Tang Aggression - Understanding and Combating

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ford, I have a question. I've always added tangs together in the past and always last, but with my current system, I only wanted one tang and planned on adding it last.

Well that didn't go as planned and I was offered a beautiful Tomini almost 6 months ago at a sweet deal. Not juvenile, but definitely not fully grown. Went through quarantine with flying colors and was added to my two clowns and a yellow halichoeres wrasse. Very peaceful Tomini and has never shown any aggression to the other fish.

Now I'm wanting to add some other fish and really can't rework my rock structures. I'm looking at some other wrasses and possible chalk bass. (Always liked chalk bass) What is the best way to do this without the Tomini flipping a lid and attacking the new comers?

cperry7467

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a similar issue. I got a powder brown tang and never had any issues out of it, tried to introduce a melanurus wrasse today and the tang went nuts! I ended up pulling the wrasse and putting him in a quick DIY acclimation box. I think I'll keep him in a few days and then section off some of the tank with egg crate to get some closer interaction. If that doesn't work, any suggestions on what to try next ?

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ford, I have a question. I've always added tangs together in the past and always last, but with my current system, I only wanted one tang and planned on adding it last.

Well that didn't go as planned and I was offered a beautiful Tomini almost 6 months ago at a sweet deal. Not juvenile, but definitely not fully grown. Went through quarantine with flying colors and was added to my two clowns and a yellow halichoeres wrasse. Very peaceful Tomini and has never shown any aggression to the other fish.

Now I'm wanting to add some other fish and really can't rework my rock structures. I'm looking at some other wrasses and possible chalk bass. (Always liked chalk bass) What is the best way to do this without the Tomini flipping a lid and attacking the new comers?
I would say the tomoni is not as likely as other tangs to attack, especially other non tang-shaped herbivores I suspect you'll be fine. When in doubt, a social acclimation box is never a bad idea. Good luck!

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a similar issue. I got a powder brown tang and never had any issues out of it, tried to introduce a melanurus wrasse today and the tang went nuts! I ended up pulling the wrasse and putting him in a quick DIY acclimation box. I think I'll keep him in a few days and then section off some of the tank with egg crate to get some closer interaction. If that doesn't work, any suggestions on what to try next ?
Acanthurus can be nasty, unfortunately if he has it out for the wrasse he's not likely to forget. On the other hand, tangs are less likely to attack wrasse and other fish of such different shape long term. Unfortunately I'll give that a 50/50 shot. Social acclimation box was a good move!

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say the tomoni is not as likely as other tangs to attack, especially other non tang-shaped herbivores I suspect you'll be fine. When in doubt, a social acclimation box is never a bad idea. Good luck!

Thanks for the input, much appreciated. Will go with acclimation box for sure and multiple fish at one time to break up one being the sole victim. (hopefully none)

Thanks again.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input, much appreciated. Will go with acclimation box for sure and multiple fish at one time to break up one being the sole victim. (hopefully none)

Thanks again.
Sounds like a good plan! Good luck. Any time! :)

cperry7467

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to share my success story. I tried to add a melanurus wrasse to my tank with a powder brown tang and there were fireworks! The tang pinned down the wrasse, bit his fins, chased non stop. It was ugly! I moved the wrasse to a DIY acclimation box just to get them separated but personally I don't care for this approach. The fish aren't socializing really and it's so confined and it's a guessing game on when to let them out... So, I decided to section off part of my tank with egg crate with a small twist. The tang is my biggest fish, so I cut a few holes in the egg crate just big enough for the other fish to go through, including the wrasse, but not the tang. So the other tankmates (goby, flame angel, clowns, flame hawk) could come and interact with the new wrasse but it also offered protection from the tang.

My first attempt did not go well. I made the hole too big, I was shocked the tang got through, and after about 45 minutes of staying on their own sides the tang came flying in and nailed the wrasse again. OK, had to pull out the egg crate and improvised by glueing some egg crate back on to make the holes a little smaller. I got it back in with fish separated and all is well.

After a few hours the wrasse decided to try and venture to the other side, came through and was chased back out but made it to safety.

Later in the day, he tried it again. This time the tang swam near him but no aggression. The wrasse was able to explore the whole tank without issue but I left the divider in just in case. This is day 3 and today I took out the egg crate and everyone is getting along fine.

IMG_20161230_094930.jpg

IMG_20161230_120436.jpg

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've thought about using a divider like that when I add more fish next year. Lol

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great work! Powders can be nasty!!

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am moron. I had two windows open and meant to post this in the "Show Off Your Tangs" thread. Actually I have no problems with aggression with either Tang.

pbt.jpg

purple tang.jpg

ms.jpg
Those photos are welcome here for sure!! Beautiful fish!

