Tang in QT with ich

blkhwkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a one spot foxface in QT for about 10 days with no issues, added a small purple tang last Tuesday. Both eat like pigs, started 1st dose of prazi Friday, planned to do a wc of 25% Wednesday and start round 2. Then I was going to run CP. Today I went to add some nori and noticed white spots on the tang. Trying to decide the best course of action to take.

QT is 29 gallon with hob filter and an air pump for 150 gallon tank with air stone so plenty of oxygen being added to the water. Thinking I get a 25% wc ready for today, then run carbon for 24 hours and get CP added tomorrow. Then run 2 doses of prazi after the 30 days in CP. Or I could do 25% wc today, get CP added today and then Friday add 2nd dose of prazi and just keep my eye out for bacterial bloom. I'm open to suggestions from the experts.

OP
OP
blkhwkz

blkhwkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just remember your QT time for the foxface starts over again when you added the tang....

Yep, I had planned on that since it was only 4 days apart :) Was going to keep them in there for 6 weeks between CP and prazi and then let them both into the DT at same time. The joys of tangs, never had ich before until I got tangs, now this is twice. At least I learned my lesson and quarantine all fish now so this is much easier to treat this time around. Helps I got a vet to write me a script for CP too after the last time.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are seeing white spots, I would abandon Prazipro for now and begin CP ASAP. I recommend observing for at least 2 weeks post CP treatment, so you'll have time to do your two rounds of Prazipro then.

OP
OP
blkhwkz

blkhwkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are seeing white spots, I would abandon Prazipro for now and begin CP ASAP. I recommend observing for at least 2 weeks post CP treatment, so you'll have time to do your two rounds of Prazipro then.

Thank you @Humblefish (yet again.) Should have water up to temp and salinity for 25% change in an hour or so and then adding CP. Appears to be about 8-10 white spots per side and looks like ich, about size of salt grains. Was no flashing or scratching or anything before this and still none so far today. I did buy a webcam I am setting up so I can keep a better eye out on things.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

+1

OP
OP
blkhwkz

blkhwkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water should be ready to go shortly and then I am going to add 1620mg/1.62g of CP (27 gallons after displacement x 60mg/gal since ich is present.)

OP
OP
blkhwkz

blkhwkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little confused, but when I went to do the water change and add the CP, most of the spots on the tang were not visible anymore. Still 2 on the left side, but the ones on the right I couldn't see anymore. Both are already doing laps and checking the clip for more nori so that's a good sign.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it's good it's eating but it's just the life cycle of ich. If you don't treat it therapeutic levels they will come back and hit twice as hard. Best to continue treatment

I agree

OP
OP
blkhwkz

blkhwkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, just thought it was odd I saw nothing last night. This morning I see it and this afternoon it's already off. CP was added when I did the water change, kind of nice to have a med I don't need to test for all the time like copper.

Went back down there a few minutes ago to add some nori and both of them nearly attacked my hand as I was attaching the clip. Acting like they didn't already eat a bunch this morning :) I really don't want to experience what a foxface sting feels like so I moved my hand faster than I have moved in a long time. Dorsal fin was up as it swam up, usually it is shy and hangs out in the back until my hand is out and then it attacks the clip.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With some strains of velvet, the trophonts can drop off after feeding for just 12 hours. With ich it's 3 days minimum.

OP
OP
blkhwkz

blkhwkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, maybe I missed them this weekend when I was looking. Little thing swims away really fast when I am down there, so I was lucky to catch it this morning. Only time I can get a good look is when he attacks the nori clip. Been watching the IP camera for a few hours now and still no signs of flashing, scratching, going into the powerhead stream, or anything out of the ordinary. Hopefully I caught it early, CP does its job, and in roughly 6 weeks I get 2 healthy active fish into the DT.

OP
OP
blkhwkz

blkhwkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far, so good. I am not seeing spots on the tang anymore. It had a little start to some HLLE when I got it that seems to be clearing up too. Must be all the nori soaked in selcon. Got some more nori today so I can switch between green, red, and purple now. Both fish are still active and eat a lot, not seeing any sides so far from the CP at 6omg/gal. The foxface used to sleep behind the heater, but the last few days they sleep in the bottom corner together. Kind of funny when I go to turn the lights on and they are pressed up against each other. I definitely don't miss testing for copper daily and trying to interpret the color change :D

OP
OP
blkhwkz

blkhwkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I noticed the QT has a foam in it (only on the surface of the water), pretty much looks like when you use kitchen soap in a pan. Even the bottom of the lid was covered in the foam. The water is slightly cloudy, but not to bad, no ammonia according to the badge and a test. Going to get a 25% water change ready and dose the water with CP before adding it. I am wondering if the foam might be from the Oxybispropanol in prazi pro? I had been running prazi until I saw ich and did a 25% water change and started the CP. That was last Monday so seems kind of odd this is happening today. Doesn't seem to bother the fish, the fox face is actually going up and playing in it. I am going out of town tomorrow morning for a 1 day business trip so figure I would rather get a water change done today and not have to worry while I am gone. I wash my hands before they go in the tank and nothing else has been added. There are always a ton of bubbles from the air pump and air stone, but never seen a foam like this. Never saw this foam when I ran prazi for a few doses in my last round of fish in QT, but that was also pulled out with carbon and a large water change.

OP
OP
blkhwkz

blkhwkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today is the halfway point of CP. No signs of any issues with either fish. The minor HLLE the tang had when I got it appears to be completely gone. Tang and fox face eat plenty of nori and Rod's herbivore blend. Both looking fat and healthy. Really to bad there are certain fish on my stocking list that have issues with CP as this has been much easier than copper.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today is the halfway point of CP. No signs of any issues with either fish. The minor HLLE the tang had when I got it appears to be completely gone. Tang and fox face eat plenty of nori and Rod's herbivore blend. Both looking fat and healthy. Really to bad there are certain fish on my stocking list that have issues with CP as this has been much easier than copper.

More research will be done in the future to try to narrow the "CP intolerant species" list down. o_O

OP
OP
blkhwkz

blkhwkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish have you had any issues with purple tangs and CP? Mine was doing great, very active and eating the first 17 days. Now it has not eaten since Thursday night, the fox face still eats. Tang won't go near the nori and I put some Rod's in last night and it literally got hit in the face with food and swam away from it. No other symptoms that I have seen other than stopped eating, maybe a little lethargic. Swims around, but not as much as it did when I first got it.

I've been running at 60mg/gal, wondering if I should do a water change and lower the concentration a bit while still trying to keep it in therapeutic range. 27 gallons of water, was thinking a 7 gallon water change should still have it around 45mg/ gallon if I don't add any to the new water.

Last edited:

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 131 59.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 29.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 78 35.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.7%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.6%
Back