School of Chromis?

colesjensen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 220 gallon and I am thinking of getting a school of them. How was your guys experience keeping them?

CoralNerd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They pick each other off...I've had luck with just having one to add a splash of blue

InkedReefLady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have 7 green chromis in our 180 gallon which will school. We originally had more, but like CoralNerd said, they can pick each other off. My suggestion is get them all at once at the same size and a few more than you planned on and let nature take its course. We've had ours for about 4 years. They are model citizens. May squabble with each other on occasion, but nothing bad.

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bet more Chromis are lost under hobbyist care than any other fish. With few exceptions they kill each other off until there's one or two left. I agree with CoralNerd. If you like the fish and color get one.

Tyreef2016

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've have had 4 in my 90 gallon for a year now. i feed them small pellets 2+ times a day. no signs off them picking each other off.. not sure if this comes further down the road? I've overall been super happy with mine. I guess it seems hit or miss.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On numerous occassions I've had schools of 8-12 individuals. I've found that high flow in the top 1/3rd of the tank and frequent feedings keep them from picking each other off. I had an autofeeder feed 2-3x a day when I was at work then feeding frozen a couple of times before lights out.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6 for 6 years was my longest run and only lost them due to equipment failure, have 5 in my 120g right now, no problems at all, love the chromis, I always keep a group, usually the first thing in my tank

KTownReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 8 of them in my 180 gallon with no issues. They school and I haven't seen any of them getting picked on unless they get to close to my clowns.

Cary Meredith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have fought with them, had 3 lost a few, had 6 lost a few, had got 8 and now down to 5, they like picking on the weakest link, so right now sitting at 5 with one usually off by himself mopping and feeling lonely. I think I am done with chromis but I think they are beautiful fish.

bobyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My school of 8 became a school of 1 over the course of a year or so

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well...this is a depressing thread. I planned on having 3 at some point down the line.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well...this is a depressing thread. I planned on having 3 at some point down the line.

I know way too many people keeping them long term w/out issues to assume it just won't work, and it still baffles me as to why so many have negative outcomes.
I know a number of people that keep them that don't post about it as to not go against the grain of these comments of them always picking each other off, but I'm just one of those that posts experiences regardless, and I often wonder how many people just parrot the negative info or did they get poorly shipped ones or sick ones(they are prone to uronema and mishandled often due to their cheap price)
I'm not sure what the common denominator is in keeping them successfully, as I said I always get them in one group, always small as I can find, pretty much always my first fish in tank as it's the cheapest way to make a new tank look full or worth watching.
I've probably had 5 different groupings long term, in both odd and even numbers, not once have I had difficulty keeping them, and I don't think I'm all that lucky or a fish whisperer or anything!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know way too many people keeping them long term w/out issues to assume it just won't work, and it still baffles me as to why so many have negative outcomes.
I know a number of people that keep them that don't post about it as to not go against the grain of these comments of them always picking each other off, but I'm just one of those that posts experiences regardless, and I often wonder how many people just parrot the negative info or did they get poorly shipped ones or sick ones(they are prone to uronema and mishandled often due to their cheap price)
I'm not sure what the common denominator is in keeping them successfully, as I said I always get them in one group, always small as I can find, pretty much always my first fish in tank as it's the cheapest way to make a new tank look full or worth watching.
I've probably had 5 different groupings long term, in both odd and even numbers, not once have I had difficulty keeping them, and I don't think I'm all that lucky or a fish whisperer or anything!
I agree. I've kept groups a few times and know others that have as well without issue.

Kmsutows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the same 3 since May. I got them pretty small and now one is the dominant one which chases the other two from time to time but so far so good. I have a feeling once they get older and sizes vary then the trouble comes

d-man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bought 40 today along with 20 other fish...
I just finished formalin dipping everything. They went into CP right after to battle any Uro, Velvet or ich if present
I'll dip them again in a week if I see any signs

Fingers crossed

OP
OP
colesjensen

colesjensen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bought 40 today along with 20 other fish...
I just finished formalin dipping everything. They went into CP right after to battle any Uro, Velvet or ich if present
I'll dip them again in a week if I see any signs

Fingers crossed

What size tank do you have?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 82.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back