to meet like-mired reef geeks like yourself, and can lead to rich, lasting friendships that make the hobby- and your life- that much more enjoyable.

IMG_0731.jpg

You see frags..We see money-saving opportunity!

Hone your photoperiod: There is no dispute that lighting your reef is one of the most important aspects of coral husbandry. There is endless debate about the merits of such-and-such system, bulb, emitter, lens, etc. One thing that all lighting systems have in common is that they consume electricity. Granted, some are more efficient than others, but they all require electricity that costs us hard-earned money. I'm not going to get into the debate about which format is best, or analyze break-even costs of acquiring and using various systems. I will proffer that we as hobbyists need to horn our skills and observations to run our lighting systems at optimum efficiency and for photoperiods that make sense for both our reef inhabitants and our own viewing schedules.

I mean, what's the point in running your lights for hours during the early morning when you're not around, and only grabbing an hour or so of enjoyment before the lights go out after you get home from work? I implore you to not only reduce your photoperiod to the number of hours that your corals will actually need (this will take a lot of trial and error, I admit), but to adjust your lighting cycles to maximize being on during hours that you're home to enjoy them. After all, what's the point of keeping a reef and going through all the trouble if your lights are on all day when no one is home, and shutting down as you settle in for the evening? Boo! Besides, in many cities during certain times of the year (i.e.; summer), electricity is more expensive during certain daytime hours, when everyone is using more power. Check with your local electrical provider for more details. Just a thought.

transformers1.jpg

Taking advantage of "off peak" electrical consumption hours can save you money when running your reef!

Design for efficiency: You've heard me talk about creating simple, well-thought-out reef systems, with a minimum of superfluous techno-props and pumps. By studying concepts like gyre flow, selected automation, and staggered lighting, you can realize real savings in operating costs on your reef. Let's face it- you may find that, despite the fact that your designated "reef area" can accommodate a 500 gallon monster tank, your budget might not. Remember, big reefs require- well, big systems to run them! Sure, you can design for efficiency and minimize the number of pumps, gadgets etc., but the whole point of the game is to create a simple, effective system that will keep your livestock healthy over time.

The other oft-overlooked "expense" associated with reef keeping is time. Yup- YOUR time spent maintaining and working on the reef, which might best be spent enjoying it instead. Or better yet, enjoying time with your family. Think about this when you design your next system. It doesn't have to be a monster. It should be something that you enjoy, can easily and economically maintain, and which enhances your lifestyle, not compromises it. When you have to go out of town and it becomes a big, complicated mess to leave your system in the hands of someone else for a week, you'll know what i mean. Think long and hard when designing that new system, not only about how your reef will look and feel, but about how it's operation will impact your life!

Okay, I could go on and on and on...But I think I've given you a few ideas to run with. No doubt you have many, many more than I could cover here. So...your fellow reefers are counting on you to share some of your ideas, innovations, and thoughts on ways to save money in this great hobby of ours.

Remember, reef keeping is supposed to be fun, not burdensome, so never lose sight of that. Don't be cheap- be smart.

Be efficient, engaged, and stoked about our awesome hobby. And most of all..

Stay Wet

Scott Fellman
Unique Corals

fishcakes8.jpg

Dirty-VorTech-MP10w-ES.jpg

Carbon_Pile__79968.jpg

IMG_0731.jpg

transformers1.jpg

Last edited:

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found that people new to the hobby are often sucked into buying way too many products and then comes the inevitable comment "This hobby is sooooo expensive!" In reality, a basic smaller system shouldn't send anyone to the poor house if they understand what is really needed to have a successful reef and ignore most of the product hype.

Also on that list could be not using filter media when it's not needed and, if really needed to remedy an issue, not using the whole box/bag all at one time. Often a smaller amount can be used which promotes stability by not stripping the water so quickly of nutrients...as well as being easier on the wallet.

As soon as a small colony of coral develops I frag a section and place it somewhere else in the tank. Not only does this fill up space economically, but it helps to ensure that if one colony is killed due to an accident or coral warfare, the coral type is not lost.

Last edited:
OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found that people new to the hobby are often sucked into buying way too many products and then comes the inevitable comment "This hobby is sooooo expensive!" In reality, a basic smaller system shouldn't send anyone to the poor house if they understand what is really needed to have a successful reef and ignore most of the product hype.

Also on that list could be not using filter media when it's not needed and, if really needed to remedy an issue, not using the whole box/bag all at one time. Often a smaller amount can be used which promotes stability by not stripping the water so quickly of nutrients...as well as being easier on the wallet.

As soon as a small colony of coral develops I frag a section and place it somewhere else in the tank. Not only does this fill up space economically, but it helps to ensure that if one colony is killed due to an accident or coral warfare, the coral type is not lost.

Excellent point..It's not just WHAT you use, but HOW MUCH you use! Thanks for sharing...

