Some early thoughts on the AP700 launch

Defective_Weeble

Salty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that the AP700 has been in the hands of hobbyists for a few days, we're starting to see the think pieces come out. The latest, and the one that prompted this writing, is from Jeremy Gosnell of reefs.com, which you can read here.

As a former owner of three A360we lights, I've been a fan of the look and performance of Kessil lights for quite some time. That said, I have never thought that they were the "best" LED lighting option on the market. In my opinion, that title still belongs to the Radion Pro. I bought the Kessil lights because I preferred the look and they met the budget constraints that I set for myself.

I can tell you from my own experience that the hatred that gets tossed at Kessil is largely unwarranted. Those who will decry the light's "inability" to grow and color SPS have either not used them or simply had bad planning or husbandry. In my 180 gallon reef, I did nothing but change the water. With proper rock placement to avoid the shadowing pitfalls of point-source lighting, I saw absolutely stellar growth and coloration, turning small frags into modest colonies in short order.

But back to the subject at hand...

On the subject of AP700 performance, Gosnell states that the "AP700 will light a 48” x 24” reef, but coral health will remain in-tact only if the species kept are soft and low light LPS corals.". However, he does so after claiming that the AP700 is "essentially two Kessil A360W lights packed into one fixture." If that's the case, then I can tell you from first-hand experience that the AP700 will perform excellently on a 48x24, SPS-dominant reef because that's exactly what I ran with two 360we models lights until just a few days ago.

But that's not to say that Kessil's launch of the AP700 has been flawless. Far from it, in fact. There are many missteps. Given that I actually own the light, unlike many who are writing about it, I thought that I would talk about those missteps here and open a forum for intelligent discussion rather than dagger throwing.

Pricing

Gosnell's price-per-puck standard that he sets in the reefs.com article is foolish. The BRS launch video on the Kessil 360 attempted to focus on price-per-LED. I think that's a stronger argument, but still doesn't tell the right story.

The fact is, a "puck" could be two LEDs. Or it could be 500 LEDs. But what quality are the LEDs that make up the puck? If we're going by puck count, it's an invalidated argument simple because there's no standard set that says that a puck is X number of individual LEDs. If we're going by number of LEDs then Orphek fixtures would look like a bargain.

That said, Kessil's choice to price the AP700 at $849, a full $100 more than the industry-leading Radion Pro, is baffling. The value simply hasn't been built enough to justify the price point, no matter how lovely and heartwarming The Envelope video may have been.

The worst thing that a manufacturer can do is compete on price alone. The second worst thing that a manufacturer can do is not compete on price at all.

Mounting Options

The second, massive misstep in my opinion is the lack of good mounting options for the AP700. But this has been Kessil's method in the past as well. While the gooseneck and 90-degree adapter leave a nice looking mounting option for the 360, there is no cord management and the overall look is still messy.

Kessil is promising a rails system, for tanks where the light can sit lower. There's also a bracket system promised, for tanks where the light needs to be higher (tanks over 36 inches). Both of these should have been available at launch, rather than forcing those of us who don't have a canopy to drill into our ceilings or walls.

Software

I've worked in technology for quite a few years, and my background is in product marketing. To release a light that can only be controlled by a single device is foolish. But if you're going to do so, then it needs to be the most widely-used device. That being the case, Kessil should have launched the AP700 with software for iPhone or Android phones. Instead, as of today we only have software for the iPad.

If Gosnell's assertion that the price premium for the AP700 is tied to the control software, then this misstep is even more grave than it might seem at first. It's danged near suicidal, in fact, considering that Kessil's own words tell me that they "do not need a beta tester yet" for the iPhone application. That means that the development of the app is significantly further behind than what most of us would like to believe.

In Summary

Yes, Kessil did some things wrong. At least in my opinion. So then why did I still buy one? The biggest reason is that the majority of the purchase price was offset by selling my 360s. If I was starting from zero, I'd have a really hard time justifying the price on the AP700.

As a customer, I'm infuriated by the lack of programming software and not having a good mounting option. But I'm also incredibly happy with what I've seen from the light in the short time that I've owned it. Whatever the differences in the pucks between this and the 360we, my corals are responding better to this light. Maybe it's optics, maybe it's different LEDs in the puck or maybe it's something else entirely. I don't yet know. All I know is what I can see, and that is a light that I love the look of, while my corals seem to enjoy it as well.

Mr. Brooks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dig the pros and cons approach to your write up.

I was debating between the AP700 and the Radion to pair with some 250 watt Radium halides over my display tank. I went with Radion mainly because of the long track record. I'll be watching closely to see how the AP700 performs over the next few months/years.

I own two Kessil 350's and and a 360. Very nice light. I love the visual appearance of the light inside the tank. However, I don't like the daisy chain wires and I don't like the inability to control the true UV diodes independently from the other diodes. I eventually came to the conclusion that there are more powerful lights out there that might be a little better suited as standalone lights for SPS corals. It was tough to decide between what's best for the corals and what's best for my eyes. I'm using the Kessils over coral QT tanks and they keep things alive just fine. I've noticed some growth on a damaged Setosa that was previously under Radions. Some chalices that were also under Radions have lost their florescent luster under the Kessils. But that could easily be attributed to the change in water chemistry/environment.

At first I was not digging the pink/purple look of the Radions. Now that I've had time to play with the colors I'm very happy with them. I can already tell that the Radions are FAR more powerful than the Kessil 350's and 360.

