So.. Marineland tanks. Should I?

Michael43

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a great offer for a Marineland 220 brand new from my LFS. I wanted something a little more higher and but also didn't want to wait for a custom build. Any major reasons not to do it? Leaks? Blow outs? Etc? Only thing to me is I don't like the overflow positions and sizes but I guess I can make do for $1500 brand new with stand!!

jeremy.gosnell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marineland has been making aquariums for a long time. They are a large producer of everything from hobbyist grade aquariums on up to commercial live seafood displays. The main advantage to a marineland product, IMHO, is the price. If just a standard tank, it's most likely the system uses standard glass (you could ask if it uses starphire glass on the front) panel, and the most basic features offered. I would say most marineland tanks are the Ford Taurus's of the aquarium world. However, if you're just looking for something cheap and simple, it will probably do the trick. Most Marineland tanks I've seen have cheap plastic bracing around the top edge and use basic overflow systems. I have seen the bracing break and snap on several marineland tanks. Personally, if you're looking for a non-custom, mass produced aquarium, Deep Blue's offerings are a bit nicer, IMHO, for about the same money. They put starphire glass on the front panel of their larger tanks and have a higher quality stand and bracing materials. I have a Deep Blue 90 Cube and 120 gallon that I use as QT tanks. A marineland tank isn't something that I would buy for use as a display, but all of my display tanks I designed myself, drew up the specifications for and had custom built by an acrylic shop that specializes in aquariums. You could probably get a few marineland tanks for the cost of a custom built aquarium.

cowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I wouldn't go for anything thing bigger than a 125 from Marineland. The failure rate as of late in the larger tanks has been crazy.

OP
OP
Michael43

Michael43

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this doesn't sound all that promising. I have looked at deep blue tanks and was going to plumb one of there frag tanks to the Marineland. I'd get a deep blue but they don't make anything over 48" and my current display is 59" so I'm trying to get bigger than that. Hmm... Not sure what to do. I could go to planet aquarium who has a very reasonable price for a euro braced tank but there 10-12 week lead time. I have an opportunity for a used Dsa 215 but not sure how I feel about it

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I wouldn't go for anything thing bigger than a 125 from Marineland. The failure rate as of late in the larger tanks has been crazy.

I completely disagree.

MarineLand sales thousands of tanks and the failure rate isn't any higher that other manufactures. You hear more about their failures because they sale far more than any other. Most failures are due to improper transport and installation anyway.

Get the Marineland, you don't have to spend a fortune for a Reef Savy to have a nice large aquarium.

Get a proper stand, transport, and install it correctly.

Zoacoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this doesn't sound all that promising. I have looked at deep blue tanks and was going to plumb one of there frag tanks to the Marineland. I'd get a deep blue but they don't make anything over 48" and my current display is 59" so I'm trying to get bigger than that. Hmm... Not sure what to do. I could go to planet aquarium who has a very reasonable price for a euro braced tank but there 10-12 week lead time. I have an opportunity for a used Dsa 215 but not sure how I feel about it

Planet aquariums normally always get you your aquarium well above the time your quoted

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marineland has been making aquariums for a long time. They are a large producer of everything from hobbyist grade aquariums on up to commercial live seafood displays. The main advantage to a marineland product, IMHO, is the price. If just a standard tank, it's most likely the system uses standard glass (you could ask if it uses starphire glass on the front) panel, and the most basic features offered. I would say most marineland tanks are the Ford Taurus's of the aquarium world. However, if you're just looking for something cheap and simple, it will probably do the trick. Most Marineland tanks I've seen have cheap plastic bracing around the top edge and use basic overflow systems. I have seen the bracing break and snap on several marineland tanks. Personally, if you're looking for a non-custom, mass produced aquarium, Deep Blue's offerings are a bit nicer, IMHO, for about the same money. They put starphire glass on the front panel of their larger tanks and have a higher quality stand and bracing materials. I have a Deep Blue 90 Cube and 120 gallon that I use as QT tanks. A marineland tank isn't something that I would buy for use as a display, but all of my display tanks I designed myself, drew up the specifications for and had custom built by an acrylic shop that specializes in aquariums. You could probably get a few marineland tanks for the cost of a custom built aquarium.

I agree except why can't it be a good display? You can get the ultra clear glass, and the cost savings can go to equipment.

MRRBW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't comment on marineland failures, but I had briefly a 93g cube of theirs. It was used in a lfs for 2 years and was in great shape. I hear that the larger ones are more prone to failure. I can say for sure the glass used on the cube was not starphire, but was still pretty clear. That said, I got rid of it before setting it up because something stuck with me that several people have said here and what some local guys have said and is as follows: better to pass on a "good deal" and get the tank you want to have and keep as your display. Often too many people accept something they don't really want with xyz justifying their decision but end up being unhappy with that tank months later. I had convinced myself that the cube was going to be great, and it probably would have, but the stand was not what I wanted, nor were the dimensions, but it did satisfy my budget big time. That said, if there are any reasons why you should not be happy with a particular tank, ie the overflows or questionable quality, perhaps it's better to wait and get what you truly want for a display. This may mean going custom and waiting, which is the route I have gone in finally after months of back and forth inner turmoil, or getting the Marineland. But be sure that you will be happy with your decision long term and not just "make do".

Tyreef2016

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a 90 from marine land for my first decent sized tank besides my bio-cube. Overall I'm happy with it. Its just a basic reef ready tank. I Would just suggest getting what works for your needs and something you'll be happy with. like you said overflows things like that. Money also comes into play like others have said.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems most of the failures are when you "custom" order a tank from Marineland than the standard production ones.

OP
OP
Michael43

Michael43

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate all the input guys. Maybe I'll hang tight. What about a Dsa used tank? It's got great dimension. 72x27x27

cginter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1474927531.935506.jpg
. I like my marine land 180g. The only thing I DO NOT like are the corner overflows. I don't feel like they're efficient enough. When and if I ever have to rebuild I'll be taking out the overflows ad drilling the back

Hammer100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard a lot of failures were due to running metal halides over them for years and the bracing gets brittle and cracks....Not sure how many though

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard a lot of failures were due to running metal halides over them for years and the bracing gets brittle and cracks....Not sure how many though

Possible if not protected getting direct light for many many years, but the same could happen to any aquarium with plastic bracing.

OP, you don't have to spend top dollar for a tank. A new Marineland tank will last decades of taken care of. I have a 20 year old 120 Marineland and it look nearly new. I can not understand why anything else than a custom made 5,000$ aquarium is trash. Make no sense. OP, there is nothing wrong with buying a new large Marineland tank.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new 180 by the way

Are you really concerned about possible failure? Sure! We all should be. But that doesn't mean you have to spend three times as much just to be able to sleep at night.

cginter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The company wouldn't be around if there aquariums failed majority of the time. I wouldn't worry if your not going anything over 220

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back