Smell problem

Muhammed

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently started to dose Red Sea nitrate and phosphate reducer and because I started I took my dual reactor off because I was not in need of gfo and my whole basement is smelling not like rotten eggs but there is definitely a stronger humid smell if that make sense. My filter socks are more dirty and has a black color to it. The Red Sea product is working very well though. I order a carbon reactor and I'm waiting for it come. Do you guys thinks carbon reactor can reduce the smell because I took it off from the dual reactor because gfo was attached.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were you running bio pellets they have that sulfur smell if left un attended to.
If you took ur reactor offline and left them in the reactor that could be your culprit

OP
OP
Muhammed

Muhammed

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was not running pellets well I was for a day but I didint like it. I took the reacter of line and it's emptied fully.

oneilwiz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
having the same problem. I added some nopox, now my tank is cloudy but smells horrible for the past three days

OP
OP
Muhammed

Muhammed

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine slowly started to not smell every now and then the smell will come back. I also brought a carbon pad and put it over my skimmer because after dosing nopox the skimmate is much darker. My filter socks get clogged up quicker too. As far as the cloudiness I think maybe you started to dose to much take it slow it will soon go away

wkscott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently started to dose Red Sea nitrate and phosphate reducer and because I started I took my dual reactor off because I was not in need of gfo and my whole basement is smelling not like rotten eggs but there is definitely a stronger humid smell if that make sense. My filter socks are more dirty and has a black color to it. The Red Sea product is working very well though. I order a carbon reactor and I'm waiting for it come. Do you guys thinks carbon reactor can reduce the smell because I took it off from the dual reactor because gfo was attached.
I am guessing that you have the dual reactor from BRS. If so, remove the GFO from one chamber and put carbon in BOTH reactors. This will greatly reduce the odor and possibly some of the cloudiness.

Richards_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a protein skimmer? Whenever my tank gets an oder I usually run carbon for a week and it seems to help.

warmitupchriss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had this going on in my son's 20 gallon nano. A little carbon solved the problem.

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rotten egg smell comes from hydrogen sulphide gas which could harm fish if it's mixing with water.
Black in filter seems like real low oxygen levels which could be due to pour/ very slow flow from somewhere in your system. Not sur if NoPOX is reason for that but carbon can take out a lot of stuff from water so give it a try.
Try putting air stone in sump and increase flow.

oneilwiz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you guys I do have a skimmer running wet skimming, the stuff from the skim waste is black I also already have power head full blast in the Sump. I have a Vectra M1 running high flow. I
330ee9b87a2dc36c03f9a00c31c150fd.jpg

Richards_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't had your experience yet but from what I read is you basically super fueled your bacteria. So from what I've read, it's suggested to lower the dose of nopox and letting the bacterial cultures come to an equilibrium. What are your nitrates at, How much carbon are you using, and what's the size of your tank/system?

oneilwiz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Richards_reef I have a 75 G with. 30 gallon sump. I have reduced the smell tremendously what I did late last night was to replace 36G, took out the Chemipure Blue turns out it has GFO. I also siphon a great deal of detritus from the sand bed. The smell I was getting and the black skim mate was found in the Sand bed.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 37 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back