Super glue or not?

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True, but my fish eat everything they can, so there is no left overs, I guess it depends on how you feed.

Jeepguy242

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True, but my fish eat everything they can, so there is no left overs, I guess it depends on how you feed.

LOL, i feed with a cold beer!!! so its usually after 10 or so, and i want to watch the fish, and then someone stops buy, and wants to watch the fish too, so i feed again, is a wonder i DONT have nitrate problems, but i got some REAL FAT tangs!!!

JackoChang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My buddy just used silicone to "glue" is acrylic baffles in place on a glass sump...long story short they blew out leaking sand into the pump, the impellor wasn't spinning in a perfect circle, and he blew his pump. Something about the sand making an scores in the cylinder and causing the impellor to wobble. Might be an extreme situation, but now he has to replace his pump. Whole situation could've been avoided with a $10 bottle of weld-on.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Jeepguy242

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
weld on wont hold acrylic to glass, to do it right its got to be glass baffles siliconed in a glass sump, or acrylic baffles with weld on in an acrylic sump.

OP
OP
N

newsalth2o

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sump has been up and running for almost three weeks now. Silicone has held together well. I would use it again if I build another sump. I added a penguin 200 and a protien skimmer. Removed all the filter floss and added a charcoal sock. I may put some floss back in under the filter return just for noise. Any other ideas for noise/splash reduction? The cover over the sump has stopped all the splashing out. Check out the video and let me know what you think.

[video=youtube;GJimLowZ5aY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJimLowZ5aY[/video]

OP
OP
N

newsalth2o

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sump has been in service April now and what has happened is this.

Large divider has held very well no leaks ( all glass to acrylic with silicon)

smaller dividers creating bubble trap glass side holding strong. acrylic to acrylic with silicon failed.

That said would use glass dividers next time.....Maybe

tinctorus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How should I attach the baffles in the refugium that I am building to my tank??
I am using a 10 gallon glass tank BUT I am using acrylic baffles, Granted there are only 3 baffles and there will be no pressure on them as the first baffle where the water comes in will have slits at the top for the water to overflow into the refugium portion with the chaeto and then the next baffle will stop 3 inches from the top and run down into a filter block to stop any micro bubbles and the third baffle will stop 3 inches from the bottom so in reality there is NO pressure on any of the baffles

Should I drill a few small holes at the bottom of the first baffle as well as the slits at the top or should I just use a good amount of silicone??
I am positive that the baffles will stay put but I was curious if anyone else had any other ideas???

Thank you
Mike G

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off... Welcome to R2R!
With a relatively small amount of pressure, you should be fine just holding the baffles in place with an aquarium safe silicone. The silicone doesn't bond very well to acrylic, but I used it to hold acrylic baffles in my glass 55g sump and I've had no problems.

OP
OP
N

newsalth2o

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tinctorus, If it is all glass to acrylic joints silicon will work. Just dont be greedy with the silicon. The ones in my sump that held had about 3/16 of silicon on both sides. The acrylic joints do not hold with silicon even with superglue under it....

florida reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience, a lot of silicone will hold acrylic baffles in place when installed in a glass tank. The preferred material is glass, but when I was building a sump out of a 20l aquarium finding glass that was thick enough was near impossible so I just used acrylic. My sump has been up and running for over a year with no apparent problems.

Good 'ol Melev offers a ton of info on building sumps and modifying small aquariums to make sumps. Here is a link with all the info: Melevsreef.com | Acrylic Sumps & Refugiums

Last edited:

tinctorus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive decided just to have a custom refugium made to my specs but it will be shipped to me in pieces so that I can put it together myself as that will save more a decent amount of money by having the manufacture cutting all the pieces to my specs and then me gluing the pieces together

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 37 34.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back