OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, that's great advice. I already have an acclimation box, and I love the purple that's a display tang, so it's good to hear that he won't kill Cole (his name). Cole is super nervous already, but the purple is smaller than Cole, so that gives him a better chance I guess, right? I won't let someone kill Cole. I mean the guy is scared of a pygmy angel.... He used to hide under a rock when I went near the tank, now he is used to me, but still goes to his "safe spot" when I get near the tank.
You sure adding a purple will be safe? I don't mean 100%, nothing is that precise, but like 50/50 that adding a purple would be OK?

Tanks again @4FordFamily !!!!!
Depending on the size of the tank, I think you've got a 75:25 chance assuming it's big enough for two!

cmattdvc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@4FordFamily

I'm setting up a 240 cube. It's roughly 54x54x24. Sump and 'fuge add another 70 and I've got my 40 frag tank plumbed into the system.

On my short list I've got a purple, powder brown and powder blue. With the purple and the brown being my top two choices.

Tank mates will be my current livestock which is a leapord wrasse, couple clowns and a neon dottyback. I'd like to also add a trio of Bartlett's Anthias. Corals will be zoa dominant along with LPS.

What's your thoughts sir?

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@4FordFamily

I'm setting up a 240 cube. It's roughly 54x54x24. Sump and 'fuge add another 70 and I've got my 40 frag tank plumbed into the system.

On my short list I've got a purple, powder brown and powder blue. With the purple and the brown being my top two choices.

Tank mates will be my current livestock which is a leapord wrasse, couple clowns and a neon dottyback. I'd like to also add a trio of Bartlett's Anthias. Corals will be zoa dominant along with LPS.

What's your thoughts sir?

Acanthurus prefer 6 feet of swimming distance side to side or more but in a cube of that size you may well be OK IMO.

Sounds like a good list to me otherwise! The powders may not get along, know that's a risk going forward. Add them at the same time.

Last edited:

cmattdvc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acanthurus prefer 6 feet of swimming distance side to side or more but in a cube of that size you may well be OK IMO.

Sounds like a good list to me otherwise! The powders may not get along, know that's a risk going forward. Add the at the same time.

In that case I think I'll forgo the powder blue and do maybe a chevron or white cheek.

Thank you for your help and sharing your knowledge.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In that case I think I'll forgo the powder blue and do maybe a chevron or white cheek.

Thank you for your help and sharing your knowledge.

You're welcome, I'm always willing :)

germs101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That should work fine! :)
I had the Yellow already in QT ready for the display, but I was waiting because I bought a Sailfin, Scopas, and Hippo and wanted to add everyone to the display at the same time. I finished TTM on the new tangs ( no issues) and added them to the 39 gallon qt. The Zebrasomas really went at it swimming backwards at each other. The next day it was the Yellow and Scopas charging. Today I see some chunks missing from the Sailfin and Scopas and witnessed the yellow now biting. He is now in a time out box inside the qt.
Unfortunately, I will need to postpone adding anyone to the display because the Hippo appears to have Velvet. I'm surprised it took this long to show up, but I'm happy everyone is alive so far. Copper begins tomorrow. I'm wondering if this charging and biting will lessen as time goes on, or will the bigger tank in a month help? I didn't expect to have 4 tangs in qt together this long :( The strange thing is they all huddle together. I don't understand them!:rolleyes: Do you think they can put up with each other a little longer?

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the Yellow already in QT ready for the display, but I was waiting because I bought a Sailfin, Scopas, and Hippo and wanted to add everyone to the display at the same time. I finished TTM on the new tangs ( no issues) and added them to the 39 gallon qt. The Zebrasomas really went at it swimming backwards at each other. The next day it was the Yellow and Scopas charging. Today I see some chunks missing from the Sailfin and Scopas and witnessed the yellow now biting. He is now in a time out box inside the qt.
Unfortunately, I will need to postpone adding anyone to the display because the Hippo appears to have Velvet. I'm surprised it took this long to show up, but I'm happy everyone is alive so far. Copper begins tomorrow. I'm wondering if this charging and biting will lessen as time goes on, or will the bigger tank in a month help? I didn't expect to have 4 tangs in qt together this long :( The strange thing is they all huddle together. I don't understand them!:rolleyes: Do you think they can put up with each other a little longer?

