Sch 80 vs sch 40

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So is there a legitimate reason to use SCH 80 PVC other than it is grey and looks better under the tank?

Our tanks don't hit the pressure limits of either one, so I am just wondering if the extra cost of SCH-80 is worth it when it is just going to be inside a tank stand...

Chompers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
x2. Yeah, sch40 is an over kill to start with so there is no reason at all to use sch80. Sch80 is thicker walled, which means that it has a smaller diameter. It will flow less water.

And by saying that sch40 is an over kill, I don't mean to use sch20. Sch40 is the bare minimum that I would recommend for anything. Sch20 has egg shells for walls and it is a guarantee for future nightmares and heartaches.

Lytehouse

just havin' fun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some stunning tank builds with open stands (no doors or walls).

You can see the effort they take in orginization in making a clean looking sump/lighting/skimmer etc...

The sch80 looks really nice in these situations.

VIPReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also buy SCH40 gray pipe. Let me know if you need the link to a place that carries it.

HTH,
djfrankie

Teeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used all SCH80 in my build. Is it overkill.....yes. I just liked the fact it was stronger and thought it looks nicer.

_DSC0167.jpg

turfster26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only area that I think it mandatory is with bulkheads. I will not even consider a traditional sch40 black plastic bulkheads for returns and drains. It is worth the little extra cost imho to use sch80 for that application. All other apps I use flexible pvc and sch40 fittings.

HTH

Chompers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only area that I think it mandatory is with bulkheads. I will not even consider a traditional sch40 black plastic bulkheads...

I have a story for you. I was helping plumb a friends 15,000g tank and he had the black ones for us to use. I recommended going with the sch80's for just a few bucks more... He wouldn't do it.

It has 2" plumbing down the length of it (under it) and it is hanging by the bulkheads. We ended adding metal strapping for support because none of us liked the idea.

But in most applications, the associated stresses are sufficiently low for the use of black bulkhead fittings.

harlequinreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sched 80 is rated for higher pressure applications and is highly used in europe by plumbers. Sched 40 in the US is fine for plumbing almost any aquarium, just as long as it is plumbed RIGHT. Sch 80 Hayward bulkheads are a good idea to use on any large application.

kuyatwo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been awhile since i use onebut aren't schedule 80 bulkheads need a bigger hole cut out to fit.

If so if your holes are already cut you might be stuck with 40

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
cdness

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I had known about the SCH 80 bulkheads before I ordered the glass-holes 2" ABS one for the closed loop drain. Should I scrap the idea and go with the sch 80 or just use the 2" ABS and support the pipe? It will be just the bulkhead and a sch 80 true union valve before it goes to flex PVC. I know that union is heavy though so if I should go with sch 80 I will. Unfortunately I have the hole saws already too :(

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I use all class 200 drinking water pipe for my 1" plumbing it's super thin... The rest I use schedule 40... It doesn't really matter but 80 kills your flow... The 200 is egg shell thin but gives you awesome flow for 1".... Hth

pciscott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Schedule 40 is overkill and schedule 80 is overpriced, a can of krylon fusion paint can give any white install that clean look.

As far as bulkheads, schedule 80 is nice if your holes are cut for them , but most failures are do to fittings splitting that are threaded do to overtightening and they split. Only use slip fit bulkheads on the dry side and you should be fine. I also run a bead of silicone on the perimeter of the wet side flanged area after tightening on my closed loop plumbing.

Plastic threaded joints are a drip waiting to happen and I recommend glueing all your plumbing as much as possible, as the pressure from overtightening is what splits plastic and creates leaks. You can cut and install union if you need to repair.

One other thing to think about is 90 degree fittings restrict flow and add to head pressure so if you use 2 45 degree fittings for your turns they will flow more and add less head to your system.

DJ_in_WV

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would defiantly use sch80 bulkheads for anything over 1.5in as far as piping 40 is fine for any tank app. Just remember that there are two different types of fitting ones made for drain lines(about5/8 to 3/4 slipfit) and supply lines fittings ( 1 1/2 slip).

OP
OP
cdness

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the slip fitting bulkhead for the dry side. I wanted to be able to thread in my strainer for the wet side, but I totally agree that screw on fittings are an accident just waiting to happen.

I used silicone for my existing tank's closed loop too. I feel a bit safer knowing there is an additional seal there than just the rubber ring.

Should I get a SCH 40 ball valve and install my own union or do you think I'm safe just using the sch 80 true union I was given?

DJ, aren't those numbers swapped? The drains should be larger than the returns I thought...

Nanoreefbro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been looking at BRS, USplastics and I didn't see any gray SCH 40 valves only SCH 80 ones. If I used gray SCH 40 pipes would they fit into a SCH 80 ball valve?

WillKatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did my entire build. Tank room etc in sch 80 and I did it for no other reason than the bling factor. I am or was a pretty big car guy and for me I like everything under the hood to be shiny and impressive as well. I will say the valves seem to be much better but neceesary no. The sch 80 bulkheads are definitely way better thn the abs. Actually I am not aware of sch40 bulkheads made from PVC if there is someone please let me know. That's one mistake that was made on my tank nted it drilled for sch 80 but it was not. I'm terrified of the abs bulkheads failing.

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So is there a legitimate reason to use SCH 80 PVC other than it is grey and looks better under the tank?

Our tanks don't hit the pressure limits of either one, so I am just wondering if the extra cost of SCH-80 is worth it when it is just going to be inside a tank stand...
Nope. Plus the grey stuff will create more head pressure.

Back