Sixline Wrasse?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are usually fine when small, but grow into aggressive adults.

cginter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My buddy has one and it's a nice fish, the one I had... Let's just say it's no longer in my tank [emoji119][emoji120]

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must be the odd man out because I have always had a sixline and never had any problems with them.

I have probably had around 6 of this Fish in Various Tanks throughout the Years.

And every one of them was Perfect.

This "They are the Devil" thing is Crap!

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience with them is about the same as any other territorial fish. There are certain other fish (shapes/colors/personalities) that likely won't do well with an aggressive six line such as Royal Grammas, fairy/flasher wrasses. Other fish can be kept with a six line with no problem like clowns, tangs, damsels etc. There are fish that can hold their own with aggressive fish and some that won't do well at all. My six line beat up a mandarin and chased my gramma constantly unless it hid behind the overflow. I moved it to a smaller tank with clowns and damsels and it never caused another problem.

If a sixline finds a fish it doesn't care for it's not going to leave it alone until either you rarely/never see it or it's dead. They are great aquarium fish if you can find the right combo of fish that can live with it. I wish I still had mine. It would fan it's fins out and do a dance along the glass when I would view the tank.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 6 line years back and he was fine in a 75 gallon and it was a model citizen.

Calmbeast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a six line in a 50 w a royal gramma basslet 2 black white clowns, bi color blennie and the six line is the least aggressive. Loves to swim in and out of crevices all day.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I had one years ago and it was the smallest fish in the tank and it did get a little aggressive.
Everything I've read about them makes me want to stay away from them, especially with other small fish.

saltyphish

Certified Sand Groomer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a sixline with 2 clowns, a midas blenny , and a green clown goby and have no problems. He was the last fish added though, which I hear is very important when adding a sixline. I hear any fish added after will not make it but have not tried since my sixline is the last fish to go into my tank.

jeffp1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a adult 6 Line with a Clown, Mandarin, Gramma and Watchman Goby. Gets along good with all. The only thing it didn't get along with was a peppermint shrimp.

OP
OP
NanaReefer

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current fish are Royal Gramma, Bi-Colored Blenny, Banggai Cardinal and a Yellow Watchman. All but the Watchman have been in the tank for 10 months.
Quite the differences in experiences with this fish.

RavenSF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A six line terrified my poor firefish. There are way nicer wrasses out there that look better and eat pests.

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current fish are Royal Gramma, Bi-Colored Blenny, Banggai Cardinal and a Yellow Watchman. All but the Watchman have been in the tank for 10 months.
Quite the differences in experiences with this fish.

It would be tough with that fish list especially the gramma. I would give it a try if it's the fish you want but be prepared to remove it again if it caused problems. If you won't be able to remove the fish I'd be hesitant to add a sixline. I agree though there are other nice wrasses you could add and likely not take much if any risk with your other fish.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine were always terrors. Never again.

However, I do think that like the Sohal tang, people just reiterate other people's stories without any real experience and then what was one person's actual experience is reiterated and reinforced by 20 more people.

Not saying Sohal aren't aggressive, they can be, but they're not the devil. Ime and IMO purple tangs, some PBT, and other tangs are just as bad or worse.

My sixline always bullied my dottybacks when I used to keep both. They left my melanarus wrasses but the melanarus were first and much larger. I've also not been able to keep them for longer than a year. Not sure why, when they died I didn't care at all though. Many fish I would rather have. Mysteri would be my choice if I was shopping in that genus again.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back