Sump or hob filter for 15g

avwilly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new with saltwater tanks, I have a month with my 15 gallon aqueon column. I'm currently running hob filter rated for 30 gallon. I want to upgrade that to ether an aquaclear 110 or a 2.5 gallon sump. That is all I can fit under the tank. I'm planning to have 3 fishes and some corals. What is more beneficial the aquaclear hob or 2.5 g sump.

saltyphish

Certified Sand Groomer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking the sump would have more capacity than the 110 so would choose sump

dmort

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Realistically, you should do whatever will be easiest for you to work with over time. Are you going to drill the 15 gallon? Use a HOB overflow box?

The aquaclear 110 is nice because it can be fairly easily modded. You can get mod kits for it on ebay and then run the smallest tunze skimmer in the back. Check out this youtube vid.

I would look at what equipment you'd need to keep in the 2.5 gallon. I'll bet that once you put a return pump in there, there would be very little room for anything else. Typically you'd have a skimmer, heater, and maybe some sort of auto top of thingy in a sump. It might make sense to acquire what you want, equipment wise, figure out how much space it takes up, and go from there.

I'd suggest looking at USplastics.com and see if they have a square shaped bucket that you could use as a sump. You might get more water volume that way.

OP
OP
A

avwilly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ac 110 holds almost 2 gallons. I'm thinking ac 110 is easy to maintain in long term. I wish I can have a bigger stand to fit a bigger sump. But wife only approves this stand. Lol.

dmort

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best thing I've learned reefing is to do what works for you and your routines. You've got to stay on top of upkeep so do what fits in your life.

OP
OP
A

avwilly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good call I think I'm going with the ac 110 but I was at Walmart last night and they have the aqua tech rated for 60 gallon for $36 that is cheap comparte to ac 110 at $80. Wonder if I can just go with the aquatech. Why people gets the aquaclear cuz is a clear box? Or performance?

dmort

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My understanding is that the aquaclear filters are the best but the 110 is vastly over rated for a 15 gallon. I'd do the 110 bit mod it to be able to use a skimmer.

OP
OP
A

avwilly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will go with ac70 but I don't think I can fit a skimmer in there. Will be nice to fit the skimmer and the heater in the ac 70

dmort

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't run the biological filter material.. Clean the sponge weekly. Consider using chemipure or something... Should work out well! Especially if you keep up with water changes.

OP
OP
A

avwilly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For water changes 10% every week? Right? I don't have any corals I only have 2 fishes right now.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back