Something is VERY wrong with my fish

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im losing another wrasse now all of a sudden. Rapid breathing and laying on the bottom. I dont understand what the heck is going on here.
Is he in copper?

Because of how long they were untreated, gill damage was already present most likely.

Copper can also affect wrasse but it's a necessary evil.

OP
OP
Breakthecycle2

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is he in copper?

Because of how long they were untreated, gill damage was already present most likely.

Copper can also affect wrasse but it's a necessary evil.

He is in copper. Here are my levels. The ammonia is high, are you sure this is a false positive? Anything I can do about the nitrites?I think I asked already, but can I and should I do a dose of Prazripro in QT?

Attachments

• 20150825_140019.jpg
    20150825_140019.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 144

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is in copper. Here are my levels. The ammonia is high, are you sure this is a false positive? Anything I can do about the nitrites?I think I asked already, but can I and should I do a dose of Prazripro in QT?

Water changes. What does your ammonia badge show? Yes they're false positives. Water changes solve nitrite nitrate and ammonia issues. Need to do if badge is anything other than safe yellow. I do large water changes.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it OK to dose prazi then with copper?
Technically yes but if you have struggling fish, particularly wrasse, it's a risk. I've never had prazi affect any of my ~30 wrasse but it has been claimed that it can. A weak wrasse may be finished off by it.

@eatbreakfast @evolved what say you two?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can dose Prazipro with copper, but as mentioned above that may just put more stress on your fish at this point. Particularly the wrasses, which IME don't seem to handle any medication particularly well. Also, the presence of copper will diminish prazi's effectiveness but it still seems to be enough to get the job done.

Once you start dosing meds, you can pretty much throw your test kits out the window. You will get nothing but false positives. I believe Seachem's ammonia test kit claims to still work even in the presence of Cupramine. I've always just relied upon their ammonia alert badges, smelling the water and watching the fish.
;)

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Technically yes but if you have struggling fish, particularly wrasse, it's a risk. I've never had prazi affect any of my ~30 wrasse but it has been claimed that it can. A weak wrasse may be finished off by it.
@evolved what say you two?
Agree, but I'll also say I don't like copper (for wrasses). I'd rather use just about any alternatively to such.

OP
OP
Breakthecycle2

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, here's what I did. That wrasse didn't make it. I did a 20 gallon water change last night and didn't re add any copper. I added 1 1/2 teaspoons of Prazi to a 40 gallon breeder. I completely forgot that the HOB filter had a carbon insert (the basic standard inserts they come with). I probably needed to take that out, right? Should I do a water change a redose?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, here's what I did. That wrasse didn't make it. I did a 20 gallon water change last night and didn't re add any copper. I added 1 1/2 teaspoons of Prazi to a 40 gallon breeder. I completely forgot that the HOB filter had a carbon insert (the basic standard inserts they come with). I probably needed to take that out, right? Should I do a water change a redose?

Carbon probably took some of the prazi out, but it's impossible to say how much. Your best bet is to wait 3 days (praziquantel only remains active in the water for 72 hrs max), do at least a 20-25% WC and dose Prazipro again. You don't want to risk overdosing Prazipro, especially with wrasses.

OP
OP
Breakthecycle2

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I cannot get my Tang to eat. I have tried everything at this point. I am assuming its the Copper. I did another water change and did not add anymore. So thats 90% of the water changed in two days. I only have a cleaner wrasse left for the wrasses. Do I redose the PRazi now or wait the 72 hours.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I cannot get my Tang to eat. I have tried everything at this point. I am assuming its the Copper. I did another water change and did not add anymore. So thats 90% of the water changed in two days. I only have a cleaner wrasse left for the wrasses. Do I redose the PRazi now or wait the 72 hours.
Your tang is not eating because of the damage he incurred from not being treated quickly and being sick at all, most likely

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He was the first fish I took out when I noticed something was wrong. He has been in qt for 2 and half weeks.

Removing copper will just bring back ich and velvet. Do what you wish though.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what do you supposed I do? Just let him starve to death without trying everything?
I can assure you letting him get eaten alive by parasites is the worst thing you can do

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you should tackle one problem at a time. Focus and fix one thing at a time. First kill the ick. Keep the copper in the QT at the proper dose and for the recommended amount of time. Then slowly lower the copper until it's gone and treat for any other secondary infections/problems. If the only thing to do after treating the ick is to fatten up your fish, then I think your doing good. You can do it!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 76 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back