-Scott

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Scott, you've got some great points here. You touch on photo period, and I'm wondering how long the ideal photo period is for coral growth and health. Also, what do you think about two photo periods in a day? For example, I'm able to watch my tank in the morning for a little while and then again in the evening...is it beneficial to turn the lights off for a few hours during the day?

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scott, you've got some great points here. You touch on photo period, and I'm wondering how long the ideal photo period is for coral growth and health. Also, what do you think about two photo periods in a day? For example, I'm able to watch my tank in the morning for a little while and then again in the evening...is it beneficial to turn the lights off for a few hours during the day?

I think ti's fought to arrive at the "ideal" photoperiod, because you can take into account ramping up and down light intensity during the day, etc...In the end, I think it might be more about hitting peak lighting intensities for a specified period of time..efficiencies and photoperiods require some tweaking for sure! Am against the idea of a split photoperiod...I am concerned about creating high levels of metabolic activity, then stifling it with darkness..then hitting it again...Seems pretty unnatural..Of course, the whole concept of a captive reef is "unnatural", but I think you know what I'm getting at here.

Thanks!

Scott

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hoping the strong external pump that came with this tank doesn't break the bank energy-wise...but at least the last lemon came with a super-awesome LED fixture!!

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think ti's fought to arrive at the "ideal" photoperiod, because you can take into account ramping up and down light intensity during the day, etc...In the end, I think it might be more about hitting peak lighting intensities for a specified period of time..efficiencies and photoperiods require some tweaking for sure! Am against the idea of a split photoperiod...I am concerned about creating high levels of metabolic activity, then stifling it with darkness..then hitting it again...Seems pretty unnatural..Of course, the whole concept of a captive reef is "unnatural", but I think you know what I'm getting at here.

Thanks!

Scott

Agree with you here. The way I look at it is that if the corals had developed on a planet with two suns that provided alternating light and dark periods within a day, then yes :)

Hitting high PAR for just a few hours is typically enough to stimulate coral pigment expression without overloading the coral's ability to deal with waste products from the zooanthellae's' photosynthesis derived by-products. The trick with most systems is proper coral placement so that the high peak PAR level is suitable for all corals when operating a typical mixed reef aquarium.

Ralph.

melev

Avid Hobbyist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running a staggered lighting period for about six years and love it. For those of you that want to know more about how it works, here's my write up: Reef Addicts - Staggered Lighting - why?

Scott, you've made a number of good points that everyone can benefit from. Thanks!

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running a staggered lighting period for about six years and love it. For those of you that want to know more about how it works, here's my write up: Reef Addicts - Staggered Lighting - why?

Scott, you've made a number of good points that everyone can benefit from. Thanks!

Awesome write up, Marc..Thanks for the link!

-Scott

chrisfraser05

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about not running the skimmer constantly? ;)

This is something I do, not for the energy side although it is an extra bonus.

I decided a whole ago to have my skimmer in from 6am till 14:00. The way I see it I spend all day feeding the tank, but alot of my filter feeders and corals eat at night.
I was skimming most of it out before midnight before I think.
So now the corals feed till 6am where it slowly starts reducing till the skimmer goes off and I start feeding again.

So far I have seen no difference in the amount or colour of skimmate, so in the 8 hours it takes out as much as the 24.

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

+1 my 5gal has always been a really healthy tank with good growth and colour and not a single item on/in that tank cost more than $30. I can't justify in dropping $2000 on lighting, $2000 on flow, $1500 on a skimmer. Spending $5500 and not even have the tank yet? That's ridiculous.

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is something I do, not for the energy side although it is an extra bonus.

I decided a whole ago to have my skimmer in from 6am till 14:00. The way I see it I spend all day feeding the tank, but alot of my filter feeders and corals eat at night.
I was skimming most of it out before midnight before I think.
So now the corals feed till 6am where it slowly starts reducing till the skimmer goes off and I start feeding again.

So far I have seen no difference in the amount or colour of skimmate, so in the 8 hours it takes out as much as the 24.

I may put our skimmer on a timer...but I'm still getting the hang of tuning it properly first! XDD

sk8ter20art

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leave your tank alone:
I see so many eager people to do this, do that, and so on that they make there tank unstable by doing to much tinkering. too many water frequent water changes, changing lights, changing equipment, changing foods, etc. they don't leave there tank alone long enough for it to balance out or worse they crash it or kill there corals.

Information overload:
the internet is so full of information these days. You have people that are just starting out (1st tank) and know more about dosing a tank than water chemistry basics. Some information should be put aside until you get the basics down. Overdosing is just as bad as not dosing, that is one thing most beginners dont realize or see when they read dosing articles. So buying dosing items that you are not ready for can save you money.

Spend wisely:
Dont buy cheap equipment off Amazon. do some research, read reviews, and spend wisely. If you buy a cheap item and it craps out in no-time then you didnt save money, you actually spent more once you replace it or get something better.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 116 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back