Tang Aggression - Understanding and Combating

Black Pearl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response, I don't like adding after lights out either, seems they would be more disoriented in the new environment. think I will try an acclimation box. I've got a lavender, chevron and naso to add

Ayzel1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Sailfin, yellow eyes, brown tang, orange shoulder in my 120 tank. I just saw at the Petco a small Tomini Tang, and he is small probably 2" to 3". What I really love about the fish is the fact that it has a hint of yellow on its fins. Do you guys think that 5 tang would be to many? My fish advisor says that I already have too many tangs, and because he is of similar shape as the yellow eyes, there might me a fighting issue.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Sailfin, yellow eyes, brown tang, orange shoulder in my 120 tank. I just saw at the Petco a small Tomini Tang, and he is small probably 2" to 3". What I really love about the fish is the fact that it has a hint of yellow on its fins. Do you guys think that 5 tang would be to many? My fish advisor says that I already have too many tangs, and because he is of similar shape as the yellow eyes, there might me a fighting issue.
Some people wouldn't recommend any tangs in a 120g tank. Especially if is the 4ft long variety. I'm not sure how large your current tangs are but I would be surprised if you don't run into aggression issues as they age without adding more.

Ayzel1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people wouldn't recommend any tangs in a 120g tank. Especially if is the 4ft long variety. I'm not sure how large your current tangs are but I would be surprised if you don't run into aggression issues as they age without adding more.

It's 5' long, and I have noticed the sailfin chase off the other tangs away from his spot in the rocks.[emoji848]I have read some people have tangs in smaller tanks than mine.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's 5' long, and I have noticed the sailfin chase off the other tangs away from his spot in the rocks.[emoji848]I have read some people have tangs in smaller tanks than mine.
People definitely do keep them in much smaller tanks. Especially with juvenile tangs. The hard part is keeping them healthy and happy once they start getting close to full size. When you have a few 1' long Tangs in a 3' to 4' tank they are not going to do well.

With a 5' tank you will be better off than most. Its just something you will need to monitor as they age.

Gwitness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! I have a 220 reef and I currently have a purple tang and clown tang in quarantine....

I was curious if I could add a powder blue to that mix and keep those 3 tangs together if I add them in my main tank all at the same time

OR

Instead of the powder blue, Could I get two yellow tangs and add them in with my purple and clown tang....I would add all of the tangs at the exact same time...

Just let me know thoughts or ideas!

LostInTheDark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! I have a 220 reef and I currently have a purple tang and clown tang in quarantine....

I was curious if I could add a powder blue to that mix and keep those 3 tangs together if I add them in my main tank all at the same time

OR

Instead of the powder blue, Could I get two yellow tangs and add them in with my purple and clown tang....I would add all of the tangs at the exact same time...

Just let me know thoughts or ideas!

That's probably the most aggressive trio you could have. A 220 will start feeling small real fast with those fish together.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that a clown and powder blue would work if there were more tangs in a larger tank -- it could work but it could also fail, badly.

I think the hippo is a good idea. I'd properly quarantine and treat all with copper and praziquantel prior to addition as well.

Good luck!

Gwitness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that a clown and powder blue would work if there were more tangs in a larger tank -- it could work but it could also fail, badly.

I think the hippo is a good idea. I'd properly quarantine and treat all with copper and praziquantel prior to addition as well.

Good luck!

That's the plan! Thank you! Do I need to add all 3 at one time?

I was planning on adding the clown tang and purple at same time and then the hippo later?

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the plan! Thank you! Do I need to add all 3 at one time?

I was planning on adding the clown tang and purple at same time and then the hippo later?
I would say add hippo first, or all three at the same time. They're likely to beat on a hippo in the other order.

Reefpharmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my friend is breaking down his tank and offered me to house his two smaller Achilles. I have my own that's larger than his. My tank is 300g.

The current inhabitants are Achilles, pow blue, naso, chevron, purple and yellow that get along fine for years . His are Achilles x2, pow blue, pow brown, naso, chevron, purple x2, yellow.

I realize it sounds nuts but I saw a friends tank which had a TON of fish that were aggressive and others that were not so and there wasn't any damage on them due to "lack of territories". He did have a large filtration system that handles these fish.

So is it possible or 6 likeshaped fish are a death sentence ?

I could remove a few of my larger fish to help curb some stress

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my friend is breaking down his tank and offered me to house his two smaller Achilles. I have my own that's larger than his. My tank is 300g.

The current inhabitants are Achilles, pow blue, naso, chevron, purple and yellow that get along fine for years . His are Achilles x2, pow blue, pow brown, naso, chevron, purple x2, yellow.

I realize it sounds nuts but I saw a friends tank which had a TON of fish that were aggressive and others that were not so and there wasn't any damage on them due to "lack of territories". He did have a large filtration system that handles these fish.

So is it possible or 6 likeshaped fish are a death sentence ?

I could remove a few of my larger fish to help curb some stress
Well, I worry about this. Honestly though, with that many tangs, it may work. I would monitor the powder blues above everything else. If this fails it will most likely be between them. The Achilles may not tolerate them either but an established powder blue with another powder blue added is my biggest worry. You should be sure ALL fish are parasite free, because with that many tangs especially of the acanthurus genus you are creating a feeding frenzy for parasites that may be present and the whole thing could spiral out of control. I'm ewuallly if not more worried about that occurring.

Perhaps the addition of all of those fish will shock everyone and no one fish will be singled out. I would have a social acclimation box on hand just in case-- and have a plan C if something goes awry.

Good luck!

Reefpharmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can rehome my/his powder blue. That's not an issue. My concern is about the Achilles mostly. I can trade my large purple for smaller one the same size as his. I can also rehome my large chevron. Not sure about naso on naso aggression.

I was going to catch my fish and put them into 50 gallon brutes for a day or two and move some rocks around, then place everyone in together or his smaller fish in first for a few hours so they calm down

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can rehome my/his powder blue. That's not an issue. My concern is about the Achilles mostly. I can trade my large purple for smaller one the same size as his. I can also rehome my large chevron. Not sure about naso on naso aggression.

I was going to catch my fish and put them into 50 gallon brutes for a day or two and move some rocks around, then place everyone in together or his smaller fish in first for a few hours so they calm down

Mixing them in a brute isn't a bad idea but watch ammonia, tangs are VERY dirty. Use lots of prime and don't do it for more than 24 hours. Get an ammonia badge and pay close attention. That could backfire, although it's a good idea on the face of it.

Achilles will probably be OK, but it depends on your achilles' temperament. It'll overwhelm your fish. My biggest worry is the PBT. You can give it a shot, it might be a non-issue with that many tangs. Naso typically aren't aggressive fish especially amongst that many other tangs. Nothing is guaranteed though when mixing tangs, anything can happen.

I hope you have lots of salt for big water changes because that many tangs will need it! :)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back