Tank scratches

blacktippr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the tank is Acrylic it's possible to buff out. I don't believe there is a way to polish glass.

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is cerium oxide that can be used but you would need to drain your tank and if the scratch can be felt with your fingernail you're not going to get it out. Other than that it's a professional job.

sheepdog76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are YouTube videos on polishing light scratches out of glass but I wouldn't do it on a full tank it is a long processes and uses compounds and sandpaper. Rule of thumb is if your finger nail gets in the scratch it won't come out.

Joshky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give up on buffing scratches out and buy a new tank, cerium oxide can do more harm than good. Speaking from personal experience.

sheepdog76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tend to agree with joshky if the scratches bother you that much don't set it up and get a new one just not worth the trouble unless it's a huge tank

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I worked at a glass company. Like was mentioned if the scratch is deep (you can feel it with your fingernail), you'll wind up distorting the glass buffing it out. Light scratches can be buffed using a drill with a buffing ball and Cerium Oxide and you need to spray water as your buffing to lubrcate, it gets really messy. If you plan on trying to buff it out yourself, practice on a spare piece of glass first. It takes a light hand, if your too aggressive with the pad you can make it worse. Good luck.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 75 86.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back