Yeah they will probably be fine but watch it closely. It can get really ugly really quick but I find that typically with enough other tangs zebrasoma get over their differences quickly. If there are still problems (or things are not MUCH better) in a few days to a week you might remove the aggressor and replace with another.

sanchoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Powder blues are tough aggressive nuggets. I introduced a small 2 inch pbt tang into the system. He holds his own against tangs way larger than himself. The Angel tried to pick on him, pictures speak for themselves. Angel is 3x larger than the pbt.

IMG_6465.JPG
IMG_6453.JPG

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Powder blues are tough aggressive nuggets. I introduced a small 2 inch pbt tang into the system. He holds his own against tangs way larger than himself. The Angel tried to pick on him, pictures speak for themselves. Angel is 3x larger than the pbt.

IMG_6465.JPG
IMG_6453.JPG
Oh yeah in a disease free system powder blue tangs are indestructible

steveaus10

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll most likely be fine after 8 2 months together successfully, typically. Especially if the tank is well stocked of tang shaped fish.
You'll most likely be fine after 8 2 months together successfully, typically. Especially if the tank is well stocked of tang shaped fish.
besides 2 tangs only others is a scooter blenny a honey damsel a blue chromis a couple of emerald crabs and several scarlet and blue hermits it is still a work in progress 100 lbs of liverock and growing slowly looking at possibly one or two more fish like pygmy angels and more cleanup

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great work on this article, Jason!

Brian Reagan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to this addiction, um I mean hobby. I currently have 2 yellow tangs and a coral beauty in my 220 gallon tank. Tangs are my favorite type of fish. The short list of tangs I would like are, in order:
Naso, blond male preferably
Powder blue
Achilles
Sailfin
Blue
Purple
Any recommendations on order or combination of adding at the same time?
My yellows are somewhat mellow and get along fine.
Tia

Last edited:
OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to this addiction, um I mean hobby. I currently have 2 yellow tangs and a coral beauty in my 220 gallon tank. Tangs are my favorite type of fish. The short list of tangs I would like are, in order:
Naso, blond male preferably
Powder blue
Achilles
Sailfin
Blue
Purple
Any recommendations on order or combination of adding at the same time?
My yellows are somewhat mellow and get along fine.
Tia
Your best bet is to add the Achilles powder blue and naso at the same time and the purple sailfin and blue at the same time IMO. The Achilles and PBT may not ever tolerate each other but the only way you'll not fail miserably is if you don't add them at the same time and with at least one other tang.

He sure to properly treat and qt everyone as powder blue and Achilles in particular will not survive in a system with parasites present unlike some other tangs.

Brian Reagan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your best bet is to add the Achilles powder blue and naso at the same time and the purple sailfin and blue at the same time IMO. The Achilles and PBT may not ever tolerate each other but the only way you'll not fail miserably is if you don't add them at the same time and with at least one other tang.

He sure to properly treat and qt everyone as powder blue and Achilles in particular will not survive in a system with parasites present unlike some other tangs.
Hmmm, I made need to forgo the Achilles as the powder blue is the wifes choice. If I take the Achilles out of the mix, does that change things or still the same combos?
Thank you

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm, I made need to forgo the Achilles as the powder blue is the wifes choice. If I take the Achilles out of the mix, does that change things or still the same combos?
Thank you

I would add the powder blue last with one other tang (perhaps naso or blue)

Susan Bates

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very interesting thread. I have been wanting to add a new tang I just don't know what I can choose from as I have a hippo and sail fin currently. I currently have a 75 gal but I will be upgrading to a 100 gal later this week. Id really like to add a Naso but I don't want to buy one just to create an issue and one of the fish ends up dyeing. any suggestions?
I have a yellow and saifin tangs and added a Naso a few months ago, with no major problems, the Naso is the most aggressive and the biggest eater

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a yellow and saifin tangs and added a Naso a few months ago, with no major problems, the Naso is the most aggressive and the biggest eater
That's good! Most fish don't mess with naso tangs. Dual scalpels and good size make them intimidating although they're typically docile for a tang.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 88 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back