OP
skinz78

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just dropped by to say hello :) remember the german blue branching monti that i got from you cuz it was brown etc? It is now 5 montis :) Got 3 2in frags and here are the 2 pieces of the original frag. Saving one in your name if you'd like :)
(Hope these pics don't come out sideways)

1444500569876.jpg

1444500590079.jpg

Looking good Jackie, I actually still have that one!

trido

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Brad, all is good, I'm actually planning on some big tank changes this week, pic's to come!
Thats kind of cryptic.......Whats going on? Also, I have some corals with your name on them. When our temps get above freezing in the near future I need to get them in the mail for you.

OP
OP
skinz78

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha well my Black Friday purchases came today!

I ordered from Bulk Reef and took the plunge and got a Trigger Systems sump, replacemet RODI filters, and a bucket o salt. New filters are in now and I'm hoping to get the sump installed this weekend if I can get it through the doors of the stand... IF not, I guess I'll be emptying the tank to put it in....

I also got a surface skimmer box off of Ebay for my overflow so I'll have to drain the tank at least 1/2 way to install that and then let the silicone dry...

OP
OP
skinz78

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats kind of cryptic.......Whats going on? Also, I have some corals with your name on them. When our temps get above freezing in the near future I need to get them in the mail for you.

Sweet Duane, I'm looking forward to it! Might even have to just make a day trip and come see you and Todd.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about removing all the coral off the rocks and putting them in the frag tank then brushing down the rock and soaking them overnight in a heavy hydrogen peroxide solution with a final rodi rinse? 3 tanks ago mine was like yours with the algae (due to a dumb move). But that along with hydrogen peroxide dosing and a great cuc killed it and it never came back.

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with Jackie. H2o2 dosing wiped mine out (HA),but I also had to remove the sand too. The sand had too much waste in it. Best trick against HA. Good luck Chris, you'll pull through this

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, my dumb move was that I just got back in the hobby after being away for many years and doing some very old school things that I shouldn't have. 1) I used crushed coral instead of sand which harbored detritis/NO3. 2) No rodi water. Way back when we didn't have rodi units. Although I know Chris' cause was neither, I think maybe what did cause it soaked into the rock and sb. I agree about doing a fresh sb or go bb. Definitely do H2O2.

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, my dumb move was that I just got back in the hobby after being away for many years and doing some very old school things that I shouldn't have. 1) I used crushed coral instead of sand which harbored detritis/NO3. 2) No rodi water. Way back when we didn't have rodi units. Although I know Chris' cause was neither, I think maybe what did cause it soaked into the rock and sb. I agree about doing a fresh sb or go bb. Definitely do H2O2.
Or getting a ton if clams to eat that nitrate, lol.

Hawain_Rob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
go get that drained ASAP, just had a nasty cat bite on my fingers, reason why my new 75g is not being transferred into also. A hurt finger is better then no finger!

Heres my war wound

That why I don't trust cats..lol. they can be a holes.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clams won't live in there for some reason. I've given up on them.
Could you have had old sandbed syndrome to effect the clams? I can't keep clams for any length of time no matter how much I love them. But you did for quite some time. Must've been a reason they kicked it and I would think maybe the same reason you have the algae issue. Seems to me the timing was about the same

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I sound like a broken record on this topic but most common pin cushion/tuxedo urchins will move that down, as will Chitons and Abalone. You can get the Urchins from ORA via LA as well at the Abalone. Reefclearners.org has Chitons.

OP
OP
skinz78

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you have had old sandbed syndrome to effect the clams? I can't keep clams for any length of time no matter how much I love them. But you did for quite some time. Must've been a reason they kicked it and I would think maybe the same reason you have the algae issue. Seems to me the timing was about the same

I can't even keep them alive in my 40g reef

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back