Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper safe hands down. I've used cupramine for a long time, but after switching to coppersafe I was able to keep more sensitive fish longer and with less loss.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanna try something other than Cupramine. If you guys were gonna pick one based on effectiveness and success stories...which would it be? Coppersafe or Copper Power?

125mph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently using coppersafe because of the recommendations from this forum. Last week, treating my velvet case, I initially purchased cupramine because it's more well known and that's what my LFS offers... then did more research and ordered CopperSafe on amazon..

One thing I don't understsand is, why treatment chart thread shows that lots of fish such as Angels tolerate Chelated Copper better versus Ionic Copper? Isn't copper just copper in the end in terms of tolerance?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently using coppersafe because of the recommendations from this forum. Last week, treating my velvet case, I initially purchased cupramine because it's more well known and that's what my LFS offers... then did more research and ordered CopperSafe on amazon..

One thing I don't understsand is, why treatment chart thread shows that lots of fish such as Angels tolerate Chelated Copper better versus Ionic Copper? Isn't copper just copper in the end in terms of tolerance?
The chelating process combines the copper with another substance. This makes it less toxic which is why you need the higher dosage. The process is supposed to reduce the toxicity to fish more than it does to the parasites which is why it is considered safer to use for most species. It does seem like some fish species didn't do well in science so they refuse to follow this guidance. :confused:

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I don't find that angels are particularly sensitive to copper at all. I think that reputation was actually caused by a hypersensitivity to ammonia, something also found in quarantine tanks.

125mph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why wouldnt vet give you CP script? I just ordered mine on eBay.. hope it works!

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with Brightwell's ionic copper product, and couldn't keep fairy wrasses in it. Asked a LFS employee (a highly knowledgeable one!) about Cupramine, and was told that there are basically two kinds of copper - ionic and chelated - and that most of the differences between any two products in the same category are in the pictures and words printed on the outside of the bottle.

After losing the wrasses, I moved to Kordon's chelated copper product, but eventually discovered that it's watered down by almost 75% - that what the label says one bottle should do handily actually takes _three_and_a_half_bottles_! I'm now using CopperSafe with success (so far), and haven't tried CopperPower.

~Bruce

125mph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't know, too busy to talk with me.....eBay cp is all Chinese sourced, be careful
Well, this one is supposedly from "Fishman Chemicals", which is a big aquatic medicine company that supplies to large public aquariums ... incidentally, they got sued by texas aquarium for mislabeling one of their meds and whiped out the texas tanks lol.. you can google that

ThaBeast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well, this one is supposedly from "Fishman Chemicals", which is a big aquatic medicine company that supplies to large public aquariums ... incidentally, they got sued by texas aquarium for mislabeling one of their meds and whiped out the texas tanks lol.. you can google that

I believe fishman is Chinese sourced cp as well you may want to verify for yourself

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't yet. But some of the guys on my local forum swear by it for treating wrasses.

I'd like to give it a try. I just bought some Coppersafe though. I'll have to see if I like that over Cupramine. I've been using Cupramine for years.

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've have used all three with success, only issue I've had was loss of appetite with a leopard wrasse being treated with Cupramine. I've successfully treated a few fairies with Copper Safe without issue so I'll continue to with it. Never had an issue with Copper Power although I've only used it once.

I'll continue using Copper Safe.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back