Lesley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_4892.JPG
IMG_0365.JPG
IMG_0648.JPG
I added
3 x yellow
1 whitecheek
1 lipstick
1 yellow eyes kole
2 x regal
Lopezi
At once

6 months later
Sailfin
Powder blue
Purple tang

Last addition is a bristle tooth

So far 2yrs no problems yet
Am upgrading from my 400g to 1000g im about 6 weeks

Can I ask your opinion on possibly adding an Achilles? Or is that now pushing the boundaries please
Would be added the same time to the 1000g as all existing fish ?

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_4892.JPG
IMG_0365.JPG
IMG_0648.JPG
I added
3 x yellow
1 whitecheek
1 lipstick
1 yellow eyes kole
2 x regal
Lopezi
At once

6 months later
Sailfin
Powder blue
Purple tang

Can I ask your opinion on possibly adding an Achilles? Or is that now pushing the boundaries please

Adding an Achilles with a pbt and white cheek is likely to go awry. If you try it, try to do so with a social acclimation box. Also know that if your pbt doesn't like the Achilles there's a good chance of permanent failure as they often hold permanent grudges, or things temporarily subside and quickly escalate. That said, having so many tangs is likely to work in your favor for this purpose but to what extent remains to be seen!

Beautiful tank by the way and well done!

Black Pearl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_4892.JPG
IMG_0365.JPG
IMG_0648.JPG
I added
3 x yellow
1 whitecheek
1 lipstick
1 yellow eyes kole
2 x regal
Lopezi
At once

6 months later
Sailfin
Powder blue
Purple tang

Great collection. How did you add the last three? after lights out acclimation box?

DipSpit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with most of the points made with one caveat: This experience varies greatly from aquarium to aquarium.

I introduced a smaller Black Longnose Tang to a tank already containing a dominant Yellow Tang - which I was OK with at the onset because I was counting on the size differential creating a real "black and white" scenario on who was the boss. Regrettably the Yellow still found it necessary to bully the small (but vastly more expensive) Black Longnose.

The solution I found was to set up multiple "Nori Stations" which I used 4 small pieces of rubble to rubber band nori to. I usually feed 3-4 sheets of nori daily on one rock but changed this to 3-4 sheets on 4 separate rocks. I found that multiple locations for grazing satisfied everyone and all but eliminated hostility.

Over a period of time I would eliminate each station until I was down to the single station again with no aggression left.

I think at some point they realized food will never be scarce in the tank and the pecking order was reestablished.

Since then all has been quiet and calm.

Lesley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding an Achilles with a pbt and white cheek is likely to go awry. If you try it, try to do so with a social acclimation box. Also know that if your pbt doesn't like the Achilles there's a good chance of permanent failure as they often hold permanent grudges, or things temporarily subside and quickly escalate. That said, having so many tangs is likely to work in your favor for this purpose but to what extent remains to be seen!

Beautiful tank by the way and well done!

Ok. Great advice. Thank you
Think might just leave the numbers I have
They all get along not woth risking. It

Thanks for your prompt reply

Last edited:

Lesley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with most of the points made with one caveat: This experience varies greatly from aquarium to aquarium.

I introduced a smaller Black Longnose Tang to a tank already containing a dominant Yellow Tang - which I was OK with at the onset because I was counting on the size differential creating a real "black and white" scenario on who was the boss. Regrettably the Yellow still found it necessary to bully the small (but vastly more expensive) Black Longnose.

The solution I found was to set up multiple "Nori Stations" which I used 4 small pieces of rubble to rubber band nori to. I usually feed 3-4 sheets of nori daily on one rock but changed this to 3-4 sheets on 4 separate rocks. I found that multiple locations for grazing satisfied everyone and all but eliminated hostility.

Over a period of time I would eliminate each station until I was down to the single station again with no aggression left.

I think at some point they realized food will never be scarce in the tank and the pecking order was reestablished.

Since then all has been quiet and calm.

I do exactly the same everyday
With an excellent variety of foods
I also believe if enough food around less reason to be " grumpy "

Lesley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great collection. How did you add the last three? after lights out acclimation box?
No. Used the theory add in numbers spread the aggression
Sailfin was slightly bigger than purple and purple much bigger than existing yelloww because I knew yellows would hate him
As it turned out we had a little chasing and flaring but no slapping so all went well

I don't add at lights out as I've been told
I find tangs are far more protective of there sleeping spots then grazing spots
So I add at beginning of light cycle every time
So far so good
Thank you

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 146 60.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 66 27.4%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 85 35.3%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.8%
  • Other

Votes: 66 27.4%
Back