fredjr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just picked up my Red Sea reefer 350!! Very excited, I bought it used. One year old and came with pump and heaters for 1k. Will need to replace the return plumbing because it was plumbed for an algae scrubber, also going to replace the heaters after the cycle. Other than needing a very deep cleaning it's perfect!!
IMG_7059.JPG
That's great. I have a 350 being delivered next week.

North Borders

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those who may be wondering. The return hose on the Nano and 170 is 5/8" ID. :) I just replaced mine with a silicone tube tonight.

Oakie12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I ordered the XL 425 and it's going to be delivered this Friday. I ordered from MD but I'm assuming all these get drop shipped by RedSea USA. I really wasn't expecting a call this soon and failed to ask what this monster will be showing up on. I'm hoping that if it shows up on a truck with a lift. I'm OK with is being curbside, I can deal with that. I'm not ok with them showing up to a residence and expecting a forklift to be onsite. Curious about how you all may have received yours.
Mine 350 showed up on the back of a pick up. Opened the display tank box and carried that in, then picked up the display tank and hauled it from my driveway, down the walkway, down 8 steps into my apartment.. it was pretty heavy for 2 guys. The hauled the cabinet box in seperate. 425xl will be a 2 to 3 man job.

Oakie12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine 350 showed up on the back of a pick up. Opened the display tank box and carried the sump in, then picked up the display tank and hauled it from my driveway, down the walkway, down 8 steps into my apartment.. it was pretty heavy for 2 guys. The hauled the cabinet box in seperate. 425xl will be a 2 to 3 man job.

Reefer525XL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine 350 showed up on the back of a pick up. Opened the display tank box and carried that in, then picked up the display tank and hauled it from my driveway, down the walkway, down 8 steps into my apartment.. it was pretty heavy for 2 guys. The hauled the cabinet box in seperate. 425xl will be a 2 to 3 man job.

I got my 525xl on my my stand and inside the house with just my dad and I. I have suction cups so that made the job easier.

ReeferDude916

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For anyone that might be interested, I've had a very small drip coming from my return pipe on my Reefer 170. When I set it up, I used plenty of Teflon tape but still had this annoying little drip. So today I decided to fix it once and for all. When I pulled the hose portion of the pipe out of the tube from the overflow the pipe had cracked around the circumference right underneath the rubber o-ring.

I decided to get radical with the fix. I went Home Depot and of course standard pvc fits this darn thing so I bought a piece of vinyl tubing (1 5/8" OD - 1 1/4" ID), they sell it in 2 foot pieces. I then pulled the tube out of the overflow and cut it just above the threads. I re-inserted the tube in the overflow and then I cut about a 2" piece of the vinyl tubing and soaked it good in some really hot water. It gets very pliable when heated. Then I put the half of the tubing on the down tube and secured it with a stainless steel clamp. Then I re-inserted the hose portion into the vinyl tubing and secured it with a clamp.

As the vinyl tubing cools, it creates a really nice seal. I probably don't even need the clamps, but I'm the kinda guy that wears suspenders and a belt. Anyway, hope this helps someone out there. I know I was freaking out trying to solve the problem because the darn pipe are weird sizes.

IMG_1052.jpg

IMG_0063.jpg

fredjr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For anyone that might be interested, I've had a very small drip coming from my return pipe on my Reefer 170. When I set it up, I used plenty of Teflon tape but still had this annoying little drip. So today I decided to fix it once and for all. When I pulled the hose portion of the pipe out of the tube from the overflow the pipe had cracked around the circumference right underneath the rubber o-ring.

I decided to get radical with the fix. I went Home Depot and of course standard pvc fits this darn thing so I bought a piece of vinyl tubing (1 5/8" OD - 1 1/4" ID), they sell it in 2 foot pieces. I then pulled the tube out of the overflow and cut it just above the threads. I re-inserted the tube in the overflow and then I cut about a 2" piece of the vinyl tubing and soaked it good in some really hot water. It gets very pliable when heated. Then I put the half of the tubing on the down tube and secured it with a stainless steel clamp. Then I re-inserted the hose portion into the vinyl tubing and secured it with a clamp.

As the vinyl tubing cools, it creates a really nice seal. I probably don't even need the clamps, but I'm the kinda guy that wears suspenders and a belt. Anyway, hope this helps someone out there. I know I was freaking out trying to solve the problem because the darn pipe are weird sizes.

IMG_1052.jpg

IMG_0063.jpg
Man sounds like a lot of work. Did you call Red Sea? I know they have upgrade plumbing. How old is your setup?

becks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For anyone that might be interested, I've had a very small drip coming from my return pipe on my Reefer 170. When I set it up, I used plenty of Teflon tape but still had this annoying little drip.

Your not suppose to use ptfe tape on plastic pipe as it can cause it to crack/split. i would not be surprised if that was the cause of the leak in the first place.

ReeferDude916

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is about a year and half and I certainly could've called Red Sea. But it was Friday afternoon and the part certainly wouldn't have shipped until at least Monday, so it would've been late next week before I had a part. I couldn't risk the tank that long. I'm sure the cause was not the tape but the cheap thin-wall pipe they use. I love the tank but cheap, non-standard sizes are frustrating. Should be able to go to local hardware store to fix a problem.

Jackooze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any benefit to having a spear gate valve between the reactors and the Red Sea return fitting? I notice a few people here having that type of setup. The only reason I can think of is when doing maintenance you can close that gate and prevent water from the DT going into the sump.

tdyrkacz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a top from artfully acrylic I believe. I have one on my 250 as well and think they're really nice. Worth the money for me

I bought one once for my 93 gallon. It is beautiful but over time the edges began to lift up and it is no longer straight. I got mine from tanktoppers. Does your top on the 250 have this problem? How old is the top?

Thanks.

Ishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you bee running it ?
Sucks. Their all sold out.
Only about three weeks, we have no socks and no black bubble trap to clean, I can't tell you how happy it makes me. Next job is an SK 15 on our 525XL.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back