Silicone eating worm?

rcmike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I was feeding the the baby clownfish when my son came down into the basement and stepped in a wet spot next to the 75 gal. tank. We found a little hole below the level of the sand. It was a perfect hole that looked almost like it was drilled in it. We drained it and move the inhabitants into the other tanks and I got to searching and found several mentions of worms eating through silicone seams. Most of the mentions were from Australia for some reason. This hole definitely looks like it was eaten through by something. The seam is perfect besides the hole. On the inside it goes through the silicone bead with a perfect circle, not between the silicone and the glass. I bought the tank used and I inspected the seams and didn't see any bubbles or signs of problems before I set it up.
I have attempted a fix by cleaning out the hole by squirting acetone in it and blowing it out with air. I then filled a syringe with silicone and forced it through the hole. I also put a bead on the inside in the area of the hole. After filling the hole there are no bubbles and you can barely see it.
1471121832546.jpg

OP
OP
rcmike

rcmike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For some reason the picture is rotated 90 degrees.

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
[HASHTAG]#reefsquad[/HASHTAG] going to need more eyes on this one. Ive had limpets push aside silicone like this before, but not completely throught

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a new one for me also.

OP
OP
rcmike

rcmike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I'm not saying that is what caused it but it seems that some people have had them or think they have.

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a worm eating through the silicone of one of my tanks back in Germany. I caught it and it was a scary beast with 3 needle sharp teeth. It actually bit me seriously (hurt like hell and bled) when I caught it.

Here a picture I found on the web of the kind of worm that munched its way through my tank's silicone:
wormfang.jpg

Back then we got lots of fresh live rock from Indonesia and Singapore and those were full with all kinds of "interesting" hitchhikers - from crabs and pistol shrimp over coral to predatory worms.

mixer911

Make them green with envy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes @rcmike I had that same thing happen a few years ago. They do exist, just haven't physically seen one yet.

MaccaPopEye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The guy I bought my chiller off has had to tear down at least 2 tanks because of them! He got out of the hobby for a little while but is just starting to get back in. If you want to read a bit about his experiences then from memory in this thread he talks about it a little towards the end http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1529412

Edit - highly recommend reading that thread anyway just for the pics. Some very awesome ones in there. Unfortunately the area is not quite as amazing anymore, but it is still nice to go out there for a look at low tides :)

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back