If the AP700 can match the intensity of a Radion at 75%, I think they'll really have something. The software issues will get worked out eventually.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Defective_Weeble

Defective_Weeble

Salty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, to the claim of the AP700 being two 360s in a single form factor, I'd like to present this:

9W5btiB.png

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was a good review. I have to agree that software issues at launch is never a good thing. Its better to admit the product is not ready and hold its release to fix the issues. I will be interested to see how the fixes are sent out to correct the software issues. My new tanks are going to need some heavy lighting and the AP700 is on the list of potential lights but I will not be ready for lighting for several months. Please update us when software patches are rolled out.

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On price compared to the Radions, what is the coverage area of one Radion? The kessil can cover a 48x24 area which is a very large area for one light, if you would need two Radions to cover the same area, then its would be cheaper to go with the AP700. That being said, $900 for a single light is crazy and will prevent it from ever really becoming mainstream. The other thing that I dislike is just how many color customization options there are, it would be almost too easy to have poor coral health solely due how you tweaked the light. I think preset "plug and play" options are almost better.

OP
OP
Defective_Weeble

Defective_Weeble

Salty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On price compared to the Radions, what is the coverage area of one Radion? The kessil can cover a 48x24 area which is a very large area for one light, if you would need two Radions to cover the same area, then its would be cheaper to go with the AP700. That being said, $900 for a single light is crazy and will prevent it from ever really becoming mainstream. The other thing that I dislike is just how many color customization options there are, it would be almost too easy to have poor coral health solely due how you tweaked the light. I think preset "plug and play" options are almost better.

I don't disagree with you on the coverage question. The Radion XR30 is stated to cover 30x30, but realistically 24x24. So you're right that the 4 foot viable option for the AP700 does make it cheaper. Though that being said, the AP700 definitely doesn't excel at 48 inches on a deep tank. If you're running a 30 inch deep tank I think you'd be hard pressed to see good results if you're trying to stretch to 48 inches because then the light is going to be 45-48 inches off the bottom.

If we're being completely realistic, I'm of the belief that a 48 inch long tank that's 24+ inches deep will require 2 AP700s to get PUR penetration to the sand bed the way that a Radion will. While I don't have data to back that up, and I don't mean it as a bash against the AP700, I think it's worth considering.

As to your point about the customizations - Isn't this the same issue with many other lights? I don't know how many for sure, but there are definitely others that ship with no "suggested" program and a boat load of terrible options. That being said, the default program in the Kessil app is pretty terrible.

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't disagree with you on the coverage question. The Radion XR30 is stated to cover 30x30, but realistically 24x24. So you're right that the 4 foot viable option for the AP700 does make it cheaper. Though that being said, the AP700 definitely doesn't excel at 48 inches on a deep tank. If you're running a 30 inch deep tank I think you'd be hard pressed to see good results if you're trying to stretch to 48 inches because then the light is going to be 45-48 inches off the bottom.

If we're being completely realistic, I'm of the belief that a 48 inch long tank that's 24+ inches deep will require 2 AP700s to get PUR penetration to the sand bed the way that a Radion will. While I don't have data to back that up, and I don't mean it as a bash against the AP700, I think it's worth considering.

As to your point about the customizations - Isn't this the same issue with many other lights? I don't know how many for sure, but there are definitely others that ship with no "suggested" program and a boat load of terrible options. That being said, the default program in the Kessil app is pretty terrible.
Yea I think you are right that you would need two to have enough light for a deep tank. As for the customization options, you are also right and I think this might be one of the drawback to LEDs in general. I think this is why T5s and MH are so successful to some extent.

OP
OP
Defective_Weeble

Defective_Weeble

Salty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I think you are right that you would need two to have enough light for a deep tank. As for the customization options, you are also right and I think this might be one of the drawback to LEDs in general. I think this is why T5s and MH are so successful to some extent.

If you've not been watching the @Bulk Reef Supply series on their 160 build, the last 2 episodes are great for their in-depth discussion on T5 and MH lighting. The biggest advantage, exactly as you state, is the plug & play simplicity. I can state with no hesitation that my most successful tank was lit by T5. It was dead simple and beautiful.

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you've not been watching the @Bulk Reef Supply series on their 160 build, the last 2 episodes are great for their in-depth discussion on T5 and MH lighting. The biggest advantage, exactly as you state, is the plug & play simplicity. I can state with no hesitation that my most successful tank was lit by T5. It was dead simple and beautiful.
Yea I did see those and T5/MH bulbs have tried and true spectrum outputs, where as LEDs do not have that and with out a tool to measure spectrum output you wont really know. Sorry to get the thread off topic but I am glad to see this review I was thinking of getting the AP700 but reading this makes me glad that I did not. Please keep us updated.

OP
OP
Defective_Weeble

Defective_Weeble

Salty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's update day:

HyHHvig.png

I've downloaded the update and, at least so far, it does seem better. My niggle about the "On" button got fixed, and I had run into the bug with the effect modes not working as well. The big change is the Lunar Cycle. I'm still going through my normal cycle right now but I'm hopeful that I'll have lunar lights working as of tonight.

Fingers crossed, and I'll update this post with what I find.

cjsreefaus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish eye lenses and a nice shimmer but ive only ever seen one at the lfs. Retail in aus is ridiculou$.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back