Stand for rolling out sump?

dragonfisher33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i have this crazy idea of having a diy stand that allows me to roll out the sump that sits on couple casters. Anyone thought about this before and how would you modify the plan for a 5x2x2 150 gallon peninsula tank?

stand.jpeg

OP
OP
dragonfisher33

dragonfisher33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the sump would literally be sitting on casters and rested on my hardwood floor. in terms of plumbing, it will be half pvc and half soft plumbing. the pvc will be secured to the back wall of the stand through pvc holders and such.

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah ok i see what you're saying now. It would require a lot of organization and planning, i mean consider all of the cords and wires that would have to be mobile from sliding the sump in and out. Are you fixated on the idea or the convenience factor? You could do some type of removable panels instead so you have more access to the sump area.

OP
OP
dragonfisher33

dragonfisher33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah ok i see what you're saying now. It would require a lot of organization and planning, i mean consider all of the cords and wires that would have to be mobile from sliding the sump in and out. Are you fixated on the idea or the convenience factor? You could do some type of removable panels instead so you have more access to the sump area.
it's the convenience. since my tank is a 5x2x2 peninsula tank with the overflow on the right side of the tank, I just thought that the ability to roll out the sump for maintenance is a huge plus. therefore I would have an access door /panel on the left side of the stand so the sump can be rolled out.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If designed correctly, and assuming you would empty the sump prior to moving it (which I would think you would), you could use heavy-duty draw slides mounted on the bottom of a "tray", which the sump would sit on top of the tray. Empty it out and slide the tray out to remove the sump. Just think of a heavy-duty utility draw mounted in a cabinet.

The challenge would be how you skin the stand. It would have to be a panel or large enough doors to accommodate the sliding out of the tray. As to plumbing, simply use unions at all entry/exit point to and from the sump, installed just above the height of the sump. Empty the sump, undo the unions, slide the tray out and remove the sump.

I think it has potential to be done with the correct hardware and design. Love the out of the box thinking by the way!!!

OP
OP
dragonfisher33

dragonfisher33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If designed correctly, and assuming you would empty the sump prior to moving it (which I would think you would), you could use heavy-duty draw slides mounted on the bottom of a "tray", which the sump would sit on top of the tray. Empty it out and slide the tray out to remove the sump. Just think of a heavy-duty utility draw mounted in a cabinet.

The challenge would be how you skin the stand. It would have to be a panel or large enough doors to accommodate the sliding out of the tray. As to plumbing, simply use unions at all entry/exit point to and from the sump, installed just above the height of the sump. Empty the sump, undo the unions, slide the tray out and remove the sump.

I think it has potential to be done with the correct hardware and design. Love the out of the box thinking by the way!!!

i have thought about it but overtime, the rail will give away according to my lfs.

i thought about using this before: http://www.amazon.com/Drawer-Slide-...032930&sr=8-2&keywords=heavy+duty+drawer+rail

i should add the sump is a standard 75gallon. even if the rail is rated for up to 500lb, i wouldn't bet on it long term especially with salt exposure.

salttanklife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's a great idea and if there's a will, there's a way. I noticed sure on how long you're planning on leaving it out for maintenance. If it's just a short while, can't you hard plumb it with valves to shut off water from draining and a quick disconnect? When you're done, slide it back in place, connect the plumbing, and power everything back on.

OP
OP
dragonfisher33

dragonfisher33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think plumbing will be an issue. the issue is the stand. as you know, when you build a regular stand, you have a rectangle frame that keeps it from shifting left/right or sideways. if I were to build a stand of my dream, the bottom half wouldn't be there. if that's the case, how do I keep the stand from shifting over time?

OP
OP
dragonfisher33

dragonfisher33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 @salttanklife, I guess I assumed you'd want to slide it out with your system running 100%.

sorry if i confused anyone. during maintenance, the system will be off. yes i plan on using quick disconnect/unions/gate valves to shut off the water during maintenance.

OP
OP
dragonfisher33

dragonfisher33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is what i mean when i said "bottom half wouldn't be there" . the wood with the yellow lines wouldn't be part of the plan if i have a sump sitting on wheels. therefore i need a support somewhere such that the stand doesn't give a way later on down the road. i hope this makes sense

stand.jpeg

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of removing those braces (2x4s) could you build a small platform for the sump to wheel out onto thats equal height to the base of the sump? So the platform would be 49 inches wide, 18.5 inches deep (could make it as deep as you wanted) and would sit 3.5 inches tall (from the 2x4). Just a thought...

OP
OP
dragonfisher33

dragonfisher33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of removing those braces (2x4s) could you build a small platform for the sump to wheel out onto thats equal height to the base of the sump? So the platform would be 49 inches wide, 18.5 inches deep (could make it as deep as you wanted) and would sit 3.5 inches tall (from the 2x4). Just a thought...

i have thought of that as well...I'm just fishing for ideas right now. otherwise, I will go that route.

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you could keep the lower, dark blue, end cross braces and remove the bottom long red braces; then where the long red braces are pictured, make that the resting platform for the sump and somehow lock that sump platform into the sides for support.... Only issue is how much would sliding the stand out jeopardize the stability of the stand and how do you lock the sump platform in to aid in support...

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is what i mean when i said "bottom half wouldn't be there" . the wood with the yellow lines wouldn't be part of the plan if i have a sump sitting on wheels. therefore i need a support somewhere such that the stand doesn't give a way later on down the road. i hope this makes sense

stand.jpeg

Suggest you add some braces, connecting the back two legs and then the pair of each side legs. The side braces would need to be on the inside of the build to make it easier to sheath the structure if you're going in that direction...

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 24 30.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 62 79.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 12 15.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 9.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.1